The Patriots sign-stealing / radio scandal - Official Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MayoGate, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Makes a lot of sense. Like I said earlier, innocent till proven otherwise. Let's not jump into hasty conclusions yet - I don't think all the facts are out yet either.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

A trained eye could easily explain the defense (say outloud) after each play.

3. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I agree, but he is getting is the sound along with the hand signal. The call can be just as useful.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You had better STOP embarassing the Patriots fan base.

You'll know what my standpoint is on this issue, if you ever read my responses. (I don't buy it till it is proven otherwise.) Everyone else doing it doesn't make cheating a legal alternative to get an upperhand, so stop giving that line. I am starting to lose my respect for your fanbase as well with that sort of argument. What are you trying to say? "Everyone else is in it, so we're not the only one guilty?" Does that make Pats innocent? NO.

Also, when you guys are pulling that time next time, be more subtle, I'd like to advise you. *Same guy getting busted multiple times is not my definition of "covert action."*

5. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I think that the NFL will have to act harshly in a case like this. They have been trying to clean up the players from breaking the rules now you have a team that has just ignored the rules and not even caring if they get caught.

If the league goes easy on the Pats what kind of message is this sending to the fans?

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You say everyone is doing it yet the Pats are the only team getting caught, multiple times.. Hmm..

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I don't agree. If the tape is taken back to the locker room 1/2 hour before halftime (say), there is plenty of time to be able to notice that when a certain coach makes a certain signal it is followed by a certain play. That takes about 10 seconds to relay to a coach during halftime (the actual signal doesn't matter; only that someone will be looking for it). The coach wouldn't tell the players about it, either - he would just know when it was time to switch into a different offense or defense for a particular play (on blitz packages, for example).

This is all speculation at this point, of course, but if it turns out to be true it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference why they're doing it, or if they gain any competitive advantage doing it. It's against the rules, and should be dealt with accordingly, especially if (as has been alleged) this same guy did it last year in Green Bay.

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Of course. Then why the camera? Why not just have a guy with a radio. Recording something, you're generally doing it for future use.

I could definitely see this being done to create a database on teams and coaches. I just don't see a practical use for it during that game.

9. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

The allegation clearly states that the person wason the Patriots sideline. . Are you all that desperate to believe this stuff? You got beat. Eve if the Jets knew every play the Pats were calling, THEY STILL would have been beat.

When Moss scored the touchdown, he was the only reciever ina pattern and had 3 defenders covering him. Did the Pats really need to cheat to beat the Jets?

10. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

How soon until the newly-arrived asshole Pats fans, who add nothing whatsoever in terms of content, leave the board?

11. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

Gee...you think? This seems very credible to me. I'm sure the Patriots would never
    figure that out.

Good luck with your hopes resting on this one, Jets fans.

12. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

The fact that the culprit was on the Patriots sideline adds nothing? You'd rather believe this ridiculous photo of a guy with a huge camera on the Jets sideline is a spy?

13. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Unless of course they're running the live video against a pre-existing database, such that someone in a remote location is able to read the hand signals based upon what the camera is showing, live relay then to the Pats coaches. Sounds like alot of steps in a short amount of time, but I suppose that it is a possibility.

14. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

We're embarrassing ourselves by discussing what's in the news? This doesn't have anything to do with the Jets or Jets fans. It isn't our problem.. if you want to cry about how unfair this is, go to a Pats forum.

15. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Actually this kind of argument is more embarassing. "He's probably doing it, so it is okay if I do it." Really? Are we friggin 4 years old? Try using that argument the next time you get a speeding ticket. It is against the rules and the Pats got caught. It was stupid of the Packers not to have reported it.

The comical thing is the Pats don't need to do this kind of thing, but yet they keep doing it. What does that tell me about BB and the FO? Either 1) they are so arrogant and full of themselves they think they can do whatever they want with no consequences, or 2) they have the ethics of a sponge.

By you and other Pats fans coming here, first denying this ever happened and now making excuses, it tells me one thing about the Pats fanbase. That you all think the Pats are above reproach. That even in the face of this kind of evidence, you will come up with any kind of moronic argument in an attempt to prevent the "Pats Dynasty" from being tarnished in any way. If the Jets were caught doing this kind of crap you would be the first ones out there with pitch forks and torches. So get off it already.

16. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I disagree. They could have used the footage right away during the game without analysing it at the half. All it would take would be to see the same signal used twice, and the defense do the same or similar thigns twice whent hat signla is used. Once you see that, the signal is effed. So is the coach does somethign and Rhodes blitzes, then it happens again, there you go.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That's a good point, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think they may have also been getting a live signal, is it?

edit: If they were getting a live signal they could have picked up on the calls in the first half, then in the second half when the same calls were made they knew what was coming and sent the call into Brady. Not out of the question ...

18. bocajetfan

bocajetfan New Member

You are incorrect about where the "culprit" was located. According to reports:

The NFL confirmed it is looking into an incident that arose during the game when a Patriots employee was confronted by the Jets and league security while filming on the Jets' sideline at Giants Stadium.

19. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I suppose by leaving early they could get a headstart. Still, I think the most practical use for videotape is for future use in gameplanning; a database on every coach and their preferred signal patterns. During the game, assigning a guy to steal signals would be just as easy, if not more inconspicuous, without a camera on a shoulder pointed at the other sideline.

20. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Which is stupid, oh you cheated to win a game, so as punishment we'll take away a rookie and allow you to spend the money on a FA anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.