Moore re-signed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Sep 12, 2007.

1. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

You keep saying everyone was high on Moore when McKenzie was here, I wasn't and I know many more weren't.

You want to give Moore's bad play, which includes penalties and crappy run blocking, a pass because he has Clement next to him, even though he is a vet and should be at the very least not so penalty prone. But you blast Brick, with juvenile comments like "Turd Ferguson" even though he has played a whopping 1 season and 1 game, trying to learn the hardest position on the line, if not the whole offense next to QB. Even though there is a black hole next to him at LG. Can we say hypocrit? You expected Brick and Mangold to cover for the horrid play at the other 3 positions for the past 2 years?

Like I said Moore is decent backup, but he shouldn't be starting. Not if you want a decent run game. If we want a championship level Oline and run game next year, Moore and Clement can't be the starters, that is the only big picture I am looking at.

2. TheFactor

TheFactor New Member

this was the first reply to the original post and couldn't of said it better myself. Moore is adequate but he is soo not physical enough to be a starter in this league

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Brandon Moore Gets Contract Extension

I read this an immediatley thought , Thats where PKs $$$$ went :wink:

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Moore does not suck. Although I too am not happy with the signing, you are forcing me to have to defend one of my least liked players on the roster. Penalty proned and average pass blocker yes but suck no. ESPN's Scouts Inc has him rated as a top 15 guard in the league. He is definately one of if not the best run blocker we have.

5. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

More contract specifics. Seems like a small bump for two more years to see if the guy is the solution.

One of the items we missed in Wednesday's frenzy regarding the Patriots' cheating scandal (we received more e-mails than ever before with opinions and arguments about the issue), was that the New York Jets have extended the contract of right guard Brandon Moore.

Per Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News, Moore signed a six-year, $17.3 million deal. But because the contract includes a $5 million roster bonus in 2009, it's essentially a two-year deal with a club option for the balance.

The contract also pays out $1.4 million in new money over the next two seasons.

Per NFLPA records, the base salaries are $1.8 million in 2007, $1 million in 2008, $620,000 in 2009, $760,000 in 2010, and either $1.75 million in 2012. Other roster bonuses, signing bonuses, option bonuses, and/or workout bonuses are presently unknown.

So, in essence, Moore got a $700,000 annual raise for 2007 and 2008, and if he performs well over the next two years the team will pay him the $5 million roster bonus. If he doesn't, the team will likely squeeze him -- just as it did a year ago with former left guard Pete Kendall -- to take less money.

The due date of the $5 million roster bonus is presently unknown. Moore's agent ideally would have asked for the roster bonus to be earned on the first day of the league year, since it would allow Moore to hit the open market when the money is flowing if the Jets decide not to pay him. It also prevents the Jets from scouring the market for cheaper options to Moore before having to decide whether to cough up the $5 million.

The most surprising thing about the decision to extend Moore is that he had four more years remaining under his prior deal. The fact that Kendall had three years left on his contract was the primary argument advanced by the Jets in support of the team's refusal to re-work it.

Kendall apparently has moved on (and moved out) despite the inconsistency. "At this point in time, Pete is with the Redskins and he wishes the Jets the best," Kendall's agent, Neil Schwartz, told Cimini. "It's unfortunate it didn't work out. Pete is happy for Brandon."

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The deal just makes no sense. If the Jets were going to redo a deal to keep a lineman happy for a year or two guess who they should have redone?

7. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Moore is a lot younger and they see potential in him, I guess. Kendall is in the twilight of his career.

What I think is most telling about this is that the Kendall situation was more than just about money or age. It is plausible that he was becoming Mawae 2 in terms of his (negative) influence in the locker room...even before his griping about his contract.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets went 10-6 in 2006 with Kendall at left guard. Going into 2007 with a hole there made sense how?

I'm still giving Mangini credit for not being an idiot about how the locker-room and coherency plays out at a competitive level in the NFL.

9. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Right now you only have Mangold playing at a acceptable level. THe other 3
    (including D'Brick are barely adequate. As another poster posted you can have suscess with one weak player not 3 on your OL. Moore while servicable isn't the long term soloution and why he gets extended and Kendall gets the door shows you how vindictive the front office is when players question them!

10. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Kendall should have requested the raise and then shut up. Him blabbing to the press every day and openly criticizing the entire organization didn't help his chances of staying. Moore asked for a raise, they told him to wait until after they dealt with Kendall, and you never heard it again until now when they give him his raise. Kendall killed his chances by opening up his mouth every day.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Moore & McKenzie helped Martin win the rushing title. A good RT covers the play of an average RG alot more than the other way around.

I heard no complaints when Moore got his initial long extension.

Ferguson played great the first half of last year, then he lost 20-30 pounds and hit the rookie wall. He came back into camp still looking like a TE, with less mass than he had as a rookie, rather than more. For where he was drafted, that puts him at turd status in my eyes.

You should be able to plug a journeyman LG next to Ferguson based on his draft status and paycheck. Great lines are built around tackles and centers.

We had championship calibre OL when Moore was playing between Mawae and McKenzie, so you kind of kill your own last argument there.