Penny is the starter for now .....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Aug 29, 2007.

1. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Not for long. Learn to accept it.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This post is so stereotypical as to be completely useless in itself. Way to generalize yourself out of a point.

3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

I have the same perverse hope. I haven't seen a single realistic scenario in the preseason playcalling yet. How did we start the preseason, with 3 straight shotgun plays, right? (or was I just late watching the game...matters not)
    Ridiculous to get any clear indication of this team from what u, and the rest of the world has seen thus far. The oline and dlines are the only thing I'm worried about based on the personnel there, on the respective lines. Not Chad. No worries there ever for me. I'm blinded by past success I guess. (Playoff appearences, wins and division title=success. Super Bowl championship = ultimate success)
    I think since it is the Pats we play first(with the obvious tabloid implications of the game, besides in the standings) Mangenius is pulling a Bellislick with the preseason play calls.
    Mangenius loves boxing, right? Just so happens that the saying "pulling punches" comes from the great sport of pugilism. Coincidence? Think again.

The Green Lantern has returned folks, better than ever. Full of sunshine wishes and sickening optimism to darksiders everwhere. No one missed me I'm sure, but I missed each and every one of your half-empty, naysaying posts.
    In brightest day and blackest night...no evil shall escape my site. Let all those who worship evil's might, beware my power...Green Lantern's light.
    Cordially,
    The Green Lantern

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I think you guys are right. We play the Giants relatively early in the season, so why show them anything? The Atlanta game Chad didn't throw a pass, so we're going by 10 passes from the Minnesota game? We play Philly in October so I wouldn't expect Chad to appear with a big bag of tricks Thursday night either.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Glad to see you back GL. It does my black heart good to be bathed in the green light of your lampoon?

6. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

Yes, because LT didn't run well when Drew Brees was having his terrible years. And tiki barber didn't run well with eli manning there who just throws picks all the time. And Larry Johnson didn't run well when trent green was hurt. And Jamal Lewis didn't run well in his 2,000 yard year when kyle boller was the qb. And Willis McGahee didn't run well his first few years when drew bledsoe and who? kelly holcolmb were qbs. And Shaun Alexander didn't run well with an overrated qb in Matt Hasselback. And Chester Taylor didn't run well last year when Brad Johnson was the qb and was later pulled for tarvaris jackson. And willie parker didn't run well with Ben Rothlisberger throwing two picks a game. And Thomas Jones didn't run well with Rex Grossman underperforming against teams like the Arizona Cardinals. And Maurice Jones-Drew didn't run well during the qb carousel in Jacksonville. The relationship between the running game and chad's play has the opposite effect u indicated. The safeties can play back because they know that the running back is probably not gonna get past the D-Line and sure as hell wont get past the linebackers. Coles and Cotchery were double covered deep and pennington didn't want to throw a pick. You dont need a cannon arm to have a successful offense. Lookup Marc Bulger for proof.

EDIT: oh yea and one more example. Curtis Martin wasn't able to run well in his league leading 1700 yard year because pennington couldn't stretch the defense.

7. winstonbiggs

We had a running team in 04 and our O was designed to run not pass. We didn't have a very skilled passing game in 04 so we utilized a TE and FB scheme to power run the ball. It didn't matter that the box was stacked we had the personal to match up. If you remeber our passing game was very mediocre in 04 and we rarely used more than a 2 Wide set. Most of our passes went to the FB that year.

I don't think Shot wants to run a set with 2 TE or a TE and FB a majority of the time. In Shots scheme the QB is going to have to push the safties out.

8. plasticsloth

i dont disagree with that. I disagree with teh thought that chad HURTS our running game. A running game can exist without a stellar passing game. I think that one improves the other, i.e a better running game will breed a better passing game and vice versa. Which is what my argument is. That Chad had a good year last year and would have been better had there been a better running game. Therefore, through what we hope Thomas Jones and an extra year of experience on the O-Line, the running game will be better and chad will also play better and take us to the next level. Again, this is what we hope to happen and any real jet fan hopes will happen. A real jet fan does not root for their team to fail so that a backup quarterback prematurely dubbed "the future" can get games under his belt.

9. winstonbiggs

If you run a three W set and you don't throw down the field you kill the running game. Chad last year rarely threw down field early in games and basically bottled up the running game. If we are going to get the running game off, Chad will have to go down field early in games and get the respect of the defense. That's something he was terrible at last year. I hope he does it if he starts and if he doesn't do it they should replace him.

10. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

No way. That creates a huge QB controversy, and that tends to divide a team and create too much distraction. Chad has done enough to not be pulled after a bad performance. He's earned that.

That is why I totally approved of Herms handling of benching Vinny in favor of Chad in 2002. He gave Vinny a few chances,and when he made the change, it was for good. That, IMO, is the correct way to handle it.

11. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

You need the running game to work to take full advantage of Chad's strength: the play-action passing game. In order for the running game to work you need to be able to stretch the defense a bit, so that means at least the remote possibility you may throw it long successfully once in a while. If the offense calls and completes a couple of 30-40 yard passes in the first half next week v New England, I think Chad and Co. will have success. Otherwise, the second half will get ugly as the offense bangs its head against the wall to no avail.

I don't think that is the situation to bring Clemens into, if the Jets O is struggling. AS much as we may want to see it happen.

If I remember correctly, didn't Chad actually have a decent efficiency rating with long pass attempts last year? What was that all about?

12. plasticsloth

why do u kill the running game taht way? a three wide set spread out the defense and makes the middle more open. What chad did well was exploit those one on one coverages when the safeties played up and let his receivers run downfield. Therefore the defense needs to keep safeties back as a last resort against the YAC which coles and cotchery were so good at. A solid running game in addition to pennington's ability to exploit the holes in the defense will make for a dangerous offense as the safeties would have to cheat up to stop the run but will give up the YAC and those long runs after screens.

13. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

Chad will start. PERIOD.

14. Phyr

Phyr Member

I hate the preseason. It should only last two games. Everyone has to keep in mind that Chad did not have the greatest of preseasons last year. Yet in the first couple of games, he was second best QB in the league next to McNabb. Everyone seems to forget that the Pats are week 1. We aren't going to surprise the Pats with anything if we waste all the magic on the preseason. Right now all we know about Kellen Clemens is that he could be a good NFL QB if we are playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers. Playing against top notch competition is totally another realm. Mangini knows this. We aren't seeing Clemens unless Pennington complete blows it or if it gets to the point where we won't make the playoffs. I am all for seeing Clemens get a starting chance sooner than later but not after we went 10-6 with Chad and a 4-12 team. With a stronger schedule, its all the more reason to stay with the veteran QB.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

By mid-season the safeties already cheat up no matter what kind of formations the Jets are showing because they have gotten enough game film on the team to know what throws Chad can (or in some cases, will) make season-to-season and which ones he cannot (or will not). That's how he hurts the running game.