The Bengals game is going to be a watershed for the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

On Sunday we're going to see a major change in how the Jets are perceived by the rest of the NFL, the media and the fans.

If the Jets manage to go into Cincinnati and pull out a win a lot of the gloom and doom talk will go away. We'll look like a team that maybe has some possibilities to right itself and finish well this season. Eric Mangini will have a lot of pressure removed at just the right time and will be able to concentrate on improving the team's performance one step at a time for the rest of the season.

If the Jets go into Cincinnati and get blown out, particularly with Chad at QB, they're going to get written off as a badly coached team with very little effective talent on the roster. Mangini's postgame press conference will probably be as tough as anything anybody has faced since the wheels were falling off Joe Walton's Jets in the late 80's. It's not unreasonable to say that the Mangini deathwatch will begin as cynical reporters and fans recall previous Jets administrations that crumpled under the realities of losing.

I'm not really sure which way it will go, however my gut tells me that if Chad takes the field Sunday against Cincinnati and the Jets lose the team will be on the cusp of whatever is next. As a Jets fan I'm not surprised. This is what always seems to happen after a single highpoint, the inevitable fall back into the trough.

2. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I think Mangini will not get killed by the media. If we win we just delay the inevitable benching of Chad and keep the locker room and fans who hope against hope happy for another week. If the Jets get blown out and Chad plays bad there is no one in the locker room or media that can say a word for his benching. Instead of him having to make the hard choice of benching Chad a few weeks ago he will have skated on that because Chad played his way out of a job. This is the same team that was supposed to go 6-10 last year and because of a weak schedule and some luck made the playoffs. It is time to pay the piper this year and Mangini will not be blamed for this. His watch starts next April during the draft. The decisions Tangini makes on that day will dictate his success in this town.

3. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Wrong. Firstly, the Bengals are 1-4 I believe, us beating them will mean nothing. Secondly, we won't blow them out, they wont blow us out. It will be a close game of two bad teams. Thirdly, you have the belief the Jets would actually consider firing Mangini. Where did you get this from? It's such a stupid statement I cant even go into it. They were 10-6 last year and we werent even that good last year. This year, while I had high hopes, I didn't expect a record improvement. Yes, Clemens should be starting by now. However, for you to even infer that Mangini should be gone if he isnt starting by the end of the season or if they go 4-12 for Mangini to be gone is just stupid.

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I see Cincy bouncing back and kicking our asses, as we sink further into the abyss...

5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

cincy is going to kick our asses indeed

6. Br4d

You have your opinion and I have mine. I'm pretty happy with the accuracy of my opinions over time so I'll stick by my prediction that if the Jets go 3-13 or worse there's going to be a total overhaul in the regime. If not then the Jets will just go 3-13 next year also. That's just the way it works.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Someone speculated, I believe in another thread, that Pennington is only still the QB so that the heat is deflected off Mangini. The more I think about it the more I think that's true. Sounds like something Bellishit would have done. Right now all the stories are about Pennington and why Clemens should play. If Clemens starts and we still lose, what do you think all the stories will be about then?

#7 Don, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I would suspect that any fans who have any history of watching football would expect this team to lose with Clemens. The team has many holes that still have to be filled and a young QB rarely gets it done in his first or second year of starting. The Jets lost with Namath in year 1 got to 500 in year two and didn't win until year 4. The Cowboys sucked with Aikmen playing his first year with far more talent than the Jets currently have. Cutler isn't winning in Denver, Lienart sucked in Arizona. Why should we expect this team to win this year with Clemens? To blame the HC for lossing with Chad or Clemens is nuts and I suspect most fans who understand this team is in rebuild will ignore Steve Serby.

9. Br4d

Yeah but that's a dodge that has limited value and loses that value quickly. If the Jets lose to Cincinnati next weekend with Chad performing poorly all of the blame is going to wind up on Mangini for sticking with him even though he is no longer effective.

If you win ugly with an ineffective QB, as the Bears did with Grossman last season, you have some leeway to leave him in. Even if he costs you the Super Bowl.

Once you start losing with that QB you must replace him, as Lovie Smith did recently.

The Jets are losing primarily because they cannot score any points. For all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the missed tackles the last two weeks the Jets had both of those games under control assuming they could control the clock and move effectively for a few scores. They couldn't. And that's why they lost.

10. Gator

Gator Active Member

'zactly........watershed? Woodshed, maybe.

11. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

look at it this way, Cincinatti is being hurt by their bad defense, but so was Buffalo and we know what happened there. Theoretically, we should be able to run and pass against the Bengals...theoretically. Cincy has more fire power on offense than we do, and it is going to come down to who can score more, we know who will win.

If our offense comes out and plays the way they did in Buffalo, it will be a very, very lopsided Bengals victory.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

That was me suggesting that Eric was taking the no blood on the fingers route allowing CP to play his way out of the job even if it cost the NYJs some losses along the way & slowed down KC learning process. Makes you wonder if EM heart is really into the job & also brings up how smart Belly was last year when he advised EM that he was going into a very, very unevitable position & should have declined the job.

13. Br4d

One of the things that the ineffective offense is doing to the rest of the team this year is magnifying all of the other errors into huge game-breaking plays.

The missed tackles in the secondary have cost the Jets on average about 2 points a game at this point. Nugent's misses have cost the Jets 1.5 points a game. In the context of a working offense those lost points would not be devastating. As it is however the 3.5 pts a game allowed from those two sources have been just critical.

This Jets team needs to score 28 points a game to have a reasonable chance to finish strongly. Right now they are averaging a shade over half that on offense when you take into account the defensive and special teams TD's.

I'd like to think they can compete in the kind of shootout that Cleveland beat Cincinnati in earlier. The problem is that in order to do that Romeo Crennel had to take a chance and start his backup QB. I don't think we're going to take any chances at this point. I think Mangini is locked into a losing strategy.

14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I agree. They suck on defense like us but they have a QB. This will only sink us lower in the eyes of the NFL and hopefully get us closer to replacing CP for good.

15. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Every year regardless of win lose total we get hosed by the media , either over achieving (no credit) or under achieving (don’t deserve credit) so it wont mean much to me to see them call us a door mat or one of the worst teams this year! We are in limbo right now. I hear Chads names being discussed on the trade block; kind of reminisant of Kendall rumors just before they shipped him out. Once again Eric too little too late! (No takers). Who is are starting Quarter back? Against the Bengal’s we can’t afford to have no offense because we all know they are going to score at least 21 points (at a minimum). Last week was the watershed game. We blew it! This week is save some respect game.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Eric will receive no criticism for the way Chad plays this season. The team has made sure of that by universally supporting the captain. This is one downside of having a united locker room. You don't get every player's honest opinion. I can only hope that if Chad continues to slide this week, you'll see some chinks in the armor.

Having said that, it's unlikely that KC will suddenly turn this team around like VY last year in Tennessee. To those who have suggested elsewhere that we can see what we have this season and perhaps draft a Brohm or Woodson, forget it.

17. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

i honestly almost dont even care about this game.. theres really no possible way we can score more than 16 points (3 field goals, leon kickoff return) and theres absolutely no way we can hold them to less then 16

18. sect105

sect105 New Member

No way we beat Cincy. Even if we score 30 points, which we won't, you have to figure Cincy scoring that as well.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

actually the jets will likely score points but also give up just enough to lose.......

CP stats will be cooked and he will get a stay of execution for another week...at least.

jil

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

That wouldn't be a bad thing, if the reason behind it was the fact that the OC actually put some thought into how to translate Chads remaining ability into some success....