pats vs jets: spread offense sets.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jilozzo, Sep 4, 2007.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

it wont be a surprise on Sunday, at least to me, that both temas will employ the no huddle at times and spread the field out - lining up 3, 4, and even 5 receivers and have their respective QB's cherry pick among targets.

Unfortunately this is where the pats own a healthy advantage and will likely prov to be the difference on Sunday. many teams have trouble in this area cause of several reasons - lack of cb depth, lack of a good pass rush up the middle, no substitutions due to no huddle, etc etc.

belichek is going to attack our uncertainty at CB and likely spread 4 and 5 wide. with no pass rush the pats can block with only 5 on the line and if the jets blitz, brady will find the hot target. it is a very tough spot for the jets.

when the jets decide to spread they will have problems going more than 3 wide cause of the off line. CP will get killed. his mechanics plus lack of protection will limit the jets ability to use a spread against the pats. i actually look for the jets to move around a bunch, line up 3-4 receivers but run the ball out of several of those formations.

the jets need to use the no huddle and get some of the veterans on the pats D running sideline to sideline. hopefully tire them out on a couple drives and be able to score.

i guess everyhting stems from that darn o line, huh.....

jil

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I think the Jets will be fine this week, and wouldnt rule out a win...but hey I guess we will find out Sunday

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

AS always very insightful jil. A very good observation on your part. I agree with you just said.

4. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

Listen, I said it on the prior thread. This is going to be a tough game for the Pats for a number of reasons. Both teams know each other so well that it's tough for one to get a distinct advantage over the other. Mangini will be Mangini and will implement a great game plan, he's a heck of a coach. I think the game will be 3-7 point margin at the end and it could go either way based on turnovers. I think the team that wins the turnover battle will win the game. When these two teams play, I would throw the talent diffential out the window and focus on turnovers and game plans.

5. EarlytoRise

EarlytoRise Member

Nice post. I think our DBs and LBs will be fine it would be their spreading the field and setting up the screen that I would worry about the most. Hopefully we held back on all our scheming during the preseason and will have some sort of pass rush this season after all. We have seen zilch from our Dline acquisitions so far.

6. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

What's the latest on Thomas Jones?

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He will be our starting RB for Week 1

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And he will run for 125. Seymour being out, is going to Kill the pats on 3rd and short situations.

Wilfork is a force, to be sure, but when they send in 4-3 Wilfork and Seymour are tough to beat.

Adalius Thomas will not make up for that loss.

The Jets will be able to run the ball Sunday, especially Inside.

And as bad as we looked against the run in the preseason....so did NE.

9. MrTibbs

MrTibbs New Member

Dude what games were you watching? The Patriots rush defense was insane. The first preseason game was iffy but after that it was lights out. No way in hell you can put the Patriots rush defense in the same breath as the Jets lousy run D. You better go check your sources.

10. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

It would be good to see us keep the Pats out of their comfort zone early in this game. If we can manage to score early and get up 10-0 or better we have a better chance if we can force them to play catch up. It may be asking a lot. More than likely we will end up with a game similar to last years when we just ended up dueling back and forth.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The team that has the ball last will win.

Prediction:

Jets 27-24 on a Nugent 54 yarder at the gun.

12. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

set up the run with the pass... even if the go 4 or 5 wide, Penny can get the job done with short to intermediate passes. Going 5 wide doesnt mean they have to post up and bomb it. Look at App. State vs Mich. they do nothing but the spread and it was michingans weakness. The only downside is that to get those corner passes you have to zip it in their which i dont think penny is capable of doing and their QB was mobile. Penny has bulked up but he cant take shot after shot. We can employ this strategy if they stick to Penny's strengths and then finish them off with Jones.

13. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

I completely agree that we will show numerous formations with 4 WR's. 5WR sets might be a little too risky with the protection needed, but a 5WR set just probably takes the Pats out of blitzing and might even take Thomas off the field.

With 4 WR sets the key is the ability for the offense to run crossing patterns, which allows the WR's to try to use the other DB's to pick each other off. The Pats are VERY good at this and Welker runs tons of patterns across the field. He rarely runs out patterns or hooks, more often than not he finishes on the opposite side of the field that he started.

Problem with xrossing routes is the extra second needed for the QB, which agains comes back to the pass blocking....

So as you pointed out it all comes full circle - back to the Offensive Line.

14. patsox23

patsox23 Member

LOL. Best of luck with that. The Patriots front 7 - with or without Seymour - has been ELITE against the run. I don't see that changing on Sunday, especially not against that putrid OL.

You're serious about that stuff?

15. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

you bet, he's just a super homer!!!

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The Jets won't beat the Pats at their own game by spreading the field. Quite the opposite I think... the Jets need to run the ball down the Patriots faces with Jones and use play action passes to make quick strikes to Coles, Cotchery, and Neon Leon and let them do what they do best, and that is light up the field. To use an old adage from the Giants... Thunder and Lightning...

17. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I never liked commentary that suggests that there will be a turnover . Say's who? There are not\many things that you can say are definitely going to happen Some running , some throwing , possibly even a touch down or two but to say the entire game rests on the turnover ratio is shear madness. We have to play a near perfect game to over come a better team , lets not kid ourselves. The key to this game is ball control. If the Pats have stocked the cupboard with all these goodies then slam the door shut! Our defense has to do what is necessary to allow our offense to stay ion the field longer....ball control. They went out and got a Premiere back (Or so called) and its time to use him. If any one thinks penny will do anything other then dink and dunk his way down Field there crazy! I'm alright with it now! if that's what penny and the jets do then so be it! its time to march and that the only way we win this game > if the rushing yard total reads T Jone 56 yards guess what we lost ,If it reads T Jone 130-150 we win! period.

#17 JUNJOBX2199, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007