The Patriots sign-stealing / radio scandal - Official Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MayoGate, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

http://jets.scout.com/2/677745.html

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...0,7434401.story

2. rillo

rillo New Member

I thought i heard them say that last night!.....good find!

3. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Hey stoool!

I do not believe that what happend Sunday had any effect on the field. We played poorly and lost badly.

That being said. I will take my time and wait for the league to make a decision on "Cameragate". It will be interesting to see how this plays out. With the league coming down hard on players for breaking the rules on and off the field how do you think they will react to your team breaking league rules? If they go easy on you what kind of message does that send to the fans?

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

As plausible as any other theory, I suppose. Except, that's not how it was alleged to have been used. Kerry Rhodes' statement was that Brady knew to check-off at the perfect time every time. The helmet mic, by that time, is off. So, there's only one guy for whom this information would be useful in real time. Besides which, if signals were to go through the coaches and then onto the field, they would have to do that AND give Brady time to check-off, that's a helluva lot to do in an extremely limited period of time.

5. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Okay don't believe that picture, how about this article from a reporter from your precious Boston:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1030707#articleFull

The Pats got caught period, stop making excuses.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

However one of the the things also being investigated by the NFL is suspicious radio activity.

Besides once you know the signals, if you relate them to the QB he only need look over to pick them up.

7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I wonder if the owners will rethink whether or not to allow the D coaches to call signals to the D players' helmets, just like we do with the QB now.

I'm sitting here and can't come up with one good reason why it shouldn't be allowed.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Combine all of this with the facts that A-Bellichick taught Mangini most of what he knows, making the signals possibly easier to decipher, and B-Brady is one of the smartest QBs in the NFL, and that's a deadly combination. Any edge is only going to make them tougher to stop, especially with Moss, Stallworth and Welker in the pass pattern.

9. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

10. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I suppose. A lot to do in a very short period of time, all the while you're also figuring out your next play to counter what you suspect the defense was going to be looking to do. I still think the most practical use would be for future gameplanning.

But let's play this out, because there are enough bright people around here to look at this with a logical eye.

The prior play ends, and the 45 second clock starts ticking. You're the Patriots' offensive coaching staff, and you take 15 seconds to talk through your next play over the headset. The offense is walking back to the huddle at the same time. They hit the huddle and you radio-in the play. The defense sends it's substitutions onto the field and signals-in the defensive call. You're down to 25 seconds. The camera guy shoots the defensive call at that point and it's immediately sent up to the Patriots booth(?). They call down to the field. The Patriots radio to Brady - who, again, is the only person who can use this information in realtime - and he surveys the defense to confirm where everything is. The helmet microphone goes off at 15 seconds. He starts his cadence at 10 seconds. Checks-off at 5.

Anyone want to add to alter that scenario?

11. Hobbes3259

Because QB's get their helmets knocked around alot less than defensive players.

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Well that seems to be something a bit more serious.

13. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

This is all too funny to me. Pats get caught cheating, their fans who have enough time on their hands to mingle in Jet's forums play the "everyone is doing it" card, and Jets fans are giving them the time of day with responses.

Michael Vick was in NO WAY the only man in america taking part in the dog fighting ring, but that does not make it right. If Mangini or TB had employed someone to do this and we go caught I would expect some sort of fine or loss of picks. Its ridiculous, I do not care how long something has been going on, the action can still be utter stupidity, just look at the people over in Spain running away from 8001b. horned animals with red towels on.

Lets get ready for the Ravens and let the league figure this one out.

14. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

Hey! Since I can't start a thread on here on my own, and all BS aside, I want to express my condolences and best wishes to anyone here who lost a friend or family member on 9/11 six years ago today.

15. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

This is what I reported yesterday at 4PM after hearing it on WFAN radio. WFAN said they are investigating "unidentified radio frequencies" being broadcast at the game. To me, this is even more interesting than the photo.

I know enough about Ham radio to know there's a lot you can do with some of the high-technology instruments available these days. For example, you can locate where a signal is coming from by "triangulating." Conversely, if you know where a signal is eminating from, there are devices to identify the frequency, or at the most, 2-3 frequencies for simplicity.

Now, I'm no Oliver Stone and I don't normally get into off-the-wall conspiracy theories, but suppose, just suppose, before a game starts, you are able to identify the radio frequency being used by the Jets Offensive and/or Defensive Coordinators between them and the HC, or between the HC and the QB. In all likelyhood, I'm supposing they'll all be on the same frequency.

So now, can you imagine the havoc you could create by having a guy in the stadium... ANYWHERE in the stadium (or for that matter, he could even be in a van in the parking lot) with a headset on that picks up those transmissions once you've identified and tuned into them?

The listener could be wearing a headset-microphone combination with an A-B switch which enables him to listen in on a conversation, then immediately switch to Belishit's frequency and tell him or his appropriate staff what he's heard the Jets saying.

Think about it... Bob Sutton calls for a blitz, Mangini resonds affirmatively and gives him a green light. The listener then swithes to the Pats frequency and lets the OC know, who in turn tells Brady. Brady takes the snap in the shotgun and then burns the blitz package over and over again. I know it sounds far-fetched, but off-the-wall espionage conspiracy theory not withstanding, what explains the "unidentified radio frequency" transmissions at the game? Pretty interesting. I'd love for them to investigate this and come up with something else to accompany the above photo.

And just for the record, Pats fans: I think the outcome of the game would have been the same regardless. You flat out beat us (mostly on the Lines of Scrimmage) so, no, I'm not copping out or saying you aren't the better team right now. But I am saying it's going to be plenty embarrassing if some of this stuff turns out to be true.

For now, all your talk on this board about us "embarrasing ourselves" over this is quite hypocritical. Take a good look at yourselves and you'll see who's embarrassing themselves. It's quite normal for us Jets fans to want to discuss and be inquisitive over the confiscation of film. It's you guys who look foolish, trying to refute the charges even before you have all the facts. The fact that you're even here is borderline stalking, but to say we're "embarrassing ourselves" by bringing it up and talking about something like this that's been reported on the news is, quite frankly, naive, adolescent and trolling.

16. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Well, I guess that explains how the stopped DeWayne Robertson.

17. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

no offense, but what are you smoking? That is not what the allegation stated at all. Read the reports.

And yes, the fact that the Pats cheated just adds onto it. They shouldn't need to cheat. They have more talent than any other team in the NFL. The fact that they do it smears everything about the Pats' glorious title reigns. You should be more outraged than the Jets fans.

18. Hobbes3259

Yes. I dont think its a real time scenario. I agree with the poster that said it was more likely a half time thing.

It's halftime, and you know the signals for the blitzes that the other team is using. You go over the signals, and plan appropriately.

First off you arent going to counter what the defense is going to do.
    You're going to call the play you want to run.

After the huddle, One coach, or the QB himself looks over on his way to the line, the signal is relayed in that pressure is coming, the QB changes the protection, and the call, the blitz fails, and the offense prevails.

19. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Well, there's always next year for the Pats to try and have a classy season.

20. themasochist

themasochist New Member

If they were cheating, I'd guess that it can result in 14 pt swing during the course of the game. That's huge. Picking up on our packages and blitzes is huge. This is no small matter. The Pats play calling against us was almost perfect, which belies something fishy going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.