Penny is starting this week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Sep 18, 2007.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that is nonsense. both of those teams were not only among a handful of Super Bowl favorites going into those years, they were legit SB contenders for several years leading up to that, so you have no point. the year before they won, the Colts had the best record in the league but were beaten by the eventually SB winners, the Steelers, who had the best record in the league the year before, but were beaten by the eventual SB winners the Patriots, who had the best record in the league the year before. see a pattern?

that hardly equates to a team sneaking up and surprising people with a championship. they simply finally put it all together for a complete playoff run, but nobody in their right mind considered either of those teams a shock to win the SB those years.

#41 JetBlue, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  2. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

good. i'm ready for our first W

3. ........

........ Trolls

I sincerely hope you don't mean the 08 draft. Whether Clemens can be the guy for this franchise remains to be seen, but you don't simply give him this season to prove himself. In a QB's first season, you frequently only catch glimpses of brilliance, which is what we saw in the 4th quarter yesterday.

4. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

We will win either way, but I'd rather keep letting KC improve.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wow..what are you saying? Clemens is a ton more athletic and mobile then Pennington ever was. I guess you are saying if Clemens will get killed then Pennington will get worse then killed (whatever that may be).

6. Don

Glad to see some people coming around to what I have been trying to say even before the draft. We needed to spend money on free agents (we had it for once), we needed to fix the defensive and offensive lines (instead we trade one of our better ones with no one to replace him with) and we needed to use all of our draft picks and not bundle them together for two people who may be good but not what we needed this year.

Oh, and for the last time we should have taken Moss. We could have. Supposedly Mangini got this whole character bullshit theory from Bellishit..well, it didn't stop him from taking Moss.

7. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

What I am saying is you do not tank a season, you play the player that will give you the best chance to win. Piss on Clemens getting experience, I think Rivers did just fine coming in after Brees with very minimal experience. The Broncos had a chance to make the playoffs last year, but they just gave it up by throwing Plummer under the bus and starting Cutler. You do not know what is going to happen once you are in the playoffs.

You can say what you want about INDY and PITT, but when the playoffs started, you would not have put any money on either one to win the Superbowl. If you say that you realistically thought they would win, you are lying. The Colts had the absolute worse defense and everybody on this board had them losing to the Chiefs. The Steelers won 3 road games, one in Indy where they do not lose and probably would have not lost if they did not have the issues with Dungy's son, and they won at Denver where the Broncos very rarely lose. It is easy to say that everyone knew that the Steelers and the Colts were going to win the Superbowl after the fact.

You have to agree that we had high hopes after the 2004 season, but looked what happened. You do what you can to win in the present, or you are just the Jets of the pre Parcells era, perenial losers.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

That's a joke right there, the Chiefs were a one trick pony going into Indy's house. The Colts were a heavy favorite in that game. I don't remeber a single person on this board other than maybe Junc who thought the Chiefs were winning in Indy.

9. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

C'mon, Kurt. I am pretty sure that Mangini knows exactly what he has in Clemens, and how his development is going. This is the right move. Don't worry, Clemens will get his chance next year when Chad is let go. In the mean time, just root for Chad to do well.

10. winstonbiggs

I kind of agree that's the plan but I'm betting that Shot is going to have a few frustrating moments with check down Chad and will be lobbying for Clemens sooner than people think.

11. Don

The real problem with the Baltimore game isn't who was or was not playing QB. We scored 13 points on the best defensive team in the NFL. That would have been plenty to beat them even 2 years ago. The real problem is we let their offense led by Kyle Fuckin Boller of all people score 20 against us.

So really, I don't care who plays QB we won't score enough to overcome what we give up in our vaunted 3-4.

12. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I am totally befuddled as to why people think giving the reins to Kellen is giving up on the season. In that fourth quarter, he played as well as Chad EVER has and did things that Chad can no longer do for us. When you think of what happened in the first three quarters, and the way he GREW in just that game, I think it is a HORRIBLE decision to go back to Chad if we do. Whether the Chad fan base will admit it or not, there is almost ZERO chance of Chad even being on the roster next year because of his contract, so you are just holding up the development of your future QB, for the very slight chance that Chad will win a game or two more than Kellen. It really is ridiculous. Chad is done. Sad thing is that we play three 0-2 teams in a row, and if we win them everyone will say that "Chad won them" when in reality that is the farthest thing from the truth. We will win more games with Kellen as QB THIS YEAR than Chad because of the way defenses will have to defend us. Starting Chad again is a loser move all the way, and actually makes me angry. ( I will root for Chad will all my hear if he plays though).

