ESPN announcement: Jets listening to offers for Chad

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by youraveragejoe29, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Now we're really paying for keeping Bradway on as a glorified talent scout. He's about the only person I can think of who could be suckered into giving up real value for Chad at this point.

2. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

If they trade him, that's alright by me especially after how he played the past few games. I know he's a good QB but he seems to be making too many mistakes lately.

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

According to the Star-Ledger, Mangini was asked repeatedly about this rumor yesterday and his reply was, "Ludicrous."

4. Br4d

I don't think he knows what that word really means. It would not be inconceivable for the Jets to trade a faltering veteran QB at the deadline in order to open up space for a young guy to take over without splitting the locker room.

I also think the Jets may be paying a price for Spygate at the moment. There are a lot of organizations out there that feel the Jets gave the NFL a black eye by publicly exposing the Pat's cheating.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Did they? I don't remember them making any announcement about it. I thought it was leaked from the NFL itself. The whole concept op paying a price is ludicrous anyway as there were at least several other teams who had accused them of the same thing. Those teams just never had the proof. Even so, you could be right which to me is another reason both Tannenbaum and Mangini could be gone at the end of this year.

6. Section 227. Row 5

Oh, I agree. Just stating what the Star-Ledger reported as Mangini's response.

There are plenty of teams out there right now looking for a decent QB. In fact, the timing right now couldn't be better. But I just don't see the Jets doing it unless the offer was really off the charts.

7. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

^ Like someone's 1st pick next year?

8. rillo

rillo New Member

I don't believe any team is that dumb....but one can wish though.

9. Section 227. Row 5

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1192509370292550.xml&coll=1

Mangini Sticking With Pennington
    Coach defends his QB, play-calling

Tuesday, October 16, 2007
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

The day after yet another late-game meltdown by the Jets, coach Eric Mangini said he wouldn't have changed Sunday's play-calling and has no plans to change his quarterback.

Mangini said he'd call the same quarterback sneak on third-and-one from the Philadelphia 4-yard line, although the Eagles had nine players in the box to stop the run and Chad Pennington was stopped cold. He said he'd call the same fade pattern to wide receiver Laveranues Coles on fourth-and-one, even though it had only a 50-50 chance to succeed.

Mangini all but said giving the ball to running back Thomas Jones (24 carries, season-high 130 yards) on those two downs never crossed his mind.

Perhaps most importantly, Mangini said Pennington will be his starting quarterback on Sunday when the Jets (1-5) meet the Bengals (1-4) in Cincinnati. He should be able to move the ball against a Bengals defense that is ranked 30th in the NFL in total defense, allowing 393.2 yards per game. Cincinnati has lost four straight.

The Kellen Clemens Era will have to wait, even though Pennington has thrown six interceptions in the past three games, all losses. Mangini called rumors of the Jets possibly trading Pennington before today's 4 p.m. trading deadline "ludicrous."
    Pennington, in the midst of the worst slump of his eight-year career, completed just 11 of 21 passes for 128 yards, no touchdowns and one interception in the Jets' 16-9 loss to the Eagles on Sunday at Giants Stadium. He couldn't deliver a game-tying touchdown despite having a second-and-one at the 4-yard line with 4:46 left to play.

Asked what impressed him about Pennington's play against the Eagles -- the Jets had just one sustained drive that resulted in three points -- Mangini said he liked Pennington's play-action fakes.

In fact, Mangini wouldn't even acknowledge Pennington has made some poor decisions in recent games, throwing into coverage.

"There were some plays he wasn't happy with, and he'd like to have back, and we'd all like to have back," Mangini said yesterday. "He's the starting quarterback."

Repeatedly, Mangini tried to deflect questions about Pennington to other areas where the Jets had breakdowns, namely the 75-yard catch-and-run by Eagles wide receiver Kevin Curtis after missed tackles by cornerback Andre Dyson and safety Eric Smith.

Mangini said he's not concerned about losing the locker room because he has "high character" guys, and the move to stay with Pennington appears to be a popular one. Players shot down the notion that the strong-armed Clemens could provide a spark to an offense that has accounted for just 10 points in the past two games.

