The official we have a QB controversy thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by winstonbiggs, Sep 16, 2007.

1. SI_Jets_Fan

SI_Jets_Fan Member

I have been a Jets fan since watching Joe Namath at Shea. IMHO, we have had 4 QB's in that time that were exciting to watch; Namath, O'Brien, Vinny, and now Clemens. For the last 10 minutes of todays game I was out of my seat, pacing around, screaming at the TV. I haven't done that in years.

Look, when I started watching football, there were 2 choices, the NFL (Giants) and the AFL (Jets). The NFL was 2 runs into the line, a short pass, and a punt. Boring! The AFL was bombs away! It was fun to watch.

I want a QB on my team that, if he throws 3 ints in the first half, and you are down by 17 points, you still feel you are not out of it. After watching today's game, Clemens gives me that hope. With Chad, if we are down by 10 in the first quarter and the other team has the ball, game over.

So I say, give Kellen the ball! :beer:

Btw, did you notice at the end of Mangini's post game press conference, he was asked if Chad could have played? He said, if they had to go to the number 2 qb, Chad would have played. :eek:hmy:

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Pennington looked great against the Pats last week. He played a great game hit everything in sight and throw for a buck 80 and the team scored 14 points with Pennington playing at absolutely the best he possibly can. Pennington could not have made 20% of the throws that Clemens made in the 4th quarter of this game against the Ravens secondary which is in a completely different class than the Pats secondary.

3. pennington4life

pennington4life New Member

Ok...... A couple of things i want to say...

Clemens looked good in the 4th and yes if JM caught a pass it wuz tied, but his throw to coles was short and the 3rd down throw to JM was a little high.,

I am a die hard Jets and Pennington fan and iam sick of this controversy. Does anyone realize how mcuh this QB thing has divided us as fans. Do u guys not realize that sucha division among fans can cause a division among the players of a team becasue they definitely hear stuff what alot of fans talk about.

That being said if KC becomes the starter as much it will break my heart...hell ya i would cheer for him just as loud as CP because as a TRUE fan and i stress TRUE we should ahve whoevers back is out there and thats the thing US JETS FANS lack the most.......CAMRADERIE...be a TRUE FAN thats all i ask lets do it right

4. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I love Clemens. Having him on our team (somewhat) mitigates the pain of having passed on Leinart and Cutler. D'Brickashaw is going to be an average player for the rest of his career. Only someone beastly like Ogen or Pace at the LT position is worthy of a top 5 pick IMO....

5. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Chad needed to start hitting the weight room a long time ago.

Clemens just has a physical presence and strength (not just arm strength, which is obvious). Did you notice the play when he got sandwiched and right as he was getting hit he instinctively covered up the ball with both arms to avoid fumbling??

Not only did he avoid getting hurt, but he kept possesion of the football. If that were Chad it would have been lights out.

6. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Wwll the Pats "D" is looking pretty damn good against SD. And how many TD's did we score today (even if you concede the drops to McCariens)? Two. That's exactly how many the Jets scored last week against the Pats. To say that Pennington couldn't have completed 20% of KC's passes is pure hyperbole. KC played well (and I'm glad he did), however, to say that he was lights-out and didn't get a lot of help by Cotchery (just as Chad has in the past) is really going overboard - IMHO.

7. winstonbiggs

I Have been waiting since the mid 1970's to see the Jets have a real top talent at QB. Vinny and Chad showed that kind of talent for 1 season each before they were hurt. Clemens today showed that he has real ability. I'm excited to have a QB lead the team with the ability to put the team on his back and beat a real top NFL D. I really don't care whether people think I'm over board or not. I love my team and I love what a talented and physically gifted player leading the team brings to Sunday's. Clemens may turn into a flash in the pan, but today he took a beating in one of the toughest places in the league and still put the team on his back and put us in position to not only compete as a team but he put us in position to tie or win the game. Not only that he was deeply upset at falling short which shows me he may have a warrior mentality.

By the way take a look at Mannings numbers in last year playoffs against the Pats and the Ravens. The Pats have a great front and a crap secondary the Ravens have both a great front and secondary.

8. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

he can make all the throws-you don't have to limit/dumb down your offense with him. he can come from behind and threaten a defense deep. he doesn't have to dink and duck. he can throw a pass more than 7 yards that doesn't quack.

let's not repeat the herm experience of leaving younger guys , cotch, lamont, etc. on the bench because of a foolish blind policy in favor of vets.:wink:

9. blevins

blevins New Member

Let's look at the stats:
    Pennington against the PATS:
    16 of 21 76.2% 167 yards 8 yards per attempt 2TD 0int 130.5 QB rating
    Clemens against PATS:
    5 of 10 50% 35 yards 3.5 yards per attempt 0TD 0int 58.3 QB rating
    Clemens against RAVENS:
    19 of 37 51.4% 260 yards 7 yards per attempt 1TD 2int 60.6 QB rating
    Carson Palmer week 1 against RAVENS:
    20 of 31 62.5% 181 yards 5.5 yards per attempt 2TD 0int 100.3 QB rating
    Phillip Rivers week 2 half-time stats against PATS:
    6 of 10 60% 63 yards 6.3 yards per attempt 0TD 2int Awful QB rating

