R.I.P. Drob/Pouha

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Sep 23, 2007.

1. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

Yeah if this trend continues and the D doesnt show vast improvement in the coming games i can see us drpooing Sutton and completely revamping the line.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets would be better with just a competent NT who can play the position than with the flashes of brilliance and failure that they get out of D-Rob.

Face it, they have been gashed in the run D since they put the 3-4 in and that is the NT's problem. Last year we all saw them get stiffer against the run when Rashad Moore came in in the middle to spell D-Rob. Moore just didn't have the endurance to play more than a few downs in a row and so he got cut in the offseason.

The day we get a competent NT in the middle of the D most of the current issues we have will go away, probably including the Vilma issue.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mmm this was said all last off season if you recollect & look what we got NADA. It is like Rome is burning & Tan/DC are just to plain stubborn to see it. Maybe, just maybe it is because the D players have no abilitiies typical of NYJ players for so many year which as you know being a long time NYJ fan have been less then quality players

4. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i know you think hes garbage but he wasnt that bad yesterday. he held his gap most of the time. its not his job to make tackles. but he is out of position, anyone who disagrees with that is blind.

i think more like RIP Vilma. and yes Robertson, cause if I'm him no way to I want to play in a 3-4. Robertson would be a tank in a 4-3 and I hope he does go to some 4-3 team.

Mangini can shove his 3-4 up his ass. I'm about tired of it. At this rate we wont have a reasonable defense on the field for another 3 yrs by the time we lose all of our best front 7 players best equipped for a 4-3 and find legit 3-4 players to replace em.

5. championjets69

Like I am been saying earliest we will be true contenders is 2010 due to all the players we have to upgrade

6. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

As long as Mangini wants to try and fit 4-3 round Pegs into a 3-4 square hole we will be at least 3-5 years away.

7. championjets69

Tan is beginning to remind me more & more of Herm. Stubborn, subbornier & subboniest seems to fit him just like it fit Herm

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You can never tell what a good offseason can do for a team. Looking 3 years down the road never works in the NFL because you lose so many chips each season just to the grind of the game.

In 2010 Coles will likely be gone along with Chris Baker (injury prone and tightend is not a longevity position anyway due to the excessive physical contact against players 30-60 lbs heavier than you) and Shaun Ellis.

So not only do we have to replace the holes we have today but also some of the players who aren't holes.

What the Jets need to do is to take a long look at what is and is not working on defense and fix ALL of that this offseason. They added a piece or two in Revis and Harris this year but injuries will undo that patching if they try to incrementally upgrade again for a run in 2009 or 2010.

You're in one of three positions in the NFL each year: winner, also-ran or trampling victim. You have to move up the rung all at once or you'll never get where you want to be. Right now the Jets are (and have been since 1999) an also-ran. If they keep trying to be "smart" with things like the tradeups that sacrifice depth and useless longshot free agent signings they're going to turn into a trampling victim in no time flat. This team is already much worse than the roster the Jets put on the field in 2004.

9. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

D Rob doesn't suk at all. It's like some of the fans on this site putting Brick down for no reason, now wiping off the sh-t off their faces this morning.

10. sourceworx

sourceworx New Member

The thing that many of you "We need to go to a 4-3" guys forget is that in 2005 our defense (which was made up with many of these players) sucked just as bad once Jason Ferguson left. The problem then is the same problem as now: no big man to take double teams that free the LBs to make plays.

The square pegs in round holes is bullshit. Our defense sucks because our players suck. Ellis needs to go, DROB should either play DE in this defense or he should leave as well. You put 3 big bodies up front and you'll see Vilma start looking like a superstar in the 3-4.

11. championjets69

QUALITY D/Lman do not grow on trees & are usually resigned to the team they are on which pays them the big bucks to keep them. So that leaves the draft which is hit or miss which is why I say 2010 or beyond. We also NEED LBers besides Harris & DBF players besides Revis. That is really a tall order to get done in a year or 2

12. FOURTHANDLONG

Our D-line does s**k no matter who we put on the field but the guys we have on the field are not suited to play the defense we are in. The only think switching to a 4-3 would accomplish would be getting more tackles for JV! We are rebuilding and need depth!

13. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

anyone see Dorsey play for LSU?

if you put him in the middle and slide D-Rob over to DE, that might make a big difference.

14. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

? (He said what?)?

15. sourceworx

sourceworx New Member

Just like on offense, it all starts up front. If your line sucks, the whole unit does.

Our offense played well because the line did a great job of protecting Chad and opening up holes for Jones.

Our defense sucked because the line was porous and still didn't generate enough pressure on Trent Green.

16. Unfortunately Dorsey and D rob are very similar players. Much like D rob Dorsey is a better fit as a UT in a 4-3 scheme, shooting gaps and penetrating. Also much like D rob he'd be a better fit as a DE in the 3-4.

17. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

You can't get mad at DRob for not being a good fit. What we should do is trade him away to a team that needs a 4-3 DT. Pouha has the right size but he needs experience, he was injured last year as I recall. The Jets should go crazy next year and sign two DTs and two NTs (maybe draft one of each early on) to ensure that we can get the best line possible. I agree DRob wont be back but lets not put blame in places where it doesn't belong.

18. boomer

boomer Active Member

Stupid thread title.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

We played well because we played the Worst team in the Nfl. Let's wait until we play the Cowboys, Eagles, Steelers, Bengals and even the Giants before we get gung ho.

20. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Agreed. DRob has played well enough that we should be looking to move him to DE when we draft a NT this year.