"The players want to see that. They want to see a coach sticking behind a guy," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "We'll all feed off of that. A lot of guys go through things... One guy isn't going to create a spark. The spark comes from within each individual."

Added wide receiver Laveranues Coles: "We're all making mistakes. You can't just point the blame at him. And I think that's what coach is saying by sticking with (Pennington). If you sit him down, you're putting everything on him."

Mangini again defended the calls on third and fourth down, saying the quarterback sneak and fade pattern to Coles have been successful all season. Pennington has repeatedly quick snapped for first downs on third-and-short and all four of Coles' touchdowns have come on fade patterns.

"With all those situations, those got-to-have-it situations, we practice those throughout the course of the week," he said. "So if you're in a critical situation, you're not just pulling a play from the street that you haven't really practiced. You have a gut feeling on it."

TE Chris Baker was reprimanded but not fined by the organization for his postgame comments about the Jets not giving Jones the ball on a third-and-one. He said, "You've got a guy who had damn near 100 yards in the first half, and we don't give him the ball on third-and-one?" Mangini said emotions are high after games and his office door is always open if a player has a problem....

LB Mat Chatman (foot) is eligible to come off the physically unable to perform list this week and may start practicing tomorrow.

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Remember there are 31 other teams. That's 31 other potential morons. All it takes is one stupid GM. And for certain teams chad would be a good fit. The Vikings have a monster line and a great running game. They play in a dome, I think Chad would be a lot more effective on that team.

11. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

This is the Jets we're talking about. I can't help being cynical but you find me a 30 year fan that isn't and maybe they'll share their medication with us.

I can see it now: Jets trade CP for a copy of the tapes BB had, and once they play them they realize they got Saucey Sluts 17. Junc shoots it down as a failure, Champ hails it as the deal of a lifetime, and the board becomes even more polarized.

Koolaid anyone?

12. Br4d

I was very surprised when Brian Billick did what he did after the Ravens game. There is no strong connection between Billick and Belichik that I can find, and yet Billick took a broad shot at Mangini at the first opportunity. Now Billick is a bit of a loose cannon, but he's also somebody that you would expect to see kind of neutral in the whole affair.

The fact that Billick clearly feels that Mangini (Tannenbaum, whoever) violated some unspoken rule of the coaches fraternity makes me wonder if indeed the aggressive confrontation over the Pat's cheating was worth the price.

I could see the Jets having a lot of trouble talking to organizations about things like trades for the near future as this shakes out. If that's still the situation at the next draft I'll be happy, because the Jets should just be duct-taped to a chair and gagged for the NFL draft. Just give them an index card and a pencil and a runner to take their pick up to Goodell. That would help the rebuilding process enormously at this point.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

14. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

The only teams that could potentially be interested in Chad are Arizona, Carolina, KC & Baltimore.

15. Coach K

Coach K New Member

trade him for anything please.

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Teams that might be interested:
    Chiefs
    Arizona
    Carolina
    Minnesota
    Chicago
    Atlanta

Not to mention plenty of teams would probably love to have him as a backup qb.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If Arizona offers a 5th or 6th round pick I take it.

It would work out well for both teams I would think as Arizona needs a QB in a bad way and they technically aren't out of the playoff picture.

For us, I dont know what the hell Mangini is thinking, but he's got to go to Clemens evenutally, and when he does its got to be all out. You can't play Clemens and flip back to Chad or vice/versa when they are playing bad. A switch HAS to be damn near permanent.

Thats why trading Chad wouldnt be a horrible idea, as he has many friends on the team and benching him would create quite a locker room rift. Trading him on the other hand would completely switch things up and actually make Mangini's job a little easier. And hell if Clemens gets hurt or anything, we still got two other QBs on the roster - Tui and Brad Smith. This season is almost officially over anyway what will it matter to see what Smith has, barring an injury to Clemens or something.

As for Mangini's comments about it being ludacris to trade Chad, he should keep in mind its not ultimately his decision at all, and that word from the top could come down. That would certainly be a crazy scenario.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

:rofl2: ...................

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Mangini stands behind starting QB despite 1-5 start

From ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3065698

20. JetFanInMiami

JetFanInMiami Member

no team in the nfl is interested in chad or wants him as their qb
    the jets included