From Nicholls State LT to Jets starting LG in 9 months.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

If we're stuck with Jacob Bender, we had better get used to it. The guy must be shitting bricks all week. He knows how he performed in the preseason....he really had no shining moments. Now he has to start in 5 days against a top 3 team in the league, and will be face to face with Pro bowlers on every snap.

Talk about being thrown to the wolves! His wikipedia profile gives a brief description of his collegiate success:

During Jacob's college career he been considered one of the most dominant offensive tackles in lower collegiate levels. In 2004 Jacob took over as the starting LT and never looked back, starting every game and becoming an All-Southland Conference selection. In the 2005 season Bender started every game and became an All-Southland Conference first-team and All-Louisiana second-team selection after allowing only 1.5 sacks, 76 pancake blocks, and 8 touchdown resulting blocks. In his final season of 2006, Jacob was once again named to the All-Southland Conference and All-Louisiana teams after recording 87 pancake blocks, 8 touchdown resulting blocks and 0 sacks allowed.

I know that confidence has to exude from any athlete in order for them to achieve success, and it has to be exciting to be a rookie in the NFL and already have a starting position in your very first game even if it is by default, but this guy has to be nervous right now. The 22 year old 6th round pick must be having some trouble sleeping, especially now that he has experienced a touch of the skills difference between the NFL and the All-Southland Conference.

I hope he is good, and that he gets up to speed and becomes a crushing run blocker and helps solidify the left side. As great as it will be to see Chad hand off to our newest weapon (Jones) on Sunday, I'll be watching Left Guard.....alot.

#1 Jtuds, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

You do that. I'll be watching Jones running into the endzone.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Growing pains for the 1st few weeks with Bender. Expect Belly to go after the left side all game, which means the Jets might play a 2 TE set or keep barnes or Tutt in as a run blocker on the left side. Max protection, even with Seymour and Harrison out. I wish Wilfork could miss this one too.

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

What's not mentioned is that Betty Bender, Jacob's mother, wrote the wiki article.

5. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Yeah...Bender is definitely one of our top concerns for 2007. 660AM in NY, with Boomer, this morning was toughing on the LG while talking with Thomas Jones. It was a great day for AM Radio this morning. ESPN Radio has the JETS as part of their 2 a days, and then 660 had a phone call with Thomas Jones, who, aside from not revealing anything via Mangini, sounds healthy and ready to play on Sunday. The team has confidence in Mangini's decision to use Bender and what choice do they have?

I'm pumped to see the offense Shottenheimer has been waiting to unload this season. FUCK THE PRE SEASON AND ANYONE WHO DWELLS ON IT.

6. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Well I guess the one good thing is that he played for a school that runs the ball primarily, and he excelled there even though it was lower calibre ball. But, if he can run block effectively here and Brick can get better at the same, then maye his pass-blocking weaknesses will be less noticeable and Chad will be able to throw the ball. Plus, it's not like Chad ever had all day to throw it last year...

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You mean he didn't just step into the starting RG spot and immediately begin pancaking people? Oh my, what are we going to do?

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I didn't see the last pre-season game against the Eagles, but from what I've read he did very well in pass protection as well as run blocking. Of course it was against someone that got cut but pass protection has a lot to do with good technique and he MUST be learning quickly or he wouldn't have done so well.

If you can physically dominate someone technique isn't as important though and without actually having seen the game I can't comment on whether or not this was the case. Maybe someone who did see it can comment?

9. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

actually he looked terrific against the eagles in week 4. in week 2 he looked pretty good as well

10. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

How long were the Eagles starters in. One encouraging thing to note (or suspect) is that Bender must be bright enough to grasp the playbook pretty quickly. I am pretty sure that Mangini wouldn't put him in if he were struggling with line calls and not knowing his assignments.

11. DaBallhawk

thats not really the point. the only starters he has faced so far were the giants and yes he struggled. that was one game, not the entire preseason. other than that he looked extremely good

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

If he's that bad, how long do you think he'll be in there?

13. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Still waiting for your response in the other thread where you were blatantly called out, i.e. 1 roster spot left on the PS squad...Just in case you missed it.

14. Coach K

Coach K New Member

this is the exact reason Bricks great pass block footwork doesnt mean shit. He gets abused at the point of attack and lacks the strength to engage a blocker and use his massive wingspan to his advantage.

like i said before, his footwork allows him to keep even the most agile rushers in front of him. but thats useless when your constantly being pushed back.

15. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I like this kid a lot. Fact of the matter is we're not the only team with question marks, and I don't think Bender is going to be a detriment. He looks like he could be a very good run blocker with solid instincts. He'll have trouble early on, but he'll get it together.

-X-

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

fair enough, but you do realize I was talking about Bender, right?

17. EarlytoRise

EarlytoRise Member

Hopefully Bender and Dbrick will end up complimenting each others strengths. If Bender is really that great at getting off the ball and Dbrick really has such great technique perhaps theyll be a nice tandem after all. One can hope.

18. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

I don't mean to be adversarial but isn't that exactly the point? The only starters he's played against abused him. Unless the Pats are willing to sit out there front line then he should be all right, right? And if thats not the point, then what is?

19. DaBallhawk

again, here's what he said:
    bender looked great against the eagles. he looked great against the vikings in week 2 as well. in week one he played tackle and in week 3, the first time he faced some starters he struggled. that doesnt mean he looked like shit the entire preseason

if he had said that bender struggled when he played the giants/starters i would totally agree with him. but they have some of the best pass rusher on their d-line. it's not a shame to struggled against those guys. and its not like brick looked any better than bender. i don't think anyone in here thought bender could dominate their starters

20. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Yeah, he looks like a rookie, and as expected, he will look like a rookie for most of this season, if not for all of it. The question is: how much upside does he have? Also, how many times with Chad end up on his ass while they wait for Bender, as well as the rest of this line, to come together/mature/replace personnell with better guys?