Billick cried for nothing?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetzIII, Sep 19, 2007.

1. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Evidently, Billick's original remarks struck a nerve with Mangini, who is being painted as the bad guy for reporting Belichick's blatant disregard for league rules. Mangini phoned Billick to let him know the Jets "weren't trying to pull anything illegal or duplicitous," Billick said. "He called to make sure I knew it was nothing by design," Billick said. "Halfheartedly, I said, 'You're better than me.' I coach it. Frankly, we don't get away with it that often. That's gamesmanship."

So this means Billick does the samething?? What a joke:drunk:

2. CanadaGreen

CanadaGreen New Member

Talk about a story that's been way overblown. This wouldn't of even made the papers if the Jets wouldn't have ratted out Belicheat. If Billick coaches his lineman to shout out snap counts, why did he bring it up in the first place...what a loser!

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That probably is why he said the Jets did a very good job of it. Like I said there is a major difference between a penalty that should be called a blatent cheating like what the Pats did. Funny I don't hear anybody talking about this on sportsradio...... because it's a non issue unlike chicken and his cheating.

4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I don't remember what game, but I remember that Tony Siragusa definitely used to do this shit in games and get away with it.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

source?

(filler)

6. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

#6 kbgreen, Sep 19, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  7. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

From the article above...

Billick and Mangini spoke yesterday - Mangini placed the first call - and Billick made it sound like the conversation ended on good terms. He insisted he wasn't thinking about the Jets-Patriots video scandal when he made his comments on Monday, which sparked a firestorm. "This isn't New England, Part II," he said from the Ravens' offices.

Evidently, Billick's original remarks struck a nerve with Mangini, who is being painted as the bad guy for reporting Belichick's blatant disregard for league rules. Mangini phoned Billick to let him know the Jets "weren't trying to pull anything illegal or duplicitous," Billick said. "He called to make sure I knew it was nothing by design," Billick said. "Halfheartedly, I said, 'You're better than me.' I coach it. Frankly, we don't get away with it that often. That's gamesmanship."

8. kbgreen

Here is what pete kendall said:

Are the Jets chronic simulators? Not according to former left guard Pete Kendall, the last person you'd expect to defend the Jets. His daily rants over his contract situation led to a bitter divorce last month, but when reached yesterday by the Daily News, Kendall said he never heard of any Jets defensive players deliberately calling out a cadence to make the offense jump offsides.

"I don't believe that was taught," Kendall said. "Did it happen a time or two in training camp? Sure. Every once in awhile, a wise-guy defensive lineman would look to have some fun, but I don't think it was institutional. Could it have happened in the defensive meeting room? Of course, but in three years there, with the relationships I had with guys on the other side of the ball, at some point I would've heard somebody laughing or joking about how they got an offensive lineman to jump off side in a game by simulating a snap count - and that didn't happen."

Kendall sticking up for the Jets. Can this story get any stranger?

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

So now Billick himself is calling it gamesmanship. What so you Alio?

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Was just about to point that out.

Kendall sticking up for the Jets is strange indeed. This story should go away fast. It would have barely made a blip if not for the events of the week before.

Perhaps Billick was pissed about being passed over for the Sapronos spot.

11. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

For gods sake - can we just play some football. enough is enough already.

12. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

I agree, Vick. I've had more than enough Belichick vs. Mangini vs. Billick to last me five seasons. And MTVSPN can't get enough of this shit, so it won't go away any time soon. I'm actually craving some Dolphins threads around here.

13. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

anybody follow the link at the bottom, which leads to the Jets fan accusing the dolphins of going to Jets Practices? thought it was kind of funny. but not exactly surprising. I mean come on, if fans are allowed in, any little time scout for a team could sneak right in wearing Jets garb, and take notes of everything, and then head on home with mounds of information for his home squad.

Also thought it was cool that Kendall doesnt think Mangini teaches the signal simulation. kind of cool. It wouldn't have surprised me if Kendall had lied and said that mangini taught it. So it kind of makes me think Kendall isnt such a bad guy after all.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This so much reminds me of Arod yelling "HA" and gettin the Toronto 3rd baseman to give up on the ball and let it drop in for a hit. Everybody under the sun called it bush league..yada..yada..yada. Until one the all time great coaches, Earl Wever, came out and said it was a great play by Arod. He coached his players to do that everytime he could. Every manager did in those days and that's exactly how the game should be played. Do anything you can to win that is legal.

15. kelly

kelly Banned

" Eric confirms that he called Billick & signing the OG " ~ ~ ~

09/19 ? Eric Mangini opened today's news conference with some newsy items that have come up the last few days.The Jets head coach confirmed reports that he called Baltimore coach Brian Billick following Billick's charge late Monday that the Jets were illegal simulating offensive signals that caused the Ravens to false-start a few times in Sunday's game."I talked with Brian yesterday. We had a good conversation," Mangini said. "It was important to me that we talked. I wanted him to know we don't coach things that cause penalties, we don't believe in getting penalties and that's something we work to minimize at all times. ... I felt very good about the conversation."

Mangini also commented for the first time on the word Tuesday afternoon that the team had placed Justin Miller on IR, and it was clear that the coach really felt badly for the player that he saw make great strides this summer in improving his corner play and continuing to excel as a Pro Bowl kickoff returner."I'm extremely disappointed for Justin," Mangini said. "I thought he had a really good off-season. [Defensive line assistant coach] Bryan Cox and he actually spent a lot of time together. I saw that quite a bit, I saw Justin practice, I saw him in meetings ? he took some of the most impressive notes of any of the players. All those things add up. It's tough, it's tough."

