The Patriots sign-stealing / radio scandal - Official Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MayoGate, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They take photos of the defense from upstairs and have them laminated in a binder and in the QB's hands before the next series.

Of course it is practical that it could be used.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

When that day comes, they will leave.

I'm still amazed one of them lives in Green Bay and is a Patsies fan.

#122 Cakes, Sep 10, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I betcha there will be a draft choice forfeiture and a monetary fine.

4. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Yeah if the league finds any evidence you can count on it. The Patriots were specifically warned if they did something like that again they would be punished for it.. I don't think the league would just turn a blind eye.

5. MK1

MK1 Member

just send the draft choice to the NY JETS

6. allan1

allan1 Active Member

They need to start investigating how long stuff like this was going on. Did they do this in the Super Bowl or Championship games. Maybe strip them of their titles if they're cheaters/

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Hehehe. . . . :lol:

8. Not to mntion they could use the signals to match them w/ plays for the next time we play and many times after!

9. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

Here is another one for you guys and gals to enjoy.. From the Boston Herald.. :up:

The dominoes keep falling ?
    Posted by John Tomase at 6:28 pm
    Word out of Buffalo is that the Bills suspected something was up last year after their 28-6 loss to the Pats in October, but they lacked proof. The Bills are now in the process of reviewing the film of both games against the Patriots to see if they can spot anything untoward going on on either sideline. It?s a safe bet that other Pats opponents are doing the same thing.

A couple of points to consider as this story unfolds. For one, if the Pats were stealing signs from the Packers and Lions, it?s a pretty good bet they?re stealing them from everyone, or at least trying.

Also, one has to question the wisdom of pulling such a trick on the Jets, who feature a coaching staff comprised mainly of former Patriots assistants. Even if the Pats only started this practice last year, that was still while former wide receivers coach Brian Daboll was on staff. He now coaches the Jets QBs. Did the Patriots think none of their former employees would rat them out?

10. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I'm not surprised at all.... If I were the Phins, or the Bills, or even the Colts for that matter, I'd be really nervous, and REALLY cautious from now on.... I'm sure frustration is commonplace with these teams when they play New England. The teams are almost always outmatched, talent wise, and they thought they were always outmatched when it came to coaching...

We all knew Belichick was a defensive genius, but the outstanding offense only came about within the last couple seasons.... Brady definitely has a lot to do with it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had a little... edge

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I know it's like this guy is taking photos, going to a dark room and then fed exing them to Bellichicken. With the technology of today there is no way they weren't used yesterday. Why would the Packers and Lions be so upset? They play the Pats once every 4 years.... not twice a season.

12. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

As everyone is saying, you can easily see this going on for the last couple of years...but let's be realistic. Were they that sophisticated with this cheating that no one except the Packers and Lions caught on? And if there was real evidence, why didn't the league act the first and second time? The issue of stealing signs, while it's basically a part of the game in baseball, is very different in football and I don't think that it would be a 3-strike type system.

On the other hand, I just watched back the game when the Patriots were on offense (painfully) and, really, every time the Jets brought 3 or 4 guys on rush, the Pats had 3-5 wide receivers and it was a pass play. Every time they brought a blitz, the Pats either had a screen, a short pass, or extra blockers to pick it up. While watching it the first time, it just seemed like the Pats had the Jets gameplan totally figured out. But now reviewing it, what exactly did they have figured out?

If there is substantial evidence about this, (which I would guess there would because wrongly accusing someone of cheating in football is a big no-no, especially with tough as nails Goodell as new commissioner) then I would have to think at the LEAST, the Pats will lose minor draft picks and have a fine. However, with this being the third time the PAts have been accused of cheating, specifically stealing signs, I could see a much harsher punishment, including losing MAJOR draft picks and possibly a forfeit of the game?

Well, maybe the forfeit is wishful thinking, but it would be nice huh?

13. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

if this is true and they were stealing signs maybe they knew when we were blitzing and packed 8 men on the line whenever we did, cus remember sean ellis was complaining after the game that everytime they tried gettin after brady they had 8 men blocking which is unusual for a team with a strong oline and recieving core....just a thought

14. Barry the Baptist

I don't wanna win a game by virtue of a forfeit but certainly a harsh punishment should be brought down. If Goddell is going to punish people who get into trouble off the field then he should punish guys who violate the integrity of the game by suspending them. If it is found out that is true and now Buffalo is coming out saying they think this may gone on in their game last year then there needs to be swift and harsh punisment on whoever is authorizing this. That would make 4 teams and it isn't what Sean calls sour grapes it's a serious violation of not only rules but sportsmanship which we already knew Bellichicken had none to begin with. If all 4 of these cases are investigated and proven then Bellichicken needs to be suspended either 4 or 8 games.

15. And again, the Colts and Jags both had gripes as well.

16. Barry the Baptist

So lets see....

Jets
    Bills
    Packers
    Bills
    Lions
    Jags
    Colts

That's 7 .... this may be the tip of the iceberg. Don't be surprised if the Eagles, Panthers and Rams come out and check the Super Bowl tapes and see similar types of "coincidences". I seem to remember the Steelers AFC Title Game (which should have been us) and the Steelers did absolutely nothing right. They were 15-1 that year and looked like a 7-9 NFC team in that game.

Oh wait it's just sour grapes and happens all the time and is perfectly fine.

17. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Has an NFL team ever forfeited a game that was already played? I cant recall an instance of this ever occuring.
    I just cant see it happening. A pretty hefty fine and loss of draft picks would be the punishment this time.
    Maybe if they get caught again.......

18. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

I did find this out about forfeits.

From the rule book

League President, and their representatives, including referees, are not authorized unilaterally to declare forfeits. A forfeit occurs only when a game is not played because of the failure or refusal of one team to participate. In that event, the other team, if ready and willing to play, is the winner by a score of 2-0.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

That isnt necessarily true.

It's much easier playing offense, when you have the defensive calls.

After getting his ankle rolled, Pennington came back in, and drove straight down the field for 6.

28 14, with Pennington carving up the defense.

IF....NE Doesnt have the calls, maybe Brady doesnt have three days to make the javelin throw to moss, for 51 yards, or the ability to mount a 10 minute drive in the other side of the Jets second TD.....

The better team yesterday...was the one that didnt cheat.

It will be interesting to see how the Defense plays next week, and how NE's Offensive line plays next week.

Personally, I think if the tape that was confiscated and the game tape shows that NE gained their 'competitive advantage' cheating, a forfeit draft choice, i not just.

They should forfeit the win, since, as a division opponent they can make it right for themselves by winning the next matchup, and compiling a better record along the way.

However, if the allegations are true, than the Jets can never be compensated for what was done here.
    (Though I bet there will be some.......non-home team officiating in the next matchup...)

#139 Hobbes3259, Sep 10, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  20. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

One thing is for damn sure, there won't be any video guy on the Pats sideline for this coming weeks game versus the Chargers...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.