Let's Settle This: Clemens or Pennington?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10toColes, Sep 16, 2007.

?

If Pennington is healthy, who should start at QB next week?

1. Pennington

52.4%
  2. Clemens

47.6%
  1. jetsfan4ever80

jetsfan4ever80 New Member

I would say yes, it's Chad's job to lose and if he's taking us to the playoffs than he starts IMO. At least we can rest assured that KC can step in to the position when and if CP gets hurt, and of course if he starts slumping.

2. Green Lantern 80

I voted for Kellen as I too was completely shocked at the way he was picking apart one of the best defenses in the league once the O-line blocked. I bet Cotchery and Coles liked the way the ball arrived. Chad has the experience, but Kellen has the arm. It's time to let our future begin now. Let Kellen start.

3. duketogo

duketogo New Member

I don't care if Chad "gives us the best chance to win". All he reminds me of is the days of Herm Edwards and "almost" making it. Its time for a change.

4. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Penny had a good first game... put up good numbers, even with that crappy O-line of ours. Clemens has a great arm, can take a hit, is not easily rattled, and can be accurate. And Clemens brought the team back today, even if McCarebear f'd it up.

Clemens has the stuff to become a great Jet qb, but Penny is a vet and Clemens is still feeling his way. I'd say it's still Penny's to lose.

It's good to see, though, that we have two very capable, very intelligent qb's. Unfortunately, our O-line looks like it's going to get them both killed! :(

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I voted Clemens. I haven't felt confident with Penny behind center in a long time. Seeing a Jet QB with a rocket arm and great vision is something that I haven't seen... ever.

As far as the dropped passes go, I'm sure our receiving corp have become too used to soft throws from Chad that they were a bit shocked by Clemens' arm. Think of it as going from catching a nerf ball to catching a regulation one.

6. SuperBowlPleez!

SuperBowlPleez! New Member

Your absolutly right, It really doesn't matter who we have as qb right now because our oline is so suspect. You put brady behind our line and he's gonna lose too. My focus is that horrid line of ours.

7. Drew

Drew Active Member

Thank you. I like Chad as a person, he's a hell of a guy, a tough SOB, and a leader.. but Clemens just to me... could take us to the next level.

He had an amazing 2 minute drill. The INT was not his fault... at all. McCareins needs to be taken out back and shot. Clemens looks like he can take over and lead no problem. Cotchery was incredible today. Lots of perfect passes with great touch, great accuracy, and great zip.

Once the line held up, KC's play improved much. The first half was terrible.. but the 2nd half... to me.. honestly seemed Brady-esque the way he led us back. I know, I'm not trying to get outta control... just comparing.

Will Clemens start next week? Nope. Mangini won't give up on Pennington that easy or give Clemens the job so easily. But put it this way... our future after Chad is going to be a very.... very bright one.

8. ........

........ Trolls

I can understand that excuse for Coles and Cotchery, but not McCareins. He was paired up with Clemens all preseason and had no trouble catching the ball then. The difference now is that he doesn't have to worry about getting cut.

9. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

who knew we had so many people voting?

10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

hey, look who voted for Chad!

ChadisGoldenBoy, ChadPennington, Chadwick#10, Darth Pennington

:lol:

11. SuperBowlPleez!

SuperBowlPleez! New Member

ha nobody said we couldn't be biased

12. NYJNYRNYM

NYJNYRNYM New Member

i voted for chad for a couple of reasons. first im in that camp that believes that you dont lose your starting spot based on injury. pennington had a decent game last week, f'd up his ankle and came back to lead the team to a TD drive. I say put chad in there next week if healthy. now if he's completely inept against the fins and/or the bills and/or the giants, then we can start talkin about putting clemens in there for good.

i mean, barring a miracle season from chad, i believe clemens is our starting qb next season. and as great as baltimore's D is and as great as clemens was at taking hard shots and getting right back up, something tells me that he would get chewed up and spit out by the likes of the Pats D. maybe not physically since he apparently has some ability to dance around the pocket a bit, but i think he'd be so confused by their D schemes that he would have a horrid day against the pats and then fans might think that it was too soon to put him in the starting spot.

so while i can see why everyone who wants the KC era to start today is drooling at the mouth, i just think we should let chad play until he shows that he cant win the games he's supposed to win. again, it was great though to see a jets qb throw the ball with some stank on it...gives me hope for when the KC era does start!

13. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I really can't understand the mentality of the "he can't lose his job due to injury" crowd. I mean, if you believe that Chad gives the Jets the best chance to win now and in the future, then fine. I don't agree with you but at least it's a reasonable position. The best player should play and I'm not sure how you can argue otherwise.

14. Carl Spacklers Grass

define "future"...2 years? 3 years? Honestly, anyone who thinks Chad is the best qb for NEXT WEEK is a fool, let alone more than one more season. I love Chad but Mangini has to realize that with this pourous defense, this ruthless schedule, and this patchwork O-Line that the Jets couldn't make the playoffs with Peyton Manning at qb.

Mangini should do Chad a favor and not play him again this year...Chad is simply an injury waiting to happen. As a realistic Chad fan, I don't want to see him suffer a career ending injury, which is a realistic concern with this o-line.

The Jets are not a playoff team, get over it fans...let Kellen learn on the job this year and let Chad keep his health so he can sign somewhere as a backup next offseason.

15. Penn Is Mighty

Penn Is Mighty New Member

I was at the game, and those two throws to Coles and McCareins that were dropped were probably throws that Chad couldn't make. However, the big strikes in this game were all YAC by Cotchery. Like 10-15 yards in the air, and then him running down the field. That's what Chad does best.

Still I was really impressed at the end with Clemens, and he is for sure the future, which is closer than we think. I say we give Chad a shot and see if he performs.

I honestly think Coles and McCareins were in shock at how they were able to get the ball that quickly when they got open.

16. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Not really, Chad gets the ball out there so slowly that his WRs are usually hit quickly and can't get much YAC.

17. SomeNoob

SomeNoob Member

I say go with "hanging" Chad until the season is lost. If the jets are 2&4 after 6 games them it should be Kellen (Killin) time.

18. StoneHaens

StoneHaens Member

Let Kellen learn behind Chad this year. You could totally ruin his confidence by playing him behind this "o-line". You don't want to make another David Carr out of him.

19. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I voted Pennington, but to probably see Kellen by the bye week

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Of course we start Chad, KC showed us alot in the 4th qtr but if he wasn't so awful for 3 qtrs we easily win that game. if Chad was playing we'd be 1-1 right now. I love the promise that KC showed and now i have confidece in him if Chad goes down again but right now Chad still gives us the best chance to win.