How can we beat the Pats?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Tony, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Mods, can we get rid of this guy please? Thanks.

2. Taken care of.

For future reference..there is nothing wrong w/ friendly arguments among TGGers and NE fans...But personal attacks will not be tolerated.

That is all

3. Ten

Ten Active Member

I like how you can't actually respond to the points that winston made.

The pats do have the talent to win it this year but this is a much different team from the dynasty years.The pats are buying talent instead of drafting and developing it.And the pats in game adjustments haven't been anywhere as good as they were when Weiss was in charge.

4. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

Damm.. That most of been a record for one of my fellow Pats fans on this board.. :rofl:

5. njjet

njjet Member

Brady has to be looking at the sky all day. If not it's lights out for the JETS :jets:

6. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I'm way ahead of you. I also made sure they were virgin goats.

7. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Thanks Kurt.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I love how he called me a "F-ing rookie" and now he's banned. Hilarious.

and he actually thinks that Junior Seau is still one of best linebackers around.

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The possability for a tropical rain storm for Sundays game could make things very interesting. Weather can be a great equalizer and if Jones is actually healthy may give us a slight edge as it takes it's toll on the passing game. Could be a lot of balls on the turf as well.

With Seymour and Harrison out and a big weather system coming in things look to be brakeing our way very nicely. GPC.

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

How did you know I descended from the Mongols? Talk about a dynasty, we Mongols had a much better record than the Pats when it came to winning the big one. We know when a team is ready to be over run and the Pats are certainly ready.

Unfortunately we can’t have our way with your cheerleader and pillage the concessions any more but I’m a modern guy, I’m willing to settle for the ass whopping on the field that you’re on the decline team is going to get several Sundays this year. GPC

11. Danny Boy?

Danny Boy? New Member

Very true...a tough, pressuring defense can disrupt Brady into throwing a pick...too bad the Jets dont posses such an asset.

12. Tai Mai Shu

Tai Mai Shu Banned

Don't worry...keep signing our former players and one day you'll beat us...

13. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

I hate to be a "Sunshine Soldier" but I am hoping the clear and 87 projected for Saturday carries over into Sunday for the Home Opener. While a storm would definitely alter the game's play, I'd rather it be a clear, beautiful day for us fans to be pumped up throughout the game. Not that we're only loud and into it when it's not a perfect day, but thunderstorms regardless can take the energy away from a crowd that's concerned with keeping dry. If it does rain, however, fuck it. I'm there screaming regardless.

The more I listen to discussions about the JETS vs. Pats, it's becoming a game that people believe will be a fight due to a new NE receiving core that may not be in sync yet, a leader lost on defense, and the JETS having homefield for their home opener against our rival.

14. EarlytoRise

EarlytoRise Member

Weather Report as of right now:

Sun Sep 9 Few Showers 80?/70? 30%

15. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

The more I hear of Jets vs Pats talk the more I just want this game to start.. Geez.. I'm even taking Thursday and Friday off from work to get ready for this game, and I'm not even playing in it.. :rofl:

16. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

We have to play a near perfect game to over come a better team , lets not kid ourselves. The key to this game is ball control. If the Pats have stocked the cupboard with all these goodies then slam the door shut! Our defense has to do what is necessary to allow our offense to stay ion the field longer....ball control. They went out and got a Premiere back (Or so called) and its time to use him. If any one thinks penny will do anything other then dink and dunk his way down Field there crazy! I'm alright with it now! if that's what penny and the jets do then so be it! its time to march and that the only way we win this game > if the rushing yard total reads T Jone 56 yards guess what we lost ,If it reads T Jone 130-150 we win! period. ( re-posted because its reavent to current thread topic and no one had the balls to touch it on the other!)

#116 JUNJOBX2199, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  17. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Junjobx, I'm with you on the Thomas Jones theory. Like many have said before, our yds against NE when we won were 115 or so, and the playoff loss we had just over 50, if my memory serves me right. TJ and Leon have to have mistake free play and a combined day of 150+. It may sound crazy at first, but I can see TJ grinding out 90+ while Leon breaks ankles in the open field. Throw in Coles, Cotch, JMC, and Smith in motion plays, and I think we can hold our own.

Anyone have any views on our run defense? We've seen a lot of posts about rushing Brady, but they know we'll respect his arm and abilities enough for them to hand it off 20-30 times. How will we respond?

