Blame Rests at Tannenbaum's Feet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Jets_Fan_in_Tampa

Jets_Fan_in_Tampa New Member

Yes we have a defense giving up a lot of points, and a QB that has a weak arm, but those are not the real problems with our team. The real problem is that we have a lack of consistency and direction at the management level. We've had 7 coaches since 1990 - thats a new coach every 2.4 years. And only one coach over that time has lasted more than 3 seasons.

How can we really expect to put together a perennial contender when every 3 years we install a new head coach, new coordinators, and new systems? It's not possible.

I don't care if we run a 4-3 or a 3-4 on defense. I don't care if we run the West Coast offense or a run-n-gun style offense. BUT let's make a commitment and stick to it. Bring in the people that the coaching staff and GM want/need and let's build a winner.

I believe that we are on the right track with our last two drafts - we drafted needs on the OL and on Defense. In my opinion, if we stay committed to the plan, and keep drafting smartly we are only a couple of years away from being a serious contender.

2. Ngota is a NT in a 4-3 scheme. That's a huge difference from being a 3-4 NT. Could he handle that role? I'm not sure. What I do know is there was alot of mixed popinions on him coming out and Balty happend to be a team that was high on him.

Also, had we taken Ngota, we'd still have a HUGE hole at LT. Frankly, at this point, I'll take Brick who i KNOW is a future all pro pass protector, over Ngota who we dont even know if he could play NT in our scheme.

3. green machine

green machine New Member

So now Tannenbaum should have rebuilt the o-line by taking d-brick and mangold and filled the NT spot by taking Ngata as well - all in the same draft. Give me a break! This team had/has huge gaping holes at key positions, not to mention ridiculous contracts to players which makes it difficult to just cut them loose. It can't be done in 2 off seasons. This team's biggest problems are that the talent has been over estimated by previous management and the o-line has been ignored by same said management.

By the way Ngata is playing DE for the Ravens.

4. green machine

green machine New Member

yeah, and their offense sucks every year. 3 field goals yesterday.

5. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Quite frankly you are arguing with some of the least knowledgeable inane posters on this board. Why bother?

Like Tannenbaum can fix all the holes this team had in an offseason and a half. Their drafts have been pretty good. If they keep up the good drafting no matter how many tannenbaum sucks posts or other retarded threads this team will right itself.

6. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

And it just could be that you do not just use up your salary cap every year. They might not have liked this crop of FAs. Why lock yourself into guys you aren't crazy about with multi year contracts. We just don't know.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Instead lock Thomas and Moore into long-term contracts...

8. Yeah the Thomas move made sense last year...then they move him to strong side and he's nonexistant again.

The Moore move I dont understand at all. I dont think he's quite as bad as he's made out to be. He's average at best and supposively is a good leader. But he's exactly what we dont need at the RG spot. We have plenty of undersized athletic guys who far exceed Moore...what we need in that spot is someone w/ size and pop to improve the running game. So why sign moore long term??

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The line pass protetced well but they didn't open up running lanes and that was huige b/c we have become 1 dimensional and obviously it makes it easier for defenses. The blame is not just tannenbaum, he and Mangini are a team and they together created the kendall fiasco and avoided upgrading the OL when they knew the Kendall situation was going to happen. They are young and inexperienced at their jobs, hopefully they learned alot from this past offseason.

10. PutJerrichoIn

PutJerrichoIn Member

Question: If we were able to land Glenn Dorsey in the 2008 draft, do you think we would switch back to the 4-3? D-rob and Dorsey as are DT's would be pretty legit, and a great start to an impact defense, in my opinion

11. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

yeah, and their offense sucks every year. 3 field goals yesterday.

but they still won!! also buffalo's exposure of chad may have been more buffalo than chad, they sure put it on romo last night ( even though their special teams gave dallas the game)

12. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Wise words, but no one wants to hear this. Any sane fan knows that you cannot be successful with all the instability this franchise has seen. Sure you can be a flash in the pan, see last year, but to consistently win you need a solid CS, FO, and a commitment to it. People want quick fixes, bench him, fire him, well guess what guys, we have been doing that for decades it seems, and it does not work.

13. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

rdriven3 & jets fan in tampa..........i agree 100%. so lets axe manginitus and get us a real coach. but who?

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I do not agree.

Remember, Jets traded up from 25 to 14 and grabbed Revis. Alan Branch didn't even take off until 2nd round, for instance. Granted, the Jets had a glaring hole at CB, but then I doubt it is sensible move to trade away two day 1 picks for 1, especially if that move doesn't help the DL up front. I am not saying Branch is the answer to the DL woe - but he would have been much better fit than Robertson, at 332 lbs.

Trading for Harris pick was also uncalled for; basically, the team grabbed two players when it had to address other holes. It's not even like the team was loading up on FAs either; the team was grabbing the has-beens, washed-ups in the molds of Wadsworth and the his likes. As I do not believe that building a team through FA is the right path, I do not want to fault the FO for not going for premier FAs, but it should have been smarter with drafts. If anything, they should have learned how the 49ers in the past, and the Pats of the present always have loaded draft choices come draft day.

It's the first mistake, so I'm willing to give a pass on this fiasco, but I'd like to see how they rebound next off-season. As someone already said, I'd like to see Bradway fired as well.

15. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Alan Branch is the same type of penetrating DT as Robertson. Sure Branch outweighs Robertson by about 15 lbs, but he is 5 inches taller. He is a 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 NT. (Besides, Branch hasn't played a down yet for the Cardinals due to injury.)

16. My thoughts exactly.

Experts agreed the most comparable pro to Branch was Shaun rogers...who despite being over 350 lbs..is not a fit at 3-4 NT.