The Patriots sign-stealing / radio scandal - Official Thread (Merged 21x (ugh))

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenMachine, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? Cheating is cheating no matter who the cheaters were. We'll see what comes of this radio frequency deal but if CheaterBill was intercepting radio communications he should be banned for life.

If Kraft had any integrity whatsoever he would fire him on the spot.

2. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Very true and Ill bet if he rasied any concerns you would have seen this running across the scrawl on espn NFL: Patriot fire defensive cordinator Eric Mangini today:"

3. GreenMachine

The big difference is, the Pats were warned. And then the entire league was warned.

The "everyone else is doing it" defense is lame.

Belifraud got caught wire tapping too...Let's just glaze over that detail.

4. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I really think it has to depend on what evidence they have. If they can "prove" that they were taping against the rules and had radio issues against the rules then I can see the penalty being very harsh. If it's just the taping then the penalty will be less (a first and second day draft choice).

In my mind screwing with the communications (intercepting signals / jamming)is a much bigger issue and if the NFL has "proof" and Goddell wants to make an example then the fines, draft choices, and suspensions will be big. Such a blatant issue would go right to the heart of competitive balance and the NFL is all about creating an environment were the balance is key.

However, I think that we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. Nobody on this forum knows the exact extent of what the NFL knows currently and will find out in the future. IMHO I think a final decision by Friday would really be unlikely. How can Goddell make a final decision before all of the facts are in and how can he get all of the facts within a 48 hours period?

5. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I've been asking myself throughout this...what kind of role did Kraft play in this. Did he know about it? If he did, why did he let it happen. There needs to be a lot of questioning for him as well. I hope the NFL is taking this as seriously as the other 31 NFL fan bases want them to.

6. GreenMachine

I have a feeling it was a live feed considering the number of transmitting devices they confiscated.

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Okay, this makes sense to me now regarding the "unidentifiable radio frequencies." The picture is becoming clearer.

With an extra "number of radio frequencies," it's possible that what we have now is what I was surmising yesterday... that someone on the Patriots intercepted Jets transmissions and was transmitting stuff to their staff on an additional sideband. By using a couple of different frequencies, they could escape detection by the NFL should they happen to listen in on their regular frequency.

I really think a hearing is in order. Goodell needs to uncover the entire scope of this and not settle for a quick, Belichick/Kraft-type dismisal, which would be about as blatant and arrogant a disregard of NFL policy as has ever occurred.

Both of these guys need to sit in front of a panel of NFL owners and anwer a lot of questions. You can't and shouldn't allow this to be covered up. This is too important to all the other teams that may have been violated and to everyone who enjoys seeing an NFL game played fairly and squarely.

8. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

I think you're right... that part has been hush hush which leads me to believe it's the more serious of the charges

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's very unfair of you to say that about Mangini. I don't know what type of proffesion you are in but in almost all walks of life there are illegal things going on to make money. If your boss is doing something illegal and if you rat him out you are all of a sudden out of a job knowing full well your boss is still going to have his. You have a wife and kids to feed and I know what I'm doing. Don't take this personal but if you were in Mangini's situation you'd do the same thing. It's nothing personal but it's human nature. Especially you have a family at home that is depending on you for food and shelter. Just because he didn't blow the whistle on this doesn't mean he condoned it.

10. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

What a joke - "interpretation of the rules". The NFL sent out a letter last year telling teams they couldn't do exactly what Belly had his underling do. There is nothing to "interpret." I can't wait for the Commish to bring down the hammer.

TBTF

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

One thing that has only been touched on briefly... it is absolutely clear the Patriots are going to get punished... but do the Jets deserve compensation?

I would say we deserve compensation of some kind, but not compensation that would adversely affect other NFL teams. I definitely don't think we deserve to be awarded any of the Patriots picks.

I'm thinking the best way to reimburse the Jets and their fans is to credit the Jets with a win. It won't give the fans back the money they spent on the game, and it doesn't change what happened during the game, but at least the Jets will be duly compensated for a serious breach of NFL policy and ethics.

12. 1028

1028 Active Member

When exactly can we expect to hear the commissioner's ruling on this, have they given any tenative dates or anything like that yet?

First post in the Jets forum in over a year, yay!

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I agree, but you know there is no way he would ever apoligize to the Jets for cheating against them.

Kraft's statement is a load of crap too. Something about how "since we are successful, people try to do stuff to you". Whatever Kraft, like the Jets prompted your team to cheat. What an idiot.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You're wrong, and I notice your tone is changing from the condescension from earlier.

The fact is, it wasn't Arizona that did it. It was 3-time Super Bowl winning Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. They've beaten teams that were better than them at the time(like the Colts the past few years, amazingly enough, when they made sure there were no cameras, after suspicion, bang, Manning cuts them up.)

The Pats Nation is in for a very rude awakening. So far this offseason, our new commish has told guys to take a year's vacation, or hinted that some may never play again, for actions violating the code of conduct off the field.

Mr. Belichick's actions have been to the detrement of teams on the field and one can surely speculate at this point that the Pats have dominated the way they have for years for just this reason.

As I said earlier, once you're caught in the wrong, you lose all benefit of the doubt. Belichick just better hope more of his former buddies don't crawl out of the woodwork to rat him out.

Your team is in trouble. Big trouble.

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

This I agree with. It doesn't matter which team would be caught doing it. The Pats should not be reprimanded more or less sternly because they are the Pats. And it shouldn't matter if other teams are doing it or not. If it's against the rules and Goddell want it stopped the penalty should be sufficiently high to scare other potential teams from doing it as well.

16. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

I would think it would have to be before the next game...

17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

congrats Pats Nation. Your team just became the scum of the NFL. Randy Moss and his illiteracy will fit well. Regardless of the punishment(which i hope is severe),your organization is now tainted as is everything the team has done in recent years. Everyone already knew that Belichick was a scumbag,but this just iced the cake. I hope that things get so bad that they have to rent out the foxboro high school stadium again.

18. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

espn poll on what the punishment should be: - over 42% think the game should be forfeited,the runner up being forfeit and loss of picks. I myself want that and also a suspension if not harsher on Belichick.

19. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

How could they gather all the evidence on what the activities were and how anything was used in such a short time?

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Well considering Jeff Fisher (who has had run ins with chicken in the past) and Bill Polian (who also has accused chicken of dodgy tactics in the past) are on the competition comitee. This is not an unlikelu scenario.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.