Where in these stats does it suggest Clemens should start over Pennington. He does throw harder but not nearly as accurately. The pass to a wide open Coles in the end zone was on the ground, the second pass to JMac was catchable but very high and behind him. The only really dropped pass he had was the one that hit JMac in the hands in stride (a sure TD). For the game he completed barely 50% of his passes and his receivers kept him from having two more ints by stripping the ball loose from the DBs. They also made a couple of circus catches and got yards after the catch. Clemens throws a hard nice looking pass and is developing into a QB we can count on when Pennington is through. But currently Chad is the much better QB in every aspect except velocity.
    It is not the QB Clemens or Pennington) keeping the JETS from winning. It is both lines!

10. winstonbiggs

I thought we had a shot to win this game even with our bad line play. If McCariens catches one of two balls that hit him in the hands or Coles makes a great catch on a ball he got both hands on we are in position to win this game in OT potentially? The guy who made us competitive was the QB, Clemens.

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm thirsty. Fetch me a McPuppet, extra on the dropped it, 0-2 on the rocks. I'm as mad as the next guy, but please stop it. Slave.

12. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

And the fact that the "D" ended up stopping the Ravens in the second half (fourth quarter) - something that they didn't manage to do in the second half vs. the Pats - had nothing to do with that? Look I'm not putting KC down. I hope he's great because I believe that he will be the Jets QB in the future (maybe later this year, maybe next week).

It's just like people are going gaga over this guy for his play in one quarter. Simple fact is that if the Jets "D" didn't start playing better (finally) Clemens wouldn't have had the opportunity to come back.

13. winstonbiggs

People are going gaga over him because they have been watching a wounded QB at the controls for years and don't understand the importance of having a QB with real physical ability.

14. blevins

blevins New Member

I agree Clemens, Cotchery, Coles, and Baker gave us hope. The defense was able to make the Ravens punt too. Had they been able to slow down the PATS in week one and make them punt who knows what Chad or Clemens could of done to rally the team. The facts are Clemens is a nice looking young QB with a strong arm who had a average game but a great 4th quarter - but he is not as accurate or as polished as Pennington. We are fortunate to have 2 QBs that can win games for us if given the opportunity:
    Chad with smart, accurate passing and Clemens with his strong arm. They both are warriors - You have to be to put yourself behind that OL and have any success at all.

15. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

GREAT POST amd this says it all!!!

16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I Love How all the Chad Bashers - who Bash Chad because he cant win the Big one , now love Clemens after One Reg Season game where He LOST.

He was Terrible for Three Quarters , and had a nice 4th ( which if it was Chad , they would say it was Garbage time yards).

He never picked up the Blitz and Alot of the Passing Yardage were of the Same Variety of Yards after the Catch , that the Chad Bashers call Dink and Dunk.

Zip on a Pass is great , but you need touch also , Chad hits Coles on that play at the end not one hops it.

I hope that Kellen is the Future and if this team is out of it by week 8 then start him the rest of the way , but its too early to give up on thsi season and Kellen has not proven that he deserves to Start over a healthy Chad yet.

17. winstonbiggs

Clemens proved in the pre season he deserved to start over Chad.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

My biggest qualm with Steve McQueen is that he McMumbled. Mount that on your wall, McThankyou.

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Who said anything about playing all of our rookies? And who said anything about quitting? What I said was that IMO this team with CP at QB can never be more than a 9-10 win team (and can be considerably less, particularly considering his injury history), and that translates into no playoffs or an early playoff exit. That being the case, I see no reason to waste more games without seeing if Clemens is actually the real goods. I had the Jets pegged for 7-9 wins this year, and I'm not at all convinced that it would be any worse with Clemens in there.

The best teams learn early on that you need to be able to move on to succeed in this league (and this is a lesson that the previous Jets regime had a lot of trouble with). Take a look at these names: Jake Plummer, Byron Leftwich, Mark Brunell, Drew Brees, Jay Fiedler, Brad Johnson, Kerry Collins, Rich Gannon, Trent Dilfer, Jeff Garcia, and Kurt Warner. These are all QBs who in recent years took their team to the playoffs (many in multiple years, winning multiple playoff games in a given year, getting to the Super Bowl, or even winning it) and within a couple of years were no longer on the team. This happens all the time. I'm not even saying that all of these moves worked out as well as the teams hoped, but it is hardly fair to accuse all of them of "giving up" just because they decided to move on.

20. I thought Ferguson was well above average today. He handled Suggs quite nicely and was key in the 4th qtr comeback