Game Lost in the Off-Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Sep 9, 2007.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

The Jets deficiencies were highlighted in the playoff game last year vs Pats.

Weak and small along both lines, the Jets were dominated in the trenches.

So what did Tannebaum and mangini do to correct this issue?

Not only did they NOT upgrade the line through the draft or FA (a 6th round 1AA player does not qualify), the forced their veteran G out the door without a suitable back up plan, and failed to draft or invest in a FA G or T during the off-season.

END RESULT: O-LINE WEAKER THAN WHEN THE PATS RAN THROUGH THEM IN JANUARY

On defense, the Jets went out and stockpiled various retread DE when the team is being gashed through the NT position. If Eric is following Bill's blueprint, how can he possibly think he'll succeed without a "wilfork" in the middle of his 3-4? The addition of run-stuffer Harris seems like a good idea...but, you got to play him right?

END RESULT: D-LINE STILL JUST AS WEAK AS WHEN THE PATS GASHED THEM IN JANUARY

Despite my ridiculous fan optimism, this game went just as I thought it would. The GAP HAS WIDENED.

Maybe Tangini will get the message next offseason.

2. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. One of the biggest mistakes was not getting that big fat guy in the middle. That position if anything was worth trading up for. However, based on the way our secondary looked today I am glad that we selected Revis.

3. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

While I want to disagree with your downer attitude, I still assert that it's one game. This year was a weak draft, there weren't any big body 3-4 candidates at the NT position, and last time I checked we're in a tough financial situation with D ROB because of the rookie contract he signed.

It's not just a one-dimensional situation where there are half a dozen FA prospects every year at the NT position; wherein our FO just ignored the need and focused in on drafting I AA tackles.

Don't pretend to boil down a complicated business and the decisions made therein to a single game.

4. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

From the Boston Globe tomorrow:

The chess match between Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Jets coach Eric Mangini took a back seat as the Jets were on the physically-unable-to-match-up list with the Patriots offense. New England was forced to punt just one time and rolled up 431 yards.

The team's first play from scrimmage came with two tight ends and a fullback, which is a power set. Running back Laurence Maroney rumbled off right tackle for 11 yards. Two plays later, 6-foot-6-inch, 330-pound offensive tackle Ryan O'Callaghan entered the game as a third tight end, and Maroney was grinding out a 6-yard gain over the right side.

6 6 330 lb OT and he's the back-up

It is simple...the Jets keep grabbing finesse players, and the Patriots are loaded with monsters...did you see the size of Brady's linemen?

5. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Exactly, but this has been said alot. I really don't understand why Mangini didn't do anything about it, it's terrible.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You win based on your lineplay. This is not rocket science. My assumption is that the Jets brain trust knew this was a rebuilding year and that they would not be able to compete effectively against the elite teams. They decided to cherrypick the best players for their defense this year and take their lumps until better circumstances presented themselves next year to fix the lines.

That's the only rational explanation for how bad the Jets lines are this year.

7. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

sums it up well

8. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Not so sure about that one. O-Line usually takes at least a year to develop... I Couldn't see O-Line being the last position addressed in a rebuilding stage, but more likely the first, which is what i thought Mangini was getting at with last years draft.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Both sides of the line are not as bad as the Patriots made them seem.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They're very close to that bad.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We would all feel a hell of alot better about our D if A. Thomas is roaming the field on our D instead of our biggest rivals.

I understand the complaints about not improving the OL because that could have been addresses and improved but the Dl is another story altogether. There was not one NT available that would have improved the DL. Next year seems to be the time to address that weakness with a couple legit NT prospects coming out in the draft.

12. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

my gripe is tangini isn't using free agency as another tool to restock the team. i not saying go out and sign every high priced FA, but they could have gotten oline and dline help. there were some good free agents out there to be had..

13. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I guess Tannenbaum still thinks DeWayne Robertson is the answer as his 3-4 NT. The guy wasn't even 1st team all ACC at Kentucky.

I was okay with letting John Abraham go, so long as we addressed the need for a dominant pass rusher to replace him. Brady could have done his nails back there, he had so much f'ing time to contemplate his 3rd, 4th and 5th options on every single passing play....

14. XxAlbert84xX

XxAlbert84xX New Member

Well the guy cant be all ACC at Kentucky now can he.

15. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

GSour..you hit the nail right on the head. It surprises and saddens me that the "sunnysiders" don't see what's happening with this team.

As I said earlier, it's too early to give up on the season, but after the loss to NE in the playoffs, I was hoping to see the FO be a lot more AGGRESSIVE. I've thought this before, but it seems to me, Tangini tries to build this team on the cheap. Sign retreads such as Wadsworth, Haynes and Hicks and hope they get some modicum of contribution.

WAKE UP....

16. MAJORPAYNE

MAJORPAYNE New Member

:eek:hmy: :rofl2: :rofl2: :breakdance: :lol:

17. I can't understand why in the second year of a rebuilding process, that we didn't decide to take advantage of decent cap room and draft picks to add talent and depth to the roster. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

We weren't a play away from the super bowl, we weren't decimated by injuries to high performing key players, and we werent strapped by low draft picks and lingering salary cap penalties! There was no reason NOT to try and add talent to the roster.

The one position I do feel we could not upgrade was NT. There simply wasn't anyone available who was capable of not only playing the position but unseating D rob. Frankly, we shouldnt be playing a 3-4 anyway. D rob, Ellis, Barton, and Vilma(arguably our best front 7 players) are all better fits in the 3-4. It's not easy finding quality replacements at those spots in the draft and FA.

Other than that, there is no reason we couldnt add a body or 2 to at least compete on the OL, as we saw wha the main weakness was for us all last season...lack of size and drive along the OL.

Remember back on draft day when I caught so much heat for my thread bashing our FO for not better addressing the lack of depth on this roster?? Well brace yourselves everyone....what you saw yesterday is the reason Why. I envisioned this from the get go.

18. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Blame the offseason

Everyone in our division got better except us and it showed. Did I expect for us to win, no, but I did expect them to hang in there not get blown out. We were beaten in every aspect of the game, not even out strength special teams did we win. It all goes back to the offseason, no big signings, a below average draft, thats not how you win SB's, hell thats not how you win games. This character shit, and Mangini's guy crap needs to go out the door, if you want to win and win now, you take chances, look at the Pats, that Moss move looked pretty damn good yesterday. Adalius Thomas was all over the damn field. Both guys we could have had a chance at but no thats not the type of guys we want on the team. When will the FO get shit right.

19. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Finally, some comin sense..:)

20. Sean_in_titletown

Hey, at least you have good hand placement skills thanks to Teddy Atlas. Better get Teddy and the focus gloves out. Que up the "Rudy" DVD. Mangini is a great coach but I think he likes his ESPN segments and Sopranos cameos a little too much. Tannenbaum is a capoligist turned football talent evaluator? D'Brick looks to be an average LT. You can't have too many swings and misses on top 5 picks....