Let's Settle This: Clemens or Pennington?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10toColes, Sep 16, 2007.

?

If Pennington is healthy, who should start at QB next week?

1. Pennington

52.4%
  2. Clemens

47.6%
  1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Chad should be history. Mangini is no fool.

You can make business / coaching decisions based on sentimental attachment (a la Herm Edwards unwillingness to play Cotchery, LaMont Jordan, his hardon for Justin McSh-t....).

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Clemens for me. outside of the rhetorical "we wouldn't have been down by two TD's had Pennington had been in," argument, had we been down 2 TD's in the 4th quarter with 5 minutes to go with Penny, we aren't in any position to win at the end of the game, because he just doesn't possess the ability to score quickly -- among other things that I think Clemens can do as well during the course of the game. everything Clemens did in the 4th quarter today he can do for 4 quarters, even if he didn't do so today. the only thing Pennington has on him now, if today is indicative of Clemens' ability, is experience. and the only way you get experience is how? to play.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Almost split down the middle even now. Clemens started playing well when the O-line gave him time to throw. Pennington probably would have played well at that point too, but it's hard to imagine him making some of the throws that Clemens did. I was completely shocked at the way Clemens was picking apart one of the best defenses in the league once the line got it together.

Seeing that happen convinced me of something that I had suspected before the season began. We have weapons and there going to waste with Pennington playing QB. Clemens can make the throws, no doubt about it. He also showed that he can pick up a defense if given a little time. Made the Ravens looks like swiss cheese in the fourth. If I'm Mangini I ride that wave until it turns to white wash.

4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

which is precisely why he should start.:wink:

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Looks like Chad is the choice of Pasts fans as well as Chad fans.

6. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Its Clemen time.:up: :up: :up:

7. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Amen!!!!!!!!

8. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I voted Chad, mostly because I don't think he deserves to be kicked to the curb. However, I think KC is the future QB of this team....and I wouldn't be upset to see them say, "the future is now".

DbJ

9. skipper

skipper Member

I've always liked Chad but the reality is that with the lines we have we're not going to go very far this year. KC had one year when he just held the clipboard and watched, which is a good thing to do with a rookie qb. His first year of actually playing will give him the chance to get up to speed and make many of the mistakes that rookies inevitably make (i know he's not a rookie, but he is as far as starting goes).

I don't disagree with the statement that Chad gives us the best chance to win THIS YEAR but does it really matter whether we're 9/7 or 8/8 or something like that? Get KC to really adjust to the NFL speed THIS year, so that he'll be ready for next year.

I really think that Mangini will find that Chad isn't completely healed by next weekend (regardless of the actual medical situation) so that he see how KC does againts a non playoff team.

Start Chad next week = one or two more wins this year
    Start KC next week and on = Half a dozen or more wins over the next couple of years.

10. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I can't believe that it is this even after about 190 votes, unbelievable how split Jets fans are on this.

Me, I want Clemens. I cannot take another season of a washed-up 31 year old QB floating the ball, and not being able to make many plays because of his (lack of) arm strength. We all saw today how much better the offense is when you have a QB who can throw the ball downfield. Not even downfield, but a 15 yard out, while giving the WR a chance to make a move before being drilled by the CB because the ball took so long to get to him.

11. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

Kind of incredible how split this is.

Honestly, I could live with either one, but would prefer Clemens. There isn't a wrong answer here; the problem is more the offensive line, I would say.

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I will root for who ever the HC decides to go with. If however the HC decides to go with Chad I will be looking to change the HC.

13. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Its pretty important that KC wins this – while I have never considered myself an expert on football or football knowledge I would consider myself an expert on other subjects like bar fighting, general automotive knowledge, or computers just to name a few. And reading some posters advice on those subjects – I would have to indicate that 98% of the experts on this board are not only full of shit – but down right stupid.

If I were ever interested in knowing more about the game of football than I currently know; this is the last place I would ever look for any insight. No offense to the two or three posters who actually may know what they are talking about – in fact, I have to believe they would find this funny.

14. skipper

skipper Member

Just to clarify the above posting, I mean that we would have one or two more wins this year if Chad starts than if KC starts and half a dozen more wins over the next couple of years if KC Gets the experience this year. Obviously, I voted to start KC next week.

15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

if the defense does not improve, that would be a far more valid reason for that idea. :wink:

16. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

radio, 1050 ny

17. Uhm a Jets Fan

Uhm a Jets Fan New Member

This is a tough Decision, im excited with the way clemens played and he made it fun to watch in the 4th quarter...but with Pennington and all his injuries and rehab, i just feel like he has something to finish....even though it won't be a big finish

18. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

Originally Posted by -MC-
    Where did you hear this?

I heard him say it on SNY during his post game press conference!!!

19. Bizprof

Bizprof New Member

No offense, but I'm tired of that argument. Ok, so Chad was better than crackhead Quincy Carter and Brooks "Carebear" Bollinger. And?

Edit: Sorry I was referring to the "Chad has won more than anyone else argument". Didn't quote it correctly.

#79 Bizprof, Sep 16, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  20. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I'm with you, although I voted Clemens. My heart says Chad, and I also don't think it's fair to let Chad lose his job due to injury. However, although I'm not throwing the seaosn, we're not SB bound and Clemens can get some valuable playtime here. I'm honestly just as split down the middle as the board is.