When We Beat The Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Italian Seafood, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Here are the wins:

1974 at the Yale Bowl (Giants home): Joe Namath calls a handoff but runs a bootleg from inside the 5 to tie it at the end of regulation. The rest of the offense thought it was going to be a handoff which sold the fake, nobody expected Joe to run at all, let alone for a TD. Then he hit Emerson Boozer for a short TD in OT for the win. It might have been the first OT game in NFL history, but I'm not sure. Ended a six game losing streak and launched a six game winning streak to finish 7-7.

1981 at Giants Stadium: Early November, Jets win 26-7, the Sack Exchange was peaking, they got Phil Simms 8 or 9 times. The Giants only score was a runback of a Chuck Ramsey punt. Blowout. Got us to 4-4-1 and helped propel us to our first playoffs in 12 years. Giants ended up making it too, at 9-7.

1988 at Giants Stadium (Jets home game): Jets came in 7-7-1, this would determine a winning or losing year; Giants needed to win to clinch the NFC East, lose and they were finished. Down three in the final minute the Jets drove into FG range. Ken O'Brien came to the line, saw Al Toon had a mismatch, changed the play and hit him for the game winning TD. Everybody was home for the holidays, Jets had bragging rights for the off season.

1993 at Giants Stadium (Giants home game): Halloween, Jets trying to get back in the playoff hunt after three bad losses. Giants had a hotshot RB, forgot his name, got crushed by Ronnie Lott at the goal line and forced a fumble. Jets led 10-6 at the end and survived a few Simms Hail Marys into the end zone.

Note: I believe the Jets also beat the Giants in the summer following the 1969 Super Bowl in a pre season game, but one of the old(er) guys will have to help me with that.

So...it's been done. Quite yer bitchin.

#1 Italian Seafood, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  2. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Oh shit! We only beat them 4 times in regular season?

3. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Hopefully we do it again.

4. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

We certainly can beat them. I think Brick will do OK against Osi, and their D isn't necessarily stellar because of one game.....so we'll see....

5. allan1

allan1 Active Member

And I believe it was Ronnie Lott who intercepted Simms in the endzone during the waning seconds (might've been 4th down)

6. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

yea i dont think their secondary is that good, if i played behind a line that had 1000000000 sacks i could play back there too, we gatta protect chad to win

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Four reasons why Osi Umenyiora had 6 sacks against the Eagles:

1. Winston Justice is a bum.
    2. Andy Reid is an idiot for not giving Justice help with a TE or RB.
    3. Philly was focused in on containing Strahan and Kiwanuka.
    4. Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield played like beasts in the middle.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The positives are in both '81 and '93 w got off to awful starts much like this year. We started 0-3 in '81 and beat the Giants on the way to a 10-5-1 season then in '93 we went into the Giants game 2-4 whle th Giants were 5-1 and we beat them. Both times w were the road team as well.

This giant team is not that good and we ar not that bad. As long as e play like we are capapbale we'll have a great shot but if we play like we did a week ago thn we will lose.

9. nyjunc

It wasn't an INT, he helped bat away a 4th down desperation pass to the EZ.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

We don't play too often, I think we're 4-5 total with Giants wins in 1984, 87, 96, 99 and 2003. All but 1987 were Jets "home" games.

Anyone remember who the RB was Lott hit at the goal line? Was it Rodney Hampton?

11. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

yes we are!!! you must not be watching the same games i have been....

12. nyjunc

'99 was a Giant home game.

Hampton was out that game, the big hit was on Lewis Tillman who fumbled at the GL a play later recovered by a rookie named Marvin Jones.

I am talking about talent wise, we aren't anywhere near as bad as we've been playing. We have played awful football but we are capable of much better.

13. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

14. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

We just got beaten against the worst defense, what do you thinks going to happen this week. We are screwed and no changes all week. What a joke.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Two games..and they are just now starting to adjust to their new system and really employing it.

16. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

If our O-line has a good game and even more importantly, our D shows up for the first time this year for 60 minutes, we have a very good chance at winning.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I still can't get out of my mind that Philadelphia put up 56 points against a not bad Detroit team the week before they played the Giants. Granted they were healthy that week and weren't against the giants but still.....

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes we beat the NYGs the summer after we won SB3 @ NH. JWN even scored a running TD. This loss cost the NYGs HC his job also. His name was Allie Sherman

BTW this game was the 1st game ever between the NYJs & NYGs

#18 championjets69, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  19. Coach K

Coach K New Member

how about this, penny is no namath and our d has no sack exchange. i dont see how any of this means shit.

20. Jets_Fan_in_Tampa

Jets_Fan_in_Tampa New Member

You're never as good or bad as your last game. This is a typical game that the Jets win.