The Patriots sign-stealing / radio scandal - Official Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MayoGate, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

One wonders as to what the "worst case" scenario would be in terms of discipline?

Forfeit one pick, multiple picks? Bellicheck gone for one week, a month? Cap hit?

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you lost the argument right there in bold. Brady's personal affairs do not refelct one ounce on the team, and the fact that you depend on that to make your point weakenes whatever point you are trying to make.

The Pats didn't need to cheat to beat the Jets this week. of course, if these allegations are true, they probably didn't realize how easy a win it was going to be and probably feel ridiculous for even thinking they needed this slight advantage over an obviously inferior team.

3. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

my cynical guess is the NFL will drag it's feet on this one as long as they can....lord knows the league doesn't need yet another black eye after the Vick fiasco.can you imagine, the Darling Patriots being found guilty of this....more image repair would be in order

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

This isn't like Vick.

This is comparable to the Donaghee/NBA scandal.And now Its very public.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Ever occur to you that one way to get open 14 seconds after the ball is snapped is if you have the blitz covered?

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Nope, Because Goodell Castro has been swift. Also I posted before, he has already stated that he will act swiftly and firmly.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I don't know. Sometimes the better team just wins. Much as I'd like to see the Pats shafted over this, I'm having a hard time believing they'd NEED to do this, and would risk if they did.

8. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

point being it's more negative stuff that the league probably hopes will go away...

mark my words as public as it is....as each week goes by, everyone outside of Jet fans will probably forget about it

i'll be real interested to see if the pregame shows next week even mention it.

9. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

You are probably correct in this. The Vick thing offended people who care nothing about football, and so it was HUGE. This, if nothing comes down on the Patriots, will be shortlived. I wouldn't be surprised if you start hearing stories similar to this about all kinds of teams.

In fact, if this wasn't the Pats, I don't think it even IS a story.

The Dophins blatantly admitted they stole our play calling before a 21-0 beatdown of the Patriots. Ever hear about it? No...it's no big deal.

10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I heard about the controversy. didn't hear they admitted it, though.

11. GreenMachine

Stealing signals is not against the rules when you are just looking. Videotaping and wire tapping is a different story.

12. rillo

rillo New Member

They accused the dolphins of using audio from prior games....the pats were spying/recording as the game went on...big difference in my book

13. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

My point is the Dolphins used 3rd party sources to get the Pats signals prior to the game. The coordinators are caught on film all the time with so many cameras and angles on the field.

The Pats don't have to stick a guy over there on the Jets sideline to steal their signals...it just doesn't make sense.

If I were going to try that, I'd just plant a "fan" anywhere on that side of the field with a digital camera and a zoom lense. Easily done.

I sure wouldn't put a guy on the opponenets sideline, with a video camera and Patriots credentials. That's just stupid.

You can hate the Pats and Bill belichick all you want.....but stupid they are not.

#293 Baron Samedi, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Nope not stupid, just arrogant cheaters..

15. GreenMachine

Billy boy would never get caught cheating. Just ask his wife...:rofl:

16. Beamen

Beamen New Member

No matter how little sense it makes there are two irrefutable facts....

#1) There WAS a guy on the Jets sideline, taping their coaches with Pats credentials.... Just because it doesn't seem smart, doesn't change the fact that HE WAS CAUGHT

#2) Any footage he got, regardless of whether or not it was attainable by other means, can and would work in the Patriots advantage, either in this game or the next...

You can't argue against that

17. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

I find it ironic how all these Pats fans say this didn't affect the outcome (provided the facts come out that way) because they had superior talent and would have won anyway.

When the Patriots won their first Super Bowl with, by their fans own admission less than superior talent to the Rams, the reason cited by all was the brillant schemes and gameplanning.

When they beat the Colts time after time with retreads in the defensive backfield or converted WRs, it was brillant schemes and gameplanning.

When they win 19 games in a row, beating opponent after opponent, with spare parts and low rd draft picks "playing a role", it was brillant schemes and gameplanning.

But know, when they allegedly get caught with their hands in the cookie jar, "schemes" and "gameplanning" mean nothing. The aren't the difference and we are supposed to look away because they have "superior" talent now and won the off-season "Free Agency Bowl."

Well guess what?

I don't buy what they are selling.
    I hope Goodell nails them to the wall...provided the facts prove them guilty.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

very well said. It's just like how all of the sudden weather is "the great equalizer" after winning all those playoff games in bad weather.

19. Sean_in_titletown

First of all, Jets fans clearly demonstrated that their bottom of the barrell fans by cheering as their most loyal and gutsy player limped off the field. Ironically they cheered their best player going out and a tomato can coming in. America has seen the class of the Jets fan and you're lumped right in there amoung the masses. Last year the Dolphins were caught filming the Patriots sideline and you didn't hear this kind of whining did you?

20. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Of course, the Patriots might claim that all the footage they get was obtained through TV cameras. However, after reviewing the film forwarded to league offices, the only way this could be true is the "magic video image theory", requiring us to believe that the video image shot off of Bryan Cox, made a left turn in mid air, hitting off the signal calling hands of Bob Sutton, bouncing through him, hitting Mangini, turning 180 degrees and bouncing off of Jim Hermann before returning magically 360 degrees into the cameras of CBS. Folks, this just defies physics....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.