The coach also announced that the Jets filled Miller's active-roster spot by signing free agent OL Will Montgomery, a Virginia Tech product and a strongman who did 35 reps in the 225-pound bench press at the 2006 combine workouts. Montgomery was Carolina's seventh-round pick in that draft and played in six games, starting four. He was a final cut of the Panthers earlier this month."I really liked his motor," Mangini said of watching video of Montgomery. "I thought he showed good pinch on second level. He's got good toughness and he's a good kid. He's played both guard and center and has some flexibility to go out to tackle."

Cotchery's Big Day Revisited

Two notes on Jerricho Cotchery's career 165-yard receiving game vs. the Ravens. Unofficially, Cotchery racked up 88 yards after catch on his seven receptions. That's the most in a game by a Jets wideout since Keyshawn Johnson notched 100 YAC in the 1999 season opener vs. New England. The only other player to top J-Co's YAC total since then was Leon Washington with 115 yards last Christmas night at Miami.And Cotchery was only the third Jet in at least the last 12 seasons to record two catches of 40-plus yards in the same game. Here's the list:

Season Receiver Quarterback Opp. Yardage
    1999 Keyshawn Johnson Tom Tupa vs. N.E. 50, 65
    2003 Santana Moss Chad Pennington at Oak. 65, 43
    2007 Jerricho Cotchery Kellen Clemens at Bal. 44, 50

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/post...all-to-billick

16. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

1999 Keyshawn Johnson Tom Tupa vs. N.E. 50, 65

i always thought it wouldve been interesting to see Tupa play even for a quarter. After Vinny went down and he threw that TD i was like what!

17. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

From
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ian_billicks_gripe_could_be_retaliator-3.html

Brian Billick's gripe could be retaliatory

First it was SpyGate. Now there's CryGate, and the one doing the crying is Ravens coach Brian Billick, who complained about the Jets "illegally simulating" his team's snap count in Sunday's game. The result: Three false-start penalties for the Ravens and the perception that Billick was accusing Eric Mangini of cheating.

It also fueled speculation that Billick, acting on behalf of the coaching fraternity, was calling out Mangini for blowing the whistle on former mentor Bill Belichick, supposedly a violation of some unwritten coaches' code. Not true at all, according to Billick, who told the Daily News last night that he was more upset with the officials than the Jets' alleged tactics.

Billick and Mangini spoke yesterday - Mangini placed the first call - and Billick made it sound like the conversation ended on good terms. He insisted he wasn't thinking about the Jets-Patriots video scandal when he made his comments on Monday, which sparked a firestorm. "This isn't New England, Part II," he said from the Ravens' offices.

Mangini's reputation is taking an unfair hit, with this wild notion out there that he's an ungrateful snitch. Was anybody calling Belichick a rat for filing tampering charges against Mangini last year in the Deion Branch case? Here's one way to look at Mangini's role in Spy-Gate: What if a former Pepsi executive went to work for Coke and suspected his old company of trying to steal its secret recipe? Should he look the other way or try to stop it?

Nevertheless, Billick's original comments created a buzz in the coaching community.

"I'm sure he's sending a message to Mangini: 'Everybody knows you were part of that (in New England), and it's not right that you ratted out the team that gave you a chance to get a head job,' " said one NFC assistant coach, who has long suspected the Patriots of chicanery.

Teams try to simulate snap counts all the time, according to coaches and players. It's supposed to be an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty on the defense, but the Jets didn't get busted once last Sunday. In theory, it should be difficult for a road team to get away with it, considering it's usually quiet in the stadium when the home team has the ball.

Are the Jets chronic simulators? Not according to former left guard Pete Kendall, the last person you'd expect to defend the Jets. His daily rants over his contract situation led to a bitter divorce last month, but when reached yesterday by the Daily News, Kendall said he never heard of any Jets defensive players deliberately calling out a cadence to make the offense jump offsides.

"I don't believe that was taught," Kendall said. "Did it happen a time or two in training camp? Sure. Every once in awhile, a wise-guy defensive lineman would look to have some fun, but I don't think it was institutional. Could it have happened in the defensive meeting room? Of course, but in three years there, with the relationships I had with guys on the other side of the ball, at some point I would've heard somebody laughing or joking about how they got an offensive lineman to jump off side in a game by simulating a snap count - and that didn't happen."

Kendall sticking up for the Jets. Can this story get any stranger?

That gave you a chance to get a head coaching job?! WTF The Pats locked Mangini out and started all the hate when Belli turned into an asshole. GTFOOH...

18. woodall's clipboard

woodall's clipboard New Member

<b>I talked with Brian yesterday. We had a good conversation," Mangini said. "It was important to me that we talked. I wanted him to know we don't coach things that cause penalties, we don't believe in getting penalties and that's something we work to minimize at all times. ... I felt very good about the conversation."</b>

So Mangini didn't actually deny doing it, only that "we dont coach things that cause penalties."
    I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Mangini told Billick that the Jets don't do what they were accused of, and Billick admitted he does.

Now how about you go STFU.

20. kbgreen

Except that Earl Weaver would have to have condemmed AROD first then the next day come back and say he coaches his players to do it!