18. patschick

patschick New Member

Here is a breakdown of the game that was written by a Journalist. She is a Pats fan and posts one of these gems every week during the season. Although she got the game location wrong - I thought it was a well written piece regarding this game. I'm sorry it's long, but I thought some of you might enjoy the read. Here's to a good, injury free game:up:

Kicking Off The 2007 Season: Breaking Down The Jets

Okay, it?s 4 a.m. and you?ve caught me without so much as a smudge of Nars lip gloss left on my sweet little pussycat lips. And to make matters worse, I?ve deliberately been engaging in misdirection and subterfuge about the identity of that new, high-impact running back for the Jets. (Hint: he?s not Sir Thomas Jones Woodward, that cheesy British singer from the ?70s).

But make no mistake, RB Thomas Jones is the real deal and a cause for concern on Sunday. (No matter how much injury chatter swirls about, I do expect him to be on the field as the premier back, with Leon Washington spelling him on third down). This 5?10?, 220 ex-Bear racked up 1,210 yards last year and six TDs ? averaging 4.1 yards a carry. We remember him well from Week 12 when he gained 99 yards on the messy field turf at Gillette.

Cowboy Julius Jones? older brother is very smart, quick and an extremely effective runner between the tackles. If the Jets? O-line can give him the blocking support he needs, he will excel by running the ball down the defense?s throat. Jones? speed was showcased in that pretty 52-yard run against the Colts in Super Bowl XLI, but he?s also adept at grinding out the yards when he has to.

In short, this is a big upgrade over last year?s running-back-by-committee and it promises a powerful punch for Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer?s scheme. Stopping Jones will be as big a priority as pressuring QB Chad Pennington on Sunday.

Receiving Orders
    WR Laveraunes Coles has always had a reputation for putting his body on the line to haul in catches over the middle so defensive backs seldom ignored him. But last year marked the surprise debut of Jerricho Cotchery (who burned Ellis Hobbs bad on that unforgettable TD). In the 2006 season, Cotchery stunned observers with more than three times as many catches as he had in his 2004 and 2005 seasons combined. The ?Cotchery Surprise? brilliantly showcased Mangini?s talents for misdirection and subterfuge (learned at the feet of Jedi Master Bill Belichick).

Cotchery is still around and dangerous, of course, but face it ? we?ve seen that film and Asante?s back in the fold. To get burned that badly by this guy on Sunday, someone will have to lose focus big and at a really bad time. But we still need to watch out for a ?Cotchery Surprise? even if we?ve studied the tape of the actual guy frontward and backward.

Why? Because I?ve got a hunch that Mangini has a new Cotchery waiting in the wings and if I were a betting girl, I?d say his name is Brad Smith, a.k.a. Mr. Versatility. In his 2006 rookie year, he played receiver, running back and quarterback. With the team having kept on Marques Tuiasosopo, the Conventional Wisdom says Smith will be focused a little more on catching the ball in the days and weeks to come. But here?s the thing: Mangini was an honor student at Belichick University ? where Conventional can?t even be searched out and printed up on the campus map. Bottom line: Expect something freaky.

Year Two Of The 3-4
    Mangini stepped into his first season as H.C. of the NYJ to find a personnel mix not exactly tailor made for his 3-4 defense. Moving into the 2007 season has been a journey of truth and evolution. Truth because not everything worked out in real life as it should have on paper (as is usually the case). Kimo von Oelhoffen, a veteran of the 3-4 that helped the Steelers get their ?one for the thumb?, turned out to be less than the Jets hoped and now he?s found new digs in Philly with Andy Reid?s Eagles.

On the evolutionary front, Jonathan Vilma, the 4-3 stud, turned out to be a big asset in Mangini?s defense last year and is likely to build on his 2006 success. If there?s a weak link here it?s Dewayne Robertson, who struggled against the run last year and needed to step up the pressure against the pass.

The secondary has a couple of storylines worth watching as the season progresses. The Andre Dyson trade chatter is curious and frankly I don?t see the value ? particularly since he likely won?t have to learn the name of some new, random corner playing on the other side from week-to-week like he did last year.

The solution on paper is rookie Darrelle Revis out of Pittsburgh who, on paper at least, will start. This guy is tough, aggressive, and impressive (consider his 4.39/40 and 38-inch vertical jump). He has talent for playing the run too. He came out as a junior, so I think he?ll need some seasoning before he?s ready for prime time, however we?d be ill advised to ignore him.

