Brad Smith at Qb

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i think your dead wrong. i also give him a pass for looking sloppy in the pocket being that the guys working on multiple positions and has never had the oppertunity to let the staff coach him up solely to be one or the other. that means alot especially to a player who was a college qb and askewd to learn 3 positions his rookie year in a complicated offense.

that being said if the staff can actually stop asking him to be mr versatility and let him focus on WR i believe his skillset would develop him into quite the nasty posession reciever.

2. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

I HOPE Brad Smith is our 3rd QB. Tui didn't play bad at all, but if he's starting at some point, the team is F'd.

Odds are, we will never get to the 3rd QB in a game, so we might as well keep the extra spot for a WR or OL. If we do need to use the 3rd QB, expectations will be super low and B. Smith can use the experience.

3. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Clemens did not look good last year either, should we have ended him then too?

4. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I have not seen Smith play QB in the NFL, but I have seen Tui and I can't believe that he instills confidence in anyone as a starting QB (assuming he is forced into action, not that he won the starting job). As such, the #3 will probably never play with Kellen here and if he does play, the season is basically over anyways. As a result why bother keeping a mediocre QB as the third stringer when we could keep a good WR or LB or Linemen instead? Smith might not be able to play the position, but it is not like they are developing him for the future, they are trying to keep the best 53 men available and I can't see Tui on that list.

5. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I just don't see Smith as a NFL WR. He just doesn't have the quickness to scare anybody. I don't like his hands. He seems to catch the ball, by letting it hit his chest first.

I agree with everyone else, he'd better suited as a special teamer. If he wants to play QB, I'd tell him to go either to the CFL or Arena League.

I like Tui. I never thought he got a fair shake with the Raiders. He's got some ability. The Raiders drafted him because he was suited for Jon Gruden's offense and he had the same skill set as Rich Gannon. Get him in a West Coast offense type team (like Gruden's Bucs) where the QB has to be mobile or short passes are required I think he would excel.

6. forge289

forge289 New Member

I agree that in this day and age the NFL is very specialized, and that Smith needs to focus on WR in order to become a legitimate WR.

7. supersonic

what exactly is it that you have seem from Tui in this preseason that has gives you this opinion?

8. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Basically the fact that a) he has had chances to start in the past and has done nothing and b) we have two starting caliber QBs ahead of him. If it gets down to him, having a third QB will not solve all of our problems.

9. Coach K

Coach K New Member

ill put it this way. The Raiders have been in QB HELL and if Tuiassasopo was even worth anything they wouldve kept him instead of rushing to sign mccown.

10. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Keeping Tui turned into a must happen after last nights exhibition. Smith is no Ray Lucas that's for sure.. Tui at least gives you the hope of completing a pass. Let Smith make his rep on Specials and Gadget plays. Unless Mangini wants to tank the team.

11. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

I'd still keep brad as our 3rd. He has yet to really get a consistent shot. hes pretty much thrown in the deep end for a few plays and pulled right out. we all know as a QB you have to get into a rythm. For what he does he's perfect. Mangini will keep him as the 3rd so that they can use the roster spot for an extra DB or an extra Lineman...

12. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i think everybodys killing smith and not realizing how much of a task playing one position and learning it fully is, let alone the QB!

the guy has been learning to play WR, the HB, and the QB as well as his assignments on ST. lets cut him just a bit of slack. Is he a great QB? NO. is he viable as an EMERGENCY option? id say yes. when you get that far down the depth chart at that position youre in trouble to begin with. tui hasnt been good enough with his experience to beat a second year player out for the back up slot, and we are gonna keep him on the roster for what? im sure if it even comes to that hed still be available to sign...

i agree that stuckey will be above smith on the depth chart at wide out, but smith is still learning. and i think thats something were failing to remember. smith may never be a 1 or 2 WR, but hes def a weapon worth keeping because he has atheltic ability.

13. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Well said, Kowie.

14. supersonic

He started 2 games on a horrible Raiders team. Yesterday was the first real action we have seen of him, he was respectable. Actually he was responsible for 10 or our 13 points. He is a very good option as a third and if he gets a little confidence he may not be such a bad 2nd stringer in time.

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

We may have to settle on the extra QB spot. There is no way he is remotely close to being a #3 QB.
    His decision making is lacking in the passing game and he looks clueless in the pocket.

Tui looked like a much better option for the 3 spot

16. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

why the hell do you guys even care if our no. 3 spot is the best qb we can get for that spot, everytime in the past that weve needed to use the no.3 qb all anyone has to say is how the season is over and we have no chance.

take the gamble with smith at no.3, dump the extra baggage, and well just deal with what we got if it comes down to it during the season, cuz guess what thats what wed be doing with whoever is in that spot.