The Patriots sign-stealing / radio scandal - Official Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MayoGate, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Glad to fianlly see them get busted for something.

It's against league rules to doctor injury reports, but Brady spent almost 3 straight seasons as "Probable". He was never injured enough to make such a statement.

Bending the rules is Belli's thing. I never had any clue as to why he got away with it.

2. Turnbub

Turnbub New Member

I think it was miami last year that studied game tapes of NE and was able to steal calls during the live game.

Anyhow, bottom line is, DON'T let another team steal your calls. It's a part of the game and as technology improves you gotta be ahead of the curve and make sure no one can cheat on you.

The other bottom line: Guess the patsies were worried enough about winning that they resorted to stealing signals. Belicheck proves again, he's got no class

3. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

What's really interesting is that besides the Jets, the other teams that have come forward have been the Packers and the Lions. What's even odder is that the Patriots only play them once every 4 years. Now why would the Patriots tape an opponent that they play once every four years? The only things I can think of are these:

1. They are somehow turning it into a competitive advantage DURING THE GAME. Not for later advantage like so many are saying, but somehow breaking down the tape at half time and marrying it with something else. On NFL Live they suggested it may be the polaroids that each team gets of every snap.

2. They have some video sharing agreement with another team in the Lions/Packers division, which would be the Bears or the Vikings.

I highly doubt #2. I'm more and more convinced it's #1.

Now what advantage could they get? They must be translating the signals to useful information. I'm guessing they use the first series to figure it out.

It would be very useful to find out exactly when they confiscated the tape.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Good observation.

5. JETSFANDC

JETSFANDC New Member

Beli should be ashamed

We did not lose because the Pats stole signals -- we got beat on the field.

Still, this is disgraceful and Beli should be ashamed. The Patriots may go down as the most successful team of this decade, but they did not succeed with any class, integrity, or respect for the game. Running up scores, challenging calls at the end of a game already won, keeping your first string players moving full speed (and risking injury) -- all out of spite for a rival organization -- these are not examples of class, integrity or respect. See B. Walsh and J. Montana in the 80's for one example of a great personnel that won year in and year out (for a while).

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm particularly proud of the way Mangini is distancing himself from this, as well he should. This should not be a distraction nor should he allow it to become fuel for the Hatfield and McCoy-like Jets/Patriots feud.

"With anything along those lines, those are all league-related matters, and anything that deals with an issue like this or anything on a team-by-team basis, those all go to the league." Mangini is quoted as saying. In other words, he turned it all over tothe league and isn't allowing this to become personal. Let the league do it's thing and determine what should be done.

But I have to say (and this is strictly my own personal opinion), if I were Goodall, I'd be very interested in getting to the truth about this for the sake of the league. This would include having Billy Boy himself fess up in person and come clean with ALL the details to me. Nothing short of this would satisfy me and were I him, I wouldn't sit still for Belichick's non-answers and evasive psycho-babble. Such avoidance of a forthright, open, honest and truthful admittance of all related facts would only tend to infuriate me and would lead me to warn Mr. Belichick that if he persists in being evasive with his answers, the stiffer the penalty will become. This should include any and all admissions of guilt, both to the videotaping and also to any knowledge he has of radio frequencies being used to garner knowledge as well.

You gotta love it.

7. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

If we were stealing signals you'd prolly be the first to defend the move. and seriously go watch basket weaving. If those things bother you, i cant imagine you surviving the rest of the year.

8. Section 227. Row 5

If I were Goodall, I'd take it a step further even. Assuming there is damning evidence on the tapes, I'd use that evidence as the standard for all lines of questioning to Belichick and his staff, which should also include separate and perhaps simultaneos interviews with Belichick and the Patriots cameraman caught in the act.

Once you have an admission of guilt in this one incident, that wouldn't be the end of it for me. I'd now want to know about past allegations, particularly any activity having taken place during past Superbowls. After all, the public (and certainly all interested NFL fans everywhere) are going to want to know if there was any tampering along these lines that might have effected the outcome of those championship games.

In other words, if Belichick is found guilty of this thing on Sunday, it opens up a whole other Pandora's box. "Tis a thing of beauty, it is.

9. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

how exactly did what he say upset you so much? he stated what he thought of BB and the pats, and i cant disagree. BB is a classless buffoon whos surly nature and ignorant demeanor makes me cringe. he has a solid knowledge of Xs and Os....but he doesnt quite make the grade as a human being.

10. BradyLegacy

BradyLegacy Banned

NE did was wrong but please ppl give belichick lil more credit. Belichick is pretty smart guy, if he wanted to he couldve had a guy on the stands RIGHT behind jets sideline and record the hand signals or anywhere in the stands and zoom in on them and would be perfectly LEGAL.. The rule has so much gray area its not even funny. Belichick didnt get caught, he didnt care and perhaps to make an issue out of it CUZ ITS LEAGUE WIDE PRACTICE . Do you honestly believe that coaches started to hide their mouth behind a playbook when calling plays started when Belichick became HC for NE? cmon now... I know your not that naive . He didnt even try to hide it.

NE should get fined cuz its against the rule but please dont be ignorant to whats really going on and react like its shocking thing just happened cuz its been going on for very long time.

11. Section 227. Row 5

The author of this article surprises me because he misses the point of his own article. Very often, as with life in general, it's never about "Well, everyone else is doing it," it's about who gets caught doing it.

If you want to do 95 MPH on the Garden State Parkway just because 4 other cars are doing it too, you should still be smart enough to figure out that if you're caught, you're going to get a speeding ticket, regardless if the trooper pulls over the other cars or not. It's about getting caught, not about how many others are doing whatever.

But it sounds like the Patriots have a pattern going on here, which is rich beyond words. So in this case, even the argument, "Well, everyone else is doing it," however weak, rings particularly indefensible in lieu of the fact that past allegations might indicate past infractions.

12. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

I think almost everyone on this site would be happy to give bellicheck credit, he's obviously a great coach. However, I think that is what is alarming to many people in the league.

Sure, sign stealing probably happens. But it's one thing if your doing it informally, and it's another when your payrolling a guy to record the other guys coaches. To be honest with you, it just seems grimey to me. Not to take anything away from the patriots performance on the field on sunday... your players obviously outplayed and outclassed ours by a mile. But wheres the class from uptop? Bellicheck has been marketably cold to the Jets organization over the years, from leaving his coaching job to a division rival after one day, to this... i wouldn't be holding your breath for compliments from this region of the world....

and c'mon.. your telling me that bellicheck was trying to get caught??? please.

13. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Hahahaha, I hope they lose picks and tons of stuff.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yeah it was the Giants.

15. Section 227. Row 5

Another one.

You miss the point, friend. If this is glaringly and publicly exposed (and I can't see that not happening if it turns out to have been what we suspect it is, because the media will have an absolute field day with it), Goodell will have no choice but to punish the offending team severely. Doing anything less is NOT good for the NFL and its image, particularly since there are now some questions relating to this kind of activity having taken place in perhaps the most popular sporting event of the year, the Superbowl.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...

16. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

I hope he gets the same treatment that William Wallace got at the end of Braveheart. I can see Belly tied down on the block right now with Goodell wispering to him "this can all end now if you just submit...." OK, maybe that's a little extreme

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Also at the expense of my team, the Dodgers. I wasn't born until 16 years later, otherwise I'd have been pretty pissed off about it.

18. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

And since he came down hard on both Vick & Pac Man Jones, I want him to come down hard on the Pats. Taking away only draft picks from Beleichick is just brushing off the dirt on his shoulders after he falls down.

I want that first win moved from the Pats to the Jets record & Bellichick suspended and draft picks taken away from them. Regardless of how the Jets played this past sunday. If the Pats are suppose to be this good, they don't need to lower themselves to this level. Now I'm questioning their pre-season talk about how good they are suppose to be.

The Commishioner of the NFL has to tell Bellchick that these slaps on the wrist are not going to happen anymore. The integrity of the sport and of the league won't be tolorated. These rules are put in specifically during the game not to happen. Drug use, Public Relations, or in-game cheating using camera or radio signal intercept/blocking devices you deserve a heavy fine, suspension, or loss of a victory in that particular game.

19. kraven

kraven New Member

Guys -- that is a cameraman for Jets 24/7. He is not working for the pats. Nice try though.

20. GreenMachine

I guess this is all just a farce then...The NFL made this all up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.