Very Important stat about Penny ****PLEASE READ****

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets18, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Jets18

Jets18 New Member

I am a HUGE Pennington supporter since 2002, and I have defended him on this site a number of times. I will admit during last Sundays game I was getting pissed that they weren't throwing the ball down field. I thought Penny played very well expect the 2 picks. Changing the QB isn't going to help this team, and for everyone that bitches and moans about his "4 yard bombs" please see the the stat below showing yards per attempt, Penny is 17th in the league. Stats don't lie so please can we stop just bashing Penny because this team is horrible. Because a number of guys on this list have a stronger arm then Pennington and I don't think their fans are calling for the backup to play or getting cheered when they get hurt.

Please check this link from Fox for this stats for yards per attempt:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/sortableStats?div=NFL&stable=passing&stat=passYdsAtt&dir=descending

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

That has a lot to do, pretty much everything to do with yards after catch.

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

thats only because of cotch's YAC. Juat stop with the penny bullshit. If no other reason he needs to be benched so we can see if clemens is better. The season islost anyway. There is a possibility that someone can actually be better than penny right? maybe a little?

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

YAC........

its a beautiful stat

jil

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

are they 1-3 too?

6. Jets18

Jets18 New Member

You want me to stop the Penny BS, then most of these so called fans should stop with the Clemens BS. I bet most of you fans were cheering for Penny last year when he came back, now not even 5 games everyone is bitching to have Clemens in. There are too many Jet fans that don't know what they want.

#6 Jets18, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  7. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

This seems to hold water here as well... and I too am/was/is whatever, a huge fan of Chad's

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

While unintentional, this thread only bolsters the argument for replacing Pennington with Clemens.

With the kind of receivers we have, who are capable of getting good YACs, think of the drives we'd have if those wideouts were hit in stride!

9. Section 227. Row 5

Friend, please don't classify Jets fans who want Clemens in there as "fair weather" Jets fans. I'm physically at most games, cheering my ass off, and I resent the inference that I'm not a Jets fan if I want to see what our #2 can do.

Be careful to temper your emotion. Make your point, sure, but don't finger-point. No one is accusing you of being less of a Jets fan because you want Pennington in there for all of eternity.

10. Jets18

Jets18 New Member

I am not saying "fair weather" cause some fans want Clemens in I am saying it because I don't ever remember seeing any posts last year that anyone wanted Clemens in when the entire team was winning games. I would love to see in a month or two if Penny is still in and he is winning what some fans will be saying then. I don't think this is a lost season, if we are 2-5 or 2-6 yes Clemens should play.

11. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Chad Pennington has three starts this season...

He has completed 5 passes that traveled 10+ yards in the air in each of those games, for a total of 15 on the season.... He has about 25 total passes that went over 10 yards (including YAC)....

15 out of 63 completions on the year have gone over 10 yards in the air... That's not even 25%... That's just embarrassing....

In contrast, weak-armed, inconsistent Joey Harrington of the Falcons had 12 completions of passes that traveled over 10 yards in the air IN WEEK 4!!

I haven't crunched all the numbers, but I know that, of week 4 QBs, Chad Pennington had a lower percentage of completions that were over 10 yards than any QB who won that week....

That's terrible....

His YPA is decent because

1) Cotchery, Coles and Leon stretch a lot of 3-7 yard throws into 7-20 yard plays

and

2) He throws very few incompletions, since he NEVER takes a shot downfield unless it's wide open, and instead checks down, so instead of averaging in 0's for incompletions on throws downfield, like is done with most QBs, you average in 1's, 2's and sometimes even 3's or 4's, since he's throwing to the checkdown....

Like I've been saying all year:

If you throw out the stat sheet, and simply watch the games, there is NO argument for Chad Pennington to continue to start games for this football team....

His conservative style of play plays well in the stats (YPA, Comp %, Qb Rat) but it does not help the team move the ball, score TDs, or win games

12. Beamen

Beamen New Member

You didn't see it last year because we had no idea what Clemens could do.... Chad was playing okay, and the team was winning games...

Chad was not spectacular, however, and if we had a decent backup, I'm sure there would have been calls for Chad to be replaced.....

Clemens was a rookie, and we didn't have any idea what he was capable of, so obviously we weren't clamoring for him...

And BTW....

During this year's preseason, before the losses started coming, much of this site was BEGGING for Clemens to be the starter...

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The over all QB play in the NFL sucks. 17th in this league where there are maybe 3 really good QB's pretty much says mediocre. To pull a stat where he ranks behind Joey Harrington as something meaningful says more than enough. 3 games and 1 game over 20 points and that was against the Dolphins without Thomas a team that may be the worst team in the NFL.

#13 winstonbiggs, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  14. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

There are 2 very good reasons for his YAC totals and their names are Cotch & Coles...receivers and YACcers extrodinaire. There was one play that sealed it for me last week when Cotch had to go up 2 feet in the air to catch one of noodles floaters and he got drilled!

Any penny supporters left on this board should ask themselves this:

Do you want to be 8-8 with a bunch of hobbled pro bowl receivers and an inexperienced young QB at the end of the season.

OR

Do you want to be between 6-10 and 8-8 with two healthy pro bowlers that will last for an extra 3 years after both of noodles arms fall off and possibly even have a better record due to the "spark" factor?

It's a no-brainer!

15. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

ya i agree, lets just say fuck it and see what tui is made out of lolol ...maybe crepes? or perhaps croissaints? yea i shud prolly shut up go jets

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

If we stay the course this team will be lucky to win 6 games. Starting Clemens is not "throwing away the season", it quite possibly could be "saving the season".

17. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

We want a god damn super bowl! There are people who in the past cheered Pennington on ,There was the comparison to Joe Montana in term of the west coast offense and how Montana didnt blow people away with laser passes. There's not a person on this board screaming Bench the quarter back during the 2002 season ; nothing but praise but unfortunately its a what have you done for me lately attitude . This isn't only on this site its all over the world man. Right now 60% of all Jets fans want somthing to happen. Some know what they want others don't. I want to win! If Chad's the guy who's going to win this week then that's alright. If Kellen is the Starter and we win then that's alright too. I Just want to win! (p.s. 5 yard ducks are not going to get it done) Better game plan and better game play .

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We all want a football team that wins games. Some have different views on how to get there then others. At the end of the day it's nothing but message board fodder anyway. You can pull all the Pennington stats in the world out and it won't make a difference. He's gone stale.

19. Section 227. Row 5

"There are too many Jet fans that don't know what they want."

Damn straight. I never could figure out whether I wanted the brunette, the redhead or the blonde.

20. Pilotpf

Pilotpf Member

You gotta remember that yards per attempt puts a 0 in there for an incomplete pass. With Chad's high completion percentage and great YAC receivers, His stats are inflated. If it was yards in the air per completion he would be last in the league