Pats Punishment is in!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan2004, Sep 13, 2007.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Watch out Warrior, next he'll be asking for a link...

2. ProScout

ProScout New Member

Radiogate?

What happened to the part about radio jamming and intercepts also attributed to the Pats? Why was that not carried forward ? I was under the impression that this had happened before as well......

3. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

NFL Fines Pats Coach, Team Loses Pick
    By DAVE GOLDBERG, AP Football Writer
    Thu Sep 13, 10:55 PM

NEW YORK - Bill Belichick should be able to read this signal clearly: Spy on your opponents, and it will cost you. The New England coach was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 Thursday and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for stealing an opponent's defensive signals.

Commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up next year's first-round draft choice if it reaches the playoffs and second- and third-round picks if it doesn't.

The videotaping came to light after a camera was confiscated from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella while he was on the New York Jets' sideline during New England's 38-14 win last Sunday at Giants Stadium.

The NFL said the camera was seized before the end of the first quarter and had no impact on the game.

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.

He said he considered suspending Belichick but didn't "largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension."

Instead, Goodell imposed the biggest fine ever on a coach and took away a first-round draft pick as a penalty for the first time in NFL history.

Reached at his home, Patriots owner Robert Kraft declined to comment.

Belichick, however, accepted full responsibility "for the actions that led to tonight's ruling. Once again, I apologize to the Kraft family and every person directly or indirectly associated with the New England Patriots for the embarrassment, distraction and penalty my mistake caused."

"I also apologize to Patriots fans and would like to thank them for their support during the past few days and throughout my career," Belichick said in a statement issued by the team. "As the Commissioner acknowledged, our use of sideline video had no impact on the outcome of last week's game. We have never used sideline video to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress."

Goodell's hard line on discipline has been aimed so far at players _ most notably Michael Vick and Adam "Pacman" Jones.

By penalizing a coach and a team he showed that no one, not even management, was immune.

"We support the commissioner and his findings," the New York Jets said.

New England, strengthened by the addition of Randy Moss, two other first-rate wide receivers and linebacker Adalius Thomas, is considered one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl for the fourth time since the 2001 season. If the Patriots lose their first-rounder next season they still will have a first-round pick, obtained from San Francisco in the deal that brought Moss from Oakland.

NFL rules state "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." They also say all video for coaching purposes must be shot from locations "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

That was re-emphasized in a memo sent Sept. 6 to NFL head coaches and general managers. In it, Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations wrote: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

The NFL statement said Goodell believed Kraft was unaware of Belichick's actions.

But it said the commissioner believed penalties should be imposed on the club because "Coach Belichick not only serves as the head coach but also has substantial control over all aspects of New England's football operations. His actions and decisions are properly attributed to the club."

On Wednesday, Belichick issued a one-paragraph statement 10 minutes before his regular availability, saying he had spoken with Goodell "about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game and my interpretation of the rules."

"Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players," he said.

The Patriots have been caught once before. Last November, during their 35-0 victory in Green Bay, the Packers caught Estrella shooting unauthorized video and told him to stop.

NFL coaches long have suspected opponents of spying. In the early 1970s, the late George Allen, coach of the Washington Redskins, routinely would send a security man into the woods surrounding the team's practice facility because he suspected there were spies from other teams there.

And coaches like Seattle's Mike Holmgren and Philadelphia's Andy Reid, among others, always cover their mouths when calling plays from the sideline because they fear other teams have lip readers trying to determine their calls.

The most recent hefty fine against a coach was in 2005, when Tagliabue fined former Minnesota coach Mike Tice $100,000 for scalping Super Bowl tickets.

Last November, Goodell fined Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher, co-chairman of the competition committee, $12,500 for criticizing officials. He also fined Pittsburgh owner Dan Rooney, one of his mentors and the man who informed him he had been elected commissioner, for the same violation.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

4. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

I tried to get these quotes in bold to make them stand out. No luck so I'm posting them separate.

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.

He said he considered suspending Belichick but didn't "largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension."

Instead, Goodell imposed the biggest fine ever on a coach and took away a first-round draft pick as a penalty for the first time in NFL history.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

This is a terrible rulling for a couple of reasons. Players are outright suspended for cheating the penalty is no different on whether it had a good or bad impact on the teams performance. Why reduce the penalty based on the results of the cheating? Second the Commissioner has failed to suspend management for cheating when players are suspended all the time. This double standard for management is a very poor precedent.

He also was a fool to suggest that cheating didn't effect outcome. If that's the case why penalize them at all or have the rule at all? Why would a league prevent a coach from doing what is necessary to prepare his team to play unless it impacted the fairness or integrity of games.

#185 winstonbiggs, Sep 14, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I heard it was
    $250k-Team
    $500k-Bellybitch
    + a 1st
    & a 2nd & 3rd if they make the Playoffs....
    Is this right?

7. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

^^ totally agree. They suspended a qb coach for 5 games for taking HGH to fight diabetes which has no affect on the team other than it is a league banned substance. Yet no suspension for a head coach for violating rules meant to uphold fairness.

Then the coach has the nerve to apologize to only his team about a misinterpretation of league rules. How about the entire league? How about tarnishing the image of the league?

8. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

a 1st if they make the playoffs.

2 & 3 if they miss.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Actually, you mixed the picks up. 1st if they make the playoffs, 2nd and 3rd if they miss.

I have a feeling Belichick slept quite well last night...

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Tx guys...:up:

Just heard about it on the News and they reported it that way...damn ch. 7.... :smile:

11. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I don't know. He should have been suspended,but he's now labeled as even more of a scumbag than he already was. Any one who watches football outside of Boston is now putting a big mental question mark next to all they have done. The stuff they are going to hear behind every bench this year is going be harsh. Anything they happen to win this year is already tainted. The whole Belichick/Brady era is tainted. This isn't going away and that to me is the punishment. Anything the league handed down wasn't going to do squat anyway.

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Slept? He was probably holding the videocamera while Gooddell was scarfing down Krafts 2 inch string cheese.....

13. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

You would hope their opponents would change their signals or at the very least, how they relay them in. Indeed it will be interesting to see how they play the rest of the way without their hidden advantage.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

&*(*%)*&%^)

is anyone with me on this - the pats got off quite easy here......

does the commish even know they have 2 1st rounders next year...and BTW which one will it be???

i posted a couple days ago that they would get a first rounder taken away but after reading and hearing several other sources and possible past violations, it makes you wonder and want a more severe penalty.

500K is a drop in the bucket for BB, and 250K is a needle in the pats haystack.

fuk em

jil

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

ha ha - thats makes me feel a bit better this morning, though i think the inches need to be changed to centimeters.

jil

16. boomer

boomer Active Member

The Sheriff has spoken. I'm going to start calling him Wyatt Goodell.

17. Hobbes3259

LOL.

I want some reporter to ask Wade Wilson what he thinks of the Punishment levied.

In reference to your question, its the Pats pick, not the SF pick.

Plus, that just frees up cap space to sign a second tier free agent, so in effect, you are keeping them from gambling on an unknown quantity.

18. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

The Pats lose their pick. they keep the one they got from SF.

19. Hobbes3259

Yes indeed. The historical accounts are replete with instances of Wyatt Earp rolling over for Curly Bill Brocious, Johnny Ringo, Ike and Billy Clanton et al...

20. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

You guys should stop comparing what BB did to the HGH thing. Distributing HGH is not just against league rules, it is a criminal offense.
    The two are not really comparable.