But where I think he can make his biggest impact is in the return game. He lit up the field last year on a 73-yard punt return for a TD against West Virginia. If he can get a block, basically, he?s gone. This guy could be some trouble.

When The Jets Last Stepped Into Gillette
    ?We met at nine. (We met at eight.) I was on time. (No, you were late.) Ah yes! I remember it well,? the old song goes ? but alas, those lovers remembered it a little differently. I?d wager the Patriots and Jets remember their last tango at The Razor rather differently, too.

For the Pats, their 37-16 win was a springboard to an impossible victory over the dominant Chargers at home and a step that came within a heartbeat of taking the AFC Championship title (and likely a fourth Lombardi Trophy in six years).

For rookie coach Eric Mangini and his Cinderella team, it was the breathless plunge from the thrill of victory to the agony of defeat ? a cruel death to end a shockingly stellar season. That backward pass/fumble and the failed challenge that followed probably grates as well.

On Sunday, the Jets will come back to Foxborough in hopes of supplanting the memory of that night with new sights and sounds ? a highlight reel that Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum hope will advance their plans to rule the roost in the AFC East come season?s end.

But the journey forward starts by looking back. ?Fight Night? aficionado Mangini knows that because, as the line in Million Dollar Baby goes, ?boxing is an unnatural act, that everything in boxing is backwards: sometimes the best way to deliver a punch is to step back...? One thing is certain: Mangini has been stepping back for eight months so he can deliver Sunday?s punch with maximum force.

(continued in next post)

19. patschick

patschick New Member

(continued)

Stepping Back: Jan. 7, 2007
    At the risk of being chased down the public street and flogged by a rampaging mob of theoretical physicists, I?ll say that the Pats beat the Jets that day by excelling in the football equivalent of the three traditional spatial dimensions: game planning, coaching and execution.

This cord of three strands limited the Jets? ability to run, forcing Chad Pennington to try to win the game with his arm. New York managed only 70 yards on the ground; the Pats? D stepped up the pressure on the QB, too. While Pennington did manage 300 yards in the air, he was sacked three times, picked once and lost a fumble.

On offense, the Pats handled the pressure from the aggressive Jets defense and limited the effectiveness of those exotic blitzes; Tom Brady was sacked only once. While Tommy was no slacker at 22 of 34 for 212 yards and two TDs, New England managed to run the ball well too ? Laurence Maroney and Corey Dillon teamed up for a combined 158 yards (Dillon rushed for a TD).

The Patriots? execution was particularly effective on third down and in the red zone (on offense and defense). The Pats were a mind-blowing 11-16 (69 percent) on third-down conversions, but limited Mangini?s heretofore efficient offense to 3-11 (29 percent). The Patriots were 3-6 in the red zone; the Jets 0-3. And those numbers just might offer a glimpse of that all-powerful fourth dimension that flows around and through the other three: serious, butt-kicking situational football.

(Irrelevant side point: I could compare Belichick?s gameplanning wizardry to String Theory, but there?s something desperately wrong about a blonde talking about stuff like that in the middle of the night. Don?t ask me why?)

Stepping Further Back
    The Wild Card game was the tie-breaker ? the fitting end to the regular season?s split decision. But for the proper context, Mangini no doubt stepped back to the two regular season matchups. Gang Green lost 24-17 at home in Week 2, but cracked the code in Week 10 ? and won the rematch 17-14. How did the student best the Teacher the second time around? Mangini focused like a laser on the task at hand and filtered out all the diversions and distractions. He also got more creative and more aggressive ? architecting an efficient rushing attack on offense and going blitz-happy on defense.

In Week 2, the Jets managed only 51 rushing yards; in Week 10, ex-49er RB Kevan Barlow and rookie Leon Washington stung the Pats for 110 yards and a TD. Even though QB Chad Pennington had a good day statistically in the first meeting (22 of 37 for 306 yards, two TDs and one INT), the Pats defense sacked him four times. In the rematch, he was sacked only once. (Brady, who was sacked only once in Week 2, was sacked four times in Week 10).

Perhaps the most significant statistical shifts between the games occurred in two areas: red zone efficiency and third down conversions. In the first game, the Patriots were 3/5 in the red zone (60 percent) while the Jets were 0/1. In the rematch, the Jets defense held the Patriots to only 1/3 (33 percent). The Jets offense improved its performance in the red zone to 50 percent (1/2).

