Penny is the starter for now .....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Aug 29, 2007.

1. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

OoooooH Winston.. You are becoming my fav poster on the gang green.. I will follow up on Monday the 10th with you..:up:

#21 MayoGate, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

It just amazes me that people on this board don't see this. There is no way that Thomas Jones will be able to pound it up the middle of the Pats Defense if Penny does not complete some passes down the field. Pennington's arm shortens the field for every defense we play against.

3. GreenMachine

STOP SPAMMING THE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spam. Spamming will result in an automatic ban with no prior warning.

You were warned by MisterMoss, murrell, and myself.

4. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

Excellent post, worth quoting for truth. The Pats' secondary is incredibly overrated--Asante is a top-5 player at his position, but the other guys are JAGs (other than Harrison, who, despite his intimidation factor, is basically a 5th linebacker and doesn't have much speed or coverage ability).

Our lack of a deep passing capability plays right into the hands of Belichick. When he can play his LB corps and secondary close to the line, their weakness (lack of speed) becomes a non-factor, while their greatest strength (sure tackling) is a huge advantage.

You can say all you want about Pennington "not having the guys around him" to beat the Pats, but I say that with a 1500-yard rusher and a top-5 OL, we STILL don't beat the Pats--Chad's lack of arm strength allows the NE defense to keep the entire game in front of them.

5. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

Disagree. Clemens has a couple of big advantages--namely, a lightning-quick release (unlike Pennington, who has to take a Leftwich-sized windup to deliver a Huard-velocity ball) and enough mobility to escape a pass rush.

I agree that the OL is primarily to blame, there's no denying that Chad needs more time to deliver the ball than other QBs.

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Every football expert knows the secret to winning the Super Bowl is to bench your QB and play the back-up. Works every time.

7. FOURTHANDLONG

Brady taking over for Bledsoe after he got hurt worked out pretty well didn't it? What has Pennington done since last year to prove he should start?

8. Italian Seafood

Bledsoe was injured, not benched, otherwise Brady never sees the field. Nice try, though.

9. FOURTHANDLONG

It's the result that counts. Lol...

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

All I know is...is that if the Jets lose their first two games against the Pats and Ravens...fans and media will be chirping for Kellen Clemens big time. Especially if Chad plays poorly in those games.

It is going to be an interesting season. I am almost 100% sure that Pennington will be just fine and have a great season. Preseason can not be used as an indicator for anything! It is just preseason!

Having said that...I am intrigued by Kellen Clemens. If Pennington misses one week due to injury he could lose his job.

11. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Nothing, because he hasn't actually PLAYED IN A REAL GAME. Sheesh.

12. KSJets

KSJets New Member

You'll have to change your name though :wink:

13. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Good point: Pennington has never really had anyone pushing him. This is real pressure now... he has a bonafied backup that's still up and coming in the system, much like he was 5 years ago.

Ever since then though, this has been his team... but maybe not anymore. Having that in your head is definitely problematic.

He's going to lose a lot of money if he's on the bench the next few years... yeeeeoooowwwww

14. Italian Seafood

He did have to win his job back in an open competition of four guys last year in front of a new coaching staff. Coming off of two surgeries to his throwing shoulder, no less.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yea, but those guys were a rookie, a has been, and the local beer truck driver who by all accounts ahd the strongest arm, but got better benefits by driving the truck.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Last year, after adjusting for Defenses, he was the 9th most valuable QB in the NFL, AFTER 2 Shoulder Surgeries, in a NEW system, and with no RB,
    and no true number one wideout (and his no2 was a rookie).

Number 9.

But we should bench him for a guy that has thrown 1 live action regular season pass. (AN INCOMPLETE I might add....)

17. FOURTHANDLONG

With a Qb that can go downfield I think Cotchery and J we have not seen you in years Mac can be number one wideouts. I told everyone on this board last year cotchery was good when they were whining about Coles being the only Wr.

18. Italian Seafood

One was Clemens, who people here think is the next Namath, one was Bollinger, who people here were pushing to start, one was Ramsey who has started in the NFL. All of them had 100% healthy throwing arms throughout the whole off-season, and Chad beat them all out by the first pre-season game. Of course a Pro Bowl QB isn't going to go to a camp fighting for a job if he's healthy.

The point being, Chad has had people pushing him as recently as last camp, contrary to what was said here. A lot of people at one point thought he'd be released because of his cap number.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I want Chad to do well because in turn that means the Jets are doing well.

Taht said, Bollinger is a never will be. If people were clamoring for him to start, thats scary.

KC was a rookie. Rookie QBs, unless they are a first rounder, rarely start from day one. Starting Kellen last year would have been a sign to the other players to give up because the year is only about the future.

Ramsey was a starter and not a good one. He was the Only real threat to Chad last year. Chad proving that he could throw a ball 10 yards made him the starter by default over PR.

Last year was a good season record wise, but we were in the bottom thiird of the league in total offense and defense, os there is a lot of work to be done.

We are still rebuilding. It will take at least another season. Most of the work that needs done is on the lines on both sides of the ball. At least a little QB controverys keeps the us from talking about the real, much more depressing, problem.

20. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Pennington is the starter, and he should be for at least the first four weeks. If he struggles through the first four weeks, Clemens should take over. That's my take on it.