The Chad appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by winstonbiggs, Oct 7, 2007.

1. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

i love his guts, i love his heart , i love his attitude, i hate his arm, u will be a fine coach one day Mr. Pennington, but its time to step down, i would feel bad for him but i remember he has millions of dollars and i do not, so sorry chad, but its time for the kc era to begin, ty for the memories, ty for the way u represented my beloved team with class, thank you chad for goin out with dignity like i know u will

2. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Great post, Winston.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Great post winston. I agree with the entire thing.

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Hopefully the coaching staff doesn't put Chad in a position where he's going to be booed mercilessly at home next week. He doesn't deserve that especially after the nonsense earlier in the year.

5. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I have been a huge Pennington supporter through the years. I firmly believe that he was largely responsible for last year's success. I thought that he was being unfairly criticized by many Jet fans. I thought that his smarts and leadership made up for the physical limitations.

Today was just horrible. The three picks were all awful. Every passing play the Jets made was as a result of great catches by the receivers.

After today's performance, however, I no longer think he fits into the Jets' future as anything other than a backup. He just doesn't have it anymore. Today there were no excuses. The line gave him time. His passes floated. He made poor decisions. I never thought I would say this, but it is time to pass to the torch. The season is going down in flames, so let's give the ball to Clemmens and see what he can do. At worst, he gets some experience under his belt.

I believe that after a QB gets injured a few times, the QB loses his nerve and does not want to be hit. That forces the QB to throw the ball quickly even when not under pressure. Testaverde was that way after the achilles injury. Now it appears that Pennington has the same problem.

It is hard for me to say this, but the Pennington era should be over. No one can question his guts, he gave us one magical season and two other good ones, his leadership qualities are unquestioned, and he appears to be a great person. However, he is not the QB he was. He has nothing on the ball and his decision making is declining.

Bring on Clemmens.

Even with a QB change, however, the play-calling and the defense remain serious problems with this team.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Can't see anything to disagree with in this post, WB. I'm sure you remember when Joe Willie also no longer had the skills to compete, also because of injuries, and how it set the Jets back years when they desperately held on to him far too long. They need to not make the same mistake now.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Now I really am impressed. JWWS, this must have been really painful for you to post man.. :shit:

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Great, great post. But if Chad starts next week, and we get behind, this will get ugly. And it's sad because Chad is such an easy guy to root for when things are going well.

9. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Part of it is that he made a decision to go away from the "new" more body oriented mechanics he used at the beggining of last year. And his arm strength is pathetic. Seriously, how could Clemens play worse. And Brad "Not an NFL QB" Smith has a rocket compared to Chad. It is just time for him to go, but in the NFL it takes 4-5 more games at least for the change to happen after it has become obvious to EVERYONE that the change needs to be made.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Excellent callout 3rd. Next week could really get ugly in a hurry if Chad stinks up the joint. I'm just hoping Mangina comes up with some "injury" and Chad quietly does a Wally Pipp and sits the rest of the season.

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I remember sneaking into Shea at 8:30 in the morning for one of Joe's come back games, I think it was against the 49er's in the early 70's?. He came into the game and looked awful for a couple of series and we fell behind. He started hitting some passes in the second half and lead a come back that fell short. Even though we lost I felt Joe was back and I thought he was going to lead us back to glory and when we finally traded him I thought he would take the Rams to the SB, I couldn't believe we traded him. I know a lot of the young fans who grew up with Chad feel the same way about him. It's tough to move on.

#31 winstonbiggs, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  12. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Beyond Chad; I did notice that JMAc was put into a zip-lock sandwich bag for today's game and well-earned I might add.

I love Chad's heart and mind. But, we are almost surley not going to the playoffs this year and will probably have difficulty wining 7 games, so I say give Clemens some time and let him get some game experience he can carry into next year.

BTW, even with Clemens our D still stinks and our O-line can not do anything to establish a running game.

13. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I agree. Take a fucking seat Chad. I love you, but your game is over.

14. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I think benching Chad after last week's loss would have been the wrong move by Mangini. Now, I believe, it's the right move. Time to give Clemens a chance to see whether he has the goods or not. Finding out about whether Clemens has the goods will answer a question that is necessary to understand before prioritizing the offseason next year.

The idea of trading Chad is good, but unlikely to materialize IMO. I'm not sure what's holding him back from taking the next step forward will be better accomplished under any other scenario. A better running game than what the Jets have would be partly compromised by Chad's difficulty throwing down field.

All this said, I like what Chad has brought to the organization -- class and winning. I'll never forget that.

15. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I just watched Chad on the SNY post-game press conference. It was sad. He looked defeated.

As it went on, he managed to say all the right things that he has always been known to say. But throughout the whole thing it felt he wanted to cry. I think he knows he may have lost his job. He's a class act and I feel for him.

16. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Thanks for the memories Chad. You have been a class act and a true Jet. I would love to have you as the best veteran backup in the league. You will make a great coach someday. Now please do the best thing for the team and sit with dignity.

17. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I've never seen him look like that.

It's tough for fans to see a player's decline. I can't imagine how tough it is for the player, particularly one that enjoyed as much success in the league as he has.

18. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

To think I traded my signed Penny Jersey to a dude in a bar for a pitcher of beer.

Man - did I work that sucker.

19. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

#39 Flyboy, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  20. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

This whole situation is very old yellerish.

I feel so bad for the guy. I've defended him all through everything and I respect him for playing through everything, the 02, 04, and so many other times. I just don't think he's got it anymore. Its really sad because he's the first real qb that I've seen as a jet from start to finish. Kenny O was drafted 2 years before i was born, testaverde was playing way before I was a serious football fan, Chad is the first I've seen from start to finish.

He was always a resilient role model, and a stellar leader (even for looking like a nerd), and a class act. I hope the Jets keep him around for a long time as he will be a valuable asset as a mentor/coach/FO guy. I hope our fans take him out with class as well and thank him for some of the good times of late.

Kellen this team is yours, take what you've seen from a great leader and run with it.