Jets fans' reaction to Chad's injury/NBC Mention. Merged X a lot

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Phokus, Sep 9, 2007.

?

The fans were cheering because...

1. Chad's ankle looked like it was on a swivel.

11.9%
  2. Chad was trying to get off the field on his own power.

25.4%
  3. Jets wouldn't have to waste a timeout.

1.0%
  4. They just really want to see Clemens.

41.8%
  5. They're drunk and have no idea what's going on.

9.5%
  6. Some girl flashed her tits.

8.5%
  7. Fan with a Brady jersey spilled his beer.

2.0%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The media and fans see what they want to see and believe it.

There's a real anti-Chad undercurrent in the overall Jets fan community right now and anything that could be perceived as a slight directed against him will be taken that way as a result.

I saw the play on TV, not at the stadium, and my initial reaction was that people were cheering Kellen Clemens coming on to the field. That's what I thought was happening, however the ocmmentators immediately suggested that the cheer was directed at Chad' injury.

In my opinion the commentators and all of the media are way off base on this and just took the opportunity to beat up on Jets fans.

When Chad came back into the game were there boos? No. But you can't change the media's mind when they have already run an open an shut case in their head and blurted it out on national TV.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's about what I assumed was going on, but even if there were some drunken fucking idiots cheering it, does every Jets fan with access to media need to be shamed and prodded for this? There are classless people everywhere. They fill a stadium with them in Philly. People need to get over it and reporters need to get off their high horse and stop turning it into a story they can get mileage out of.

3. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I'm not going to question whether there were a few hecklers out there, but there's going to be a few out there, and that's not only at the Meadowlands. The fact that the media is making it sound like an entire stadium turned on the guy suggests that they are just as unqualified as we always thought they were. Shame on the media. Shame on the commentators. And I can't really blame the Jets fans that thought the cheering was despicable because it was force-fed down their throats by the media.

While I accept that I cannot speak for EVERYONE out there, maybe StatJeff will back me up with my point of 0.1% of drunken asshole fans and can provide me with some sort of standard deviation on that number haha.

4. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

It was more than 0.1%, more like 5%, but it was really just drunken frustration. I don't think they were happy Chad got hurt, they just wanted a change and they were sick of Chad getting hurt all the time.

5. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Eh, I meant maybe 0.1% of fans cheering and yelling "YES HE'S HURT!" That kinda stuff. Chances are, if you're drunk enough and cheering for an injury, you're probably yelling something obscene at the poor guy as well.

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Hey I kinda laughed and was happy to see KC come in. I've been watching Pennington and quite frankly he makes me tired. I've slept through more Jet games because of 3rd and 16 4 yard passes.

Could have been the Gin and "other" things.....but hell, I even high-fived.

7. Blitz4Life

Blitz4Life Active Member

I figured that I would be the guy who voted for not wasting a timeout lol hahha

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

it's not media concocted, all we have to do is read these message board and we knowhow the fans feel about Chad. I was there, i know the reaction around me from JET fans. We had Pat fans there that were alot more classy than jet fans as they were shocked w/ the reaction from the crowd so don't pin it on pat fans.

Please, it was a roar. You don't have a roar from the crowd when a player goes down w/ an injury. last year he got up and pumped his fist, that desered a roar. Sunday's situation was completely different. Jet fans are a disgrace and at ties like this I am ashamed to be one.

They cheered extra loud for Clemens, it was clearly a shot at Chad. it was not an appreciation for his "great preseason".

9. JETSFANDC

JETSFANDC New Member

I think I posted the following in the wrong thread:

Long time reader (as in a few years), first time poster (not sure why I waited this long) -- I am from the DC area. I had tickets to the JETS-pats game this past weekend. I totally disagree with the media's interpretation of JETS fans' cheers re: Pennington's injury. We sent the following letter to Mr. Olbermann this evening:

Dear Mr. Olbermann,

As a loyal Jets fan, I was absolutely disgusted at your "Worst in the NFL" segment on Sunday, September 9, 2007. I was at the Jets/Patriots game on Sept. 9 at the Meadowlands and I, for one, did not hear anyone around me cheer or celebrate Chad Pennington injuring his ankle. What I did hear were many people express sincere concern for our fallen quarterback and applause when he stood up and hopped off the field. NY Jets fans respect and care for Chad Pennington. Every time he was sacked on Sunday, we were all relieved when he stood back up and shook it off because of the injury-wrought career that he has had in the NFL. He is a great quarterback and a great person. Jets fans stand behind Chad Pennington and his abilities.

On your program, you were right about one thing: As Kellen Clemens entered the field, we all cheered. We cheered in support of a young quarterback thrust into a game at a moments notice. We cheered because our team was down and the players were losing momentum. We cheered because we love our NY Jets.

How dare you lump the sum total of seventy-eight thousand fans into the same category. If there were a few people cheering at Chad Pennington's injury, then fine. But those few people do not characterize the spirit and devotion of all Jets fans. In criticizing the Jets fans present at the Meadowlands on Sunday, you insulted many fireman, police officers, military men, and public servants present. None of these people, nor other fans at the game, deserved to be dishonored by you on your TV show.

Lastly, who are you to point out the "Worst in the NFL" each week? Does our country really need your negativity? Aren't there enough people in and associated with the NFL that do great things to have a "Best in the NFL" segment instead?

Mr. Olbermann, I am ashamed at you and your segment. Football is the most American thing I know. It brings millions of people joy every week. Please do not taint that joy with your "Worst in the NFL" segment.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Well then you're a complete fucking idiot. And on top of that, Clemens came in and threw a 4-yard pass on 3rd and 20, so what was accomplished?

11. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Jets "fans" win Just shut up Award

I hope all those idiots that cheered Chads injury on Sunday are happy now. We are now the laughing stock of the entire nation and todays vote on Mike and Mike proves it. Its almost embarrassing to admit these people and I root for the same team

12. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

You have no idea of the scope of my idiocy. It's of biblical proportions.

Now that we have that settled, what do you care? The dude makes millions a year to play a friggin game, and I'm supposed to feel bad for him? How about the dude that breaks his leg falling off a house, while making $40k a year..or less? Them I feel bad for, Noodle Arm gets the least amount of my sympathy.

Once you step on that field, you give up all your rights to the river of tears.

Go sit down.

13. Italian Seafood

The fact that you would cheer and high-five for anybody being injured shows you up for a classless piece of shit. I don't care if it's Tom Brady, why cheer for a person to get hurt? It has nothing to do with how much money they make.

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

It's not media concocted but I don't see the reason to join the media in castigating the entire fan base for the actions of some idiots. It's a pretty big leap from not liking Pennington to cheering when he gets injured, probably fueled by lots of alcohol and being a total asshole in the first place.

Every fanbase has a portion of people that really don't know anything about the game beyond what they read in the paper or just go to the game to tailgate and get drunk.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

That is just about as disgraceful as anything I have ever heard on this board. The whole football community is laughing at you and in turn are laughing at me for your disgraceful behavior.

16. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Are you from whaaaaa-labama? Do you need a whaaaaa-mbulance?

Thankfully we're not friends....I hate pretending I give a shit.

17. Italian Seafood

Ignorant is also an appropriate word--some of these fat, drunk losers who failed gym cheering for a guy on their own team getting hurt. Unbelievable. And he was one of the only guys playing well for us on Sunday, too.

18. Italian Seafood

There's one thing we'll agree on. Loser.

19. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

bite me, tool.

20. Italian Seafood

Maybe I'll break your leg instead and then high five someone while you're laying on the ground.