13. JetBlue

your post actually negates your point. you say screw playing Clemmens to get experience, and then say Rivers did fine stepping in for Brees with minimal experience. so fine, throw Clemmens in without experience if he doesn't need it to be succesful. what does it matter whether it is this year or next if he may do great?

secondly, it doesn't matter whether the Colts or Steelers were the favorites going into the playoffs those specific years, it only matters that they were legitimate SB contenders not just those years but for years before. that isn't even comparable to the Jets, who are not legitimate SB contenders. the Colts and Steelers didn't get lucky when they won, they just played great in the playoffs after years of playing great in the regular season. the Jets haven't had a great team in years, or had a great season in which they were viable SB contenders, so you haven't made an honest comparison at all.

though I find it dubious that you fail to mention the other teams that made the playoffs but did not win the past few years, like the Chiefs, or the Chargers of a few years ago, or the Redskins or Bucs from two years ago -- teams that had decent seasons and made a good run into the playoffs but weren't real SB contenders -- those are teams the Jets are more comparable to, not the Steelers and Colts who have had dominating teams for years but just happened to win the years they weren't the favorites entering the playoffs. and those teams all lost.

you have just made an awful argument, that is all I am saying. the NFL isn't the Stanley Cup playoffs where once you get in, you have a chance to win. who is the last team to make the Super Bowl and win that was an utter shock? the Pats first Super Bowl win, that is all. the rest of the winners of the past decades were teams that were SB favorites either going into the season or when they got into the playoffs. The Jets are neither, so the argument isn't applicable.

#53 JetBlue, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  14. winstonbiggs

That Pats team had a very good season after an 0 and 2 start with Bledsoe they went 11 and 3 after the QB change.

15. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Chad deserves to start--but Mangini is a pragmatist, and I believe that in games where we are behind by two scores in the fourth quarter, he will insert KC. Chad is not capable of coming back late from such deficits. Where we need chunks of yardage, I envision him utilizing Kellen. Hopefully, these situations will not arise.

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'Pragmatist', 'deficits', 'envision'. Nice. Real English. Let's break bread together. :breakdance:

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Well, whom ever we have at QB this week, we need a W in the worst way. This team really needs a lift. I am not saying that Chad is the source; this has to be a team win whether it is Chad or Kellen back there.

This week is nearly a must win for us because the Dolphins are a team we should be able to beat.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

"Use the letter 'w' in a sentence". I'm sensing some great Jets fan street coinage for you. You should copyright that paragraph, as matter of fact. Thing is, can you do it on command like a circus monkey...? But I digress.

19. JetBlue

very good to say the least, they won the Super Bowl. that does indeed constitute very good. but be that as it may, they were still a surprise division winner that went 5-11 the year before, and were not only underdogs in the AFC Championship but were a 14 point underdogs to the powerhouse Rams in the Super Bowl. that team very well qualifies as the closest out of nowhere team to win the Super Bowl both going into the season and entering the playoffs. that can't be said for last years Colts, which were legit Super Bowl contenders entering the season even if they weren't the favorite to do so when the playoffs started. same with Pittsburgh the year before.

the point is those two teams winning the Super Bowl in no way equates to the concept that they were surprise winners, and that any team that makes the playoffs can actually win. there are very few real upset in the NFL playoffs. even the Pats over the Chargers last year hardly constitutes a real upset, or the Steelers over the Colts two years ago, except by the gamblers who have to define a "favorite".

20. NYJNYRNYM

NYJNYRNYM New Member

so if we're sticking it out with chad this year and then giving it up to clemens for sure next year, you think that'll have any impact on whether Schott stays as our OC next year? cause it'll suck if clemens finally gets his shot next year and then has to learn a whole new offensive system again. might set us back next year right off the bat...since he isnt a rhodes scholar and all! haha