Very Important stat about Penny ****PLEASE READ****

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets18, Oct 4, 2007.

1. letsgochad

letsgochad New Member

i agree the bills game was bad, CP's stats were good, but he did not play like I expect from our starting QB

however, lets see what he can do against the Giants

Chad was decent against the dolphins and patriots

my point is that it is still early, everyone saying the season is lost because we are 1-3, i'd like to see the stats for teams that started 1-3 and made the playoffs, anyone?

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

3. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

Did he win a game this year?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Did he complete a higher percentage of his passes.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Kellen isn't Tom Brady. He isn't going to put this team on his back, at least this year. So stop pretending he is.

4. OSUJetFan89

OSUJetFan89 New Member

But Kellen played against the ravens, Chad made a third string CB and the Bills D (ranked last in almost every stat prior to game 4) look like a pro bowlers

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

It's an unkown for Clemens, but you can bet it's true of Pennington.

6. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I tried to reply to this last night but it wouldn't load.

He was bad with that in the Miami game, but he also was throwing up at halftime because he had the flu and it was raining. I give him a pass for that, especially since we won the game. I don't feel it's a common occurence with him.

Chrebet was, and Coles is undersized receivers, who play like physical possession receivers. They go over the middle, take the hit, and make the play, and don't worry about protecting themselves. Great qualities, but those guys are going to get banged up, no matter who the QB is.

7. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

You owe me for that can of soda i just coughed up my nose.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I totally disagree with your assertion that Chad accounted for most of Chrebet's head injuries, and that he hangs players out all that often. Granted, it happens, as it happens in most instances regardles of the QB as WB said, but Vinny was the king of the hang-out pass and it was Vinny who I was afraid was going to end Chrebet's career. That was my main argument for wanting Vinny out and Chad starting in the first place. Chad doesn't hang players out to dry even a third as much as Vinny did it in 2001 and early '02.

#68 abyzmul, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  9. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Stats lie all the time.

Someone breaks a tackle and runs the ball 30 yds on a 4 yd out, and guess what... you have 34 yds per that attempt....

10. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Oh I agree that tough WRs are more suspectible to this than the more finesse orientted guys, but a large part of that is that these tough WRs will go up and get those errant passes even with defenders bearing down on them....

If a guy like Chrebet or Coles can get a ball delivered right on time, in stride with good velocity, he isn't going to take a hit just because he's tough...

We saw a lot early in Chrebet's career he'd catch passes over the middle, where later in his career he'd get nailed, but it'd be a quick pass in his bread-basket, and he'd catch it and kind of tumble to the turf minimizing the hits....

The floaters (Chad) and the high passes (O'Brien) are balls that these guys will go after and be able to catch, but they'll pay the price...

Like you guys have said, there's no solid proof to back this up, but it is my opinion that our guys take a lot of hard hits because of the way Chad throws the ball... It may not be any better or worse than it was in the past; it may just seem that way since it's fresher in my memory.... But I can tell you that our WRs take a lot more big hits than any other team I've seen the last few seasons....

It's probably a combination of their tenacity (never seen McCareins take a big hit, so that helps that argument) and the delivery of the passes.. I guess I agree it's unfair to put it all on the QB

#70 Beamen, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Funny , if you put the speech marks a little further to the right , it makes better sense.

12. Jets1958

Jets1958 New Member

exactly right

13. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Pennington SUCKS. And he brings down the team, especially the offensive line (which is not bad) and the running game. Chad has nothing left. His time has passed and we need to move on. Chad was a good QB who was average last year, but he is not even performing at that level this year. He is the poster child for stats not measuring the worth of a player. Dink and dunk pads the stats, but it is tearing this team apart. THe change will come way too late after the season is lost toally, and Chad will be and is one of the primary reasons for it. But the 2007 Chad SUCKS and needs to ride pine and hold clipboards for the rest of his time as a Jet.

14. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

:lol: :rofl2:

did you get arrested, and are trying to cop an insanity defense?

just wondering......:wink:

15. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Yep, Clemens isn't ready just like Chad wasn't in 2002, right? I guess we can just state that as fact and close the book on it. I remember that '02 offseason, those fans who were calling for Chad to start the year were crazy. How could they possibly bench Vinny? Suddenly Vinny starts playing like crap, then everyone starts calling for Chad. You can see the same thing happening now. Pennington's play is steadily declining. He was average last year, and has looked worse this year. Forget the completion %, Daunte Culpepper has one of the highest completion %'s in NFL history. Like Beamen said just watch the games. He takes the back door out of every play, like he's scared to throw the ball. It sort of reminds me of what Herm once said about him thinking too much instead of just playing the game. He is not the same guy from 2002, or even 2004 anymore. Same way Vinny wasn't the same guy from 1998. But we kept waiting for him, and he never came back. Well, I've been waiting for Chad to come back for 2 years now, and I'm starting to realize he probably isn't.

I consider myself a fan of Chad. I like his drive, his toughness, his leadership. I am just no longer a fan of his play. I was always aware of his shortcomings, and if anything they caused me to root harder for him. But I am not going to kid myself. His biggest contribution to the team is more inspirational than anything at this point. The on-field product has been lacking.

16. toontheman88

toontheman88 Member

i hate to admit it, but i have a sentimental attachment to pennington because of 02. i wanted him to restructure last year because, for some ridiculous reason, i thought he could regain that form and we could be contenders. despite making the playoffs and the entire story, he wasn't, and never will be the same. the jets have no chance this year with pennington. he puts up decent numbers and we lose. nowis the time for clemens. he settled down in the second half and looked very good against a top ranked defense. no one can deny that he made some throws that pennington has no business attempting. as much as i like seeing screen pass after screen pass during our 2 minute drill, its time to change. lets see what clemens can do and, if he isn't the answer, lets move on from there

17. jetglass

jetglass New Member

Well maybe if u took off ur clemens sunglasses you woud read what u wrote and actually understand what you are saying. You are bascially critisizing Chad for not completing passes downfield. Now tell me, how is a qb suppposed to complete passes down the field when the no playcalls are designed to do so. If you look at Chad last year when we actually had some plays designed for the deep ball, Chad was effective. The best example is the opening game against the Titans. All clemens lovers on here just blindly agree that Chad canty throw the deep ball because he has a weak arm. He can complete those passes, not as good as as the cannon armed qb's but he still can when asked to.

This is not even taking into account the fact that we have no o line and running game. Basically what im saying is that Chad should not be critisized for not completing passes down the field when the entire coaching staff doesnt have the ballo to call these plays to begin with. Dont give me thay crap that we cant run the ball b/c chad doesnt stretch the defense. We coulnt run for s--- against the Ravens defense either when clemens was in there. The problem starts and ends with the o-line.

18. jetglass

jetglass New Member

If you want a super bowl then go find another team. This team with the current O line and defense would not even sniff the superbowl with Peyton Manning as qb. Let me ask you this, how many teams in the last decade have wont a superbowl that didnt have a top tier defense and elite offensive line. Dont even think of saying the colts from last year. Peyton manning was the last reason they won last year, it was the defense that won it. Peyton Manning couldnt do s--- in the playoffs until his defense showed up last postseason. Look at Brady as well. Hes one of the best qb's ever as well and look at the help he has. Best coach ever, top defense, elite O line. So basically you are faulting Chad for needing quality players around him to win a super bowl, but ignoring the fact that even the best qb's of all time cant win superbowls without great d and oline units to help them.

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The stats aren't too encouraging. Since the league expanded the playoffs to 6 teams in each conference, of the 116 teams that have started 1-3, only 18 have made the playoffs, barely 15%. I don't know what the numbers are for 1-4, but they're obviously even worse.

20. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

The argument isn't that Chad can't complete those passes downfield, it's that he isn't trying to. He seems like he doesn't believe in his own ability. You want to think it's the coaching staff handcuffing him and not letting him throw the ball, but in reality it's Chad. I was actually just watching SNY the other day and they had Tim Hasselbeck on. He pretty much came to the same conclusion that plays are being called downfield, but Chad is too quick to go to the check down receiver. We have 2 excellent WRs, what would make you think the coaching staff is purposely calling plays to take them out of the game? And pass protection has been pretty good the past couple of games.

#80 Kris 15, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007