On third down, the numbers are even more arresting. In the first game, the Pats were 8/14 in third down conversions (57 percent); the Jets 11/18 (61 percent) ? good execution by both sides. But the second time around, the Jets offense managed to get it done in the mud with a respectable 6/13 (46 percent); but the Pats? offense stumbled ? converting only 3/12 (25 percent).

Stepping Back To The Future
    Every game is its own unique organism and you usually can only dissect the thing after its dead. But there are still a lot of valuable lessons to be learned from the past. The Jets were able to beat the Pats when they were able to do the following five things efficiently:

1. Pick Up The Blitz. This was key in keeping Tom Brady upright and minimizing sacks and turnovers.

2. High-Percentage Passes. Brady was able to pick the Jets bones clean with a lot of short passes to multiple receivers, limiting the Pats? vulnerability to the timing challenges that were present with receivers at various points in the season.

3. Stop the run. Pennington put up 300 yards in each of the Jets losses and the offense largely was one-dimensional. Part of the problem was a rushing attack by committee: with an injured Curtis Martin, Kevan Barlow, Cedric Houston and rookie Leon Washington were rotated through, with uneven results.

4. Pressure Pennington. An aggressive defense was able to make sacks and force turnovers.

5. Efficiency On Third Down and In The Red Zone (on offense and defense). This was a key difference maker in the three games and the most reliable predictor of the outcome. When the Pats executed well here, they won. When they didn?t, they lost.

Sunday?s Checklist

1. Stop Thomas Jones. This guy may be the next Curtis Martin in his prime. He?s a powerful weapon, but speedy defenders can neutralize that strength. Case in point, the Colts in Super Bowl XLI had some success in pushing him out ? even on some plays where the blocks were very, very good. And some O-line issues remain for the Jets. While these guys have done a good job of pass protection, they have struggled to open up the run.

2. Make Chad Make Mistakes. Pennington is good and last season he was healthy ? a troublesome combination for opposing defenses. But he also has turnover challenges ? he had the same number of INTs as TDs last year (16). Pressure will work in our favor.

3. Never Give Up, Never Give In, Never Look Back. Stay alert to Mangini?s trickery, and don?t get ?Cotcheryed? on Sunday.

4. The Truth Is In The Tape. Sure Mangini will throw in something old and something new (maybe even something borrowed and something Blue), but when push comes to shove, the Jets will be who they are and they will react to situations according to their nature. That nature, those tendencies, have revealed themselves in a lot of game film. At the end of the day, the truth is in the tape and the solution is in the situation.

5. Pass Protection. Protect Brady from an aggressive, blitzing defense. Bryan Thomas and Victor Hobson posted personal best sack seasons in 2006; Jonathan Vilma and the rest of the fellas are no slackers either.

6. See The Opportunity In The Crisis. At some point on Sunday, our best-laid plans for our new world-class receivers will likely go awry. Whether it?s Dyson or Revis, Kerry Rhodes or someone else, we will find an unpleasant surprise gift-wrapped and left somewhere. What we do with it, how we hold ourselves together as a team, how we take the next step forward, will decide the day.

7. Beware The No-Huddle. I still don?t like the success Mangini, Schottenheimer and Pennington had with this last year, but shutting down Jones (and Washington) will help keep things under control.

8. Execute Efficiently. Success on third down and in the red zone is key, as is holding on to the ball.

9. Get Our Running Game Started Fast. Let Morris and Maroney burn up the field on Sunday.

10. Play A Full 60 Minutes. This is a new year, a clean slate. It doesn?t matter what happened last year ? if every man executes well on every play, the Pats will win this game.

11. Let The Spymaster Teach His Former Pupil Some New Tradecraft. No one can reinvent his own brilliance like Bill Belichick. And nobody is better at ?Maskirovka? than the Master.

20. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Pretty good breakdown on both sides of the ball and both teams in general.

I can't say thanks and will remain bitter that you, a Pats fan, posted this draft, but it's somehow appreciated. Are you are least a blonde too?

Kidding...

All in all, a lot of what was said, ESPECIALLY the red zone numbers, speak truth to how well we'll do come Sunday.

I wish you no luck and I hope you can't sleep on Saturday night, Patschick.