The official we have a QB controversy thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by winstonbiggs, Sep 16, 2007.

1. YouBigDummy

YouBigDummy New Member

That's exactly what I did.
    I moved from NY to SC last year and didn't see the game today.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Honestly I expected him to be a Chad clone just not as good. I truly expected a bad version of Chad the game manager. This kid will be up and down but he is clearly highly skilled and against a D that knocked him around he still made excellent decisions with the ball and even when he was hit he didn't turn it over. He didn't always make the right read but he didn't make big mistakes. He also is a play maker something we haven't had at QB since Testeverde.

3. Jetallica

Jetallica New Member

Lets look at this from a realistic standpoint. Chad is a guy who could never ever have done what this kid did in the 4th quater. Chad is indefinitly an accurate and smart quaterback. He is a great warrior. BUT being realistic he will not be our starting quaterback next year. We all know that, including Mangini. So, why should we have Clemens be on the bench for an entire year or most of this season, or even half of this season. Why? The more experience Clemens gets the better he will get. Why go 8-8 with Pennington when you can get Clemens experience and let him develop. We have too many holes to really do anything anyway. So why not let Clemens learn. We will prevail next year.

4. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

that last quarter was fun to watch and showed alot about kellen i think.. not only was he finding recievers and zipping it to them, but he showed pretty damn good pocket presence (talking about late in the game) and bought himself a lot of time against a very aggressive pass rush that knew we were throwing every down.

that said.. if chads completely healthy next week, i think we all know that he will be the starter. it will remain that way based on how he plays and if he is able to stay healthy.

im pissed about the drops and the loss obviously but you got to admit theres plenty of brightside. the 4th quarter probably entirely changed everyones view on the team as a whole .. gave us a glimpse of what clemens can do, showed an improvement on the offensive line, and reminded us just how awesome cotchery is.

and hey.. at least we're out of this tough 2 game stretch that you know was scary from the first time you saw the schedule... excited to play miami.

5. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

That is SO true. As much as I want to hate on McCairens, I think that he just wasn't used to the velocity of the ball. Even Cotchery was surprised how fast the ball got to him on the big play to start the last drive. Clemens showed today that the preseason was not a fluke. He should be our starter from now on.

6. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

As a person who admits that he thinks that Pennington get too much blame here and still acknowledges that Pennington has a less than stellar arm:

1) KC's fourth guarter comeback was excellent. He made some good throws.

2) He got a lot of help from YAC from Cotchery. I love it when some (no all) see that as a positive when KC is in there and a negative with it's Pennington throwing the ball.

3) As far a KC'c overall game: A decent showing. Probably better than expected, but not all workldbeating. He really didn't play all that well until the fourth quarter. Of course, most QB;s don't light it up in their first game against a quality "D".

3) For all of the fanfare (even if you give the Jets a TD because of McCareins) the Jets would have had two TD's in this game. Chad had that last week against the Pats - who I would classify as a similar type of "D".

4) KC throws a harder ball than Pennington. However, there was not one type of ball or route thrown that I haven't seen Pennington throw. The first pass to McCariens is a pass that I've seen Pennington make before (perhaps with a little more air underneath it).

5) Many "Chad fans" as I am, are glad that KC showed promise. I wouldn't have wanted the Jets to spend a 2nd round pick on a bad player.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I liked what I saw out of Clemens. About what you could expect for his first start. He has a good arm, that was plain to see. Man, three drops in or right before the endzone. Maybe Chad gets his job back for now, but like the announcers said, Kellen is right there and getting closer.

8. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Might be great after 1 quarter, are u serious? Slow down, KC has not proved a damn thing yet in his early career. Bottom line he sucked for 3 quarters and we lost, defend it as you will, a loss is a loss. But he does look to have a good upside, we will just have to wait and see what happens in the months to come.

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

And look on the brightside, this should light quite a fire under both QB's, however starts next week.

10. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Kellen in his press conference very maturely blamed himself for the last pass, not McCareins... I didn't expect any differently, but it was nice to hear

11. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

It would have been nice to let him play ball start of the third quarter instead of letting Jones run up the middle for a gain of -2 every time.

Also – it’s a big adjustment for receivers used to having approximately 39 seconds before they turn their heads for one of Chad’s lobs; I think the first 10 passes he threw hit a receiver in the back of the head.

12. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

If Clemens doesn't get the start next week you've got to seriously question what the Jets think they're doing and what their priorities are this season. It's hard to tell on TV where you can't see if guys are open or not but Clemens seemed very hestitant to deliver the ball early in the game even when he had a little bit of time back there.

In the 4th quarter he was alot quicker with his reads and delivering the ball with confidence, you've got to give him the shot and see if he can keep that going against the Dolphins next week.

13. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

The problem I have with ideas like this is that it is all about giving up. And we are only two games into the season. It is easy to see we are a longer shot than even some of us thought, but nevertheless you don't go into two games and afterward say, screw it, we weren't going to win anyway. Let's just play all our rookies then? You don't quit, and you certainly should not quit this early.

I'm glad KC got some experience and he may well have more opportunities for that, but you don't just say let's focus on developing our QB and sacrifice a season of at least trying to win. Maybe if we were in the same boat as the Raiders... yeah, ok play your hopeful future QB. But we still have a chance at making the playoffs. It isn't absolute that we won't make it. Probable perhaps, but you don't quit until its over.

14. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

Are you guys blind? Lets look at this Clemens behind a below average line, against a team that has the BEST DEFENSE in the league, in their stadium where they hardly ever lose, and Clemens tied the game THREE TIMES, HOW CAN YOU NOT BE EXCITED?

15. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Just like to point something out – and I recognize that everyone on TGG knows everything about football but…a bunch of the missed passes / drops I saw today were smacked right off of receivers hands. This goes back to the receivers needing to get used to a quarterback that throws the ball where it is supposed to; KC was putting it in their hands; a good receiver should catch with his hands. Chad lobs it into the bread basket; that’s exactly how I throw a ball to my 7 year old daughter when I want her to catch it.

When is the last time you saw a Jets QB throwing 20 yard slants?

16. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

No offense, but have we not seen McCareins drop passes before? I would say the truth is the he doesn't have a particularly good set of hands, whether it's KC or Chad throwing the ball.

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Bottom line when we played two teams with defenses that are not close to the Ravens Chad looked like crap and the Jets were outright shut out.

I'm not defending Clemens, I saw a young QB with great tools get knocked around, beatin up and rally this team on his back to what should have been a tie game with the clock ticking down. The Jets are not going to challenge for a title with this team and they will never challenge for a title with the pop gun O that 3 OC have run with Chad at the helm.

18. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Winston, you know I love you but are you claiming that Pennington looked light crap against the Pats just last week? Again, what long passes (30+) yards in the air were there today? I don't remember one. And I do concede that KC has a stronger arm.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's just the thing, in this age of pass-happy football people think arm strength and think 30+ bombs. Don't get me wrong, I like to see long passes keeping a defense honest, but the intermediate game is where football teams truly build a successful drive from. And arm strength is still a factor in the intermediate game.

20. Bizprof

Bizprof New Member

Anyone else catch that stat about how rookie qb's fare against Baltimore's D? I think he did a helluva job. If Mcbitchy could catch a damn ball we mighta won.