PURE RUMOR from Fox Sports - Chad in Chitown next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ........, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The trading deadline is Tuesday Oct 16th, which is 2 days after the Jets play the Eagles.

If the Jets don't beat both Buffalo and the Giants in the next two weeks the odds are they will be 2-4 at that point and Chad will be very much on the block.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Sheesh. I was looking at September on my calendar thinking I was looking at October. Hence, my October 11 thought. If I was turned to the right page I would have said 10/9 or 10/16, since the deadline is always on a Tuesday.

Anyway, I can't believe any team would trade for Pennington during the season. He wouldn't start for the new team right away, so they'd have this period of time where they had a lame duck QB. That didn't work out well for Denver last year against Kansas City on Thanksgiving night.

3. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

So............you were drunk??????????????

4. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

We ain't trading Chad.................forget it

5. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

The writter must be an Anti-Chad Jets fan.

6. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I can't see Chad being traded. He is the center of the team, the embodiment of the attitude of a jet.

7. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

Not a chance. This is just silly. I know a lot a people on hear don;t like Chad, but come on.

No team has ever traded away their starting QB (who by the way has looked pretty good this year) and offensive leader at the trading deadline.

8. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

Without Chad we'd be 0-3!! Like everyone else has been saying he's been the best player on this team this year so far!!

9. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

this wouldnt happen because there is no solid backup and Chad has already taken a pay cut so its not like hes a burden on the pocket. If chad doesnt win the super bowl this year i see him as #2 next year and as a mentor/qb coach for Kellen. Chad will remain a Jet forever this thread is done.

10. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Well, not forever, Clemens will be the starter. But not this year, barring a complete collapse that I don't see happening. As to next year, I would have to know what kind of salary and bonuses Chad may be due to say whether he prices himself out of town. (Keep in mind, if the coaches are ready for Clemens, it won't matter what kind of money Chad is making, he will be gone.)

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Chad would most likely not be traded in the offseason, he will absolutely not be traded in season.

12. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

If we could get a pair of game worn cleats and a roll of underwrap for Chad ? we would be robbing someone.

13. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Hell no. That's ridiculous. I can't believe people would even consider trading chad during this season. If it is ever looked at, it will be this offseason, when we know what he have below him.

14. JetsLookingforDWare

...Mediocrity is OK?

Can we...not have that attitude?

I like Chad, but he's not the future.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Chad will be our quarterback forever and ever, the end, infinity times a zillion.

16. Br4d

Ok, so here is the list (I think) of QB's, many of them multi-year starters for their team, who came into the season as the starting QB - played a few games and were traded to a different team. Some of the names will surprise you, they certainly surprised me.

From earliest to latest to keep things in perspective:

1. Bobby Lane (1958) - Detroit Lion's QB of long standing. Made the pro bowl in 1951, 1952, 1953 and 1956. In 1957 he lead the Lions to the NFL championship, his 3rd championship in 5 years. In 1958 with the emergence of Tobin Rote as the heir apparent he was traded in mid-season to the Pittsburgh Steelers and made the pro bowl for them in 1959.

If Layne could go, anybody can go.

2. Jack Kemp (1962) - San Diego's two year starting QB, traded to Buffalo in mid season where he continued to make the pro bowl, having made his first in 1961 with the Chargers, then made the pro bowl in the season he QB'd both the Chargers and the Bills and then made it 5 times in 6 years.

If Kemp could go, anybody can go.

3. John Hadl (1974) - Distinguished journeyman QB who made the pro bowl 6 times. Traded from San Diego to LA in 1973 and made the pro bowl for the Rams while leading them the playoffs for the first time in 4 years. Didn't stop them from trading him to Green Bay before the deadline the next season as Roman Gabriel came on strong.

4. Norm Snead (1974) - Two year starter for the Giants who made the pro bowl in 1972 and was traded in midseason to San Francisco in 1974 after entering the year as the Giant's starter.

5. Archie Manning (1982) -Mr Saint. Made the pro bowl in 1978 and 1979 and was traded midseason in 1982 to the Houston Oilers.

6. Steve DeBerg (1993) - Undistinguished journeyman, entered 1993 as the Tampa starter and was traded south to Miami at the deadline. Marino must have gotten hurt or something.

7. Bernie Kosar (1993) - Undisputed leader of the Cleveland Browns who clashed with Bill Belichik. Traded to Dallas at the deadline after entering the season as starting QB.

8. Kerry Collins (1998) - Pro Bowl QB in 1996 when he lead the Panthers to the NFC championship game, traded to New Orleans at the deadline after being the starting QB at the start of the season.

That's the list of starting QB's that I could find that had been traded suddenly midseason when something was going wrong. A few of them have greatly surpassed Chad's actual accomplishments with the Jets.

17. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Even if Chad is not the future, how does that mean that we need to trade him at this point?

18. Br4d

Damn internet. Double post.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Most of those were pre-salary cap era, which is a big deal. It would be hard to compare those situations to the 2007 Jets.

DeBerg in '93 can't compare to Pennington in '07 because DeBerg was in his 16th year. A bad team does not need such an old bastard at QB. Craig Erickson took over the job. DeBerg started one game; Erickson started the other 15.

The Kosar situation is your best example, until you look at the fact he started only three games the rest of his career.

Collins had off-field issues (alcohol and calling a teammate a nigger) and the Panthers simply had to remove him.

That said, I am not sure any of those three guys were traded. I seem to recall Kosar and Collins simply being cut. I could be mistaken about that, however.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I am correct about Collins. New Orleans claimed him off waivers on October 14, 1998.