Jets Will Win 10 games, Chad Will Start 16 and Will Have his best year since 02

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I like Pennington, and what he has done for our Jets. However, I am no longer convinved that he is the best option at QB. I really like what I have seen out of Clemens (yes, I know it's only preseason), and I think he's done enough to at least warrent consideration as the starter should Pennington continue his struggles into the regular season. I'd give him September to get out of this funk, and if he didn't, he'd lose his job for the remainder of the season.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Of course the Jets' record without Chad is going to be lousy, considering the players the Jets had backing him up and the fact that the best of them (the old Vinny T) was horribly suited for the offense designed for Chad. The point is also irrelevant, since I can't imagine anyone is seriously suggesting that Brooks Bollinger, Quincy Carter, and the old Vinny T were topflight NFL QBs.

Chad's record in 2002 is also completely irrelevant, since he was a different QB then. Do I have to remind people that he was compared to Joe Montana that year? Would anyone say anything like that now? He most certainly did have an NFL-caliber arm in 2002, but his arm is no longer what it was then. That's what injuries (especially to a throwing shoulder) will do to a QB. Since he first got injured in 2003 he's a little above a .500 QB (it extrapolates out to about a 9-7 average for a full season). He usually beats the bad-to-mediocre teams (8 or 9 wins or less) and usually loses to the good ones. He is, I believe, 3-12 against teams that ended up with at least 10 wins over that time. In fact, if you do a careful analysis of the wins and losses, you find that Chad's "crossover point" (the place where his estimated probability of winning the game goes from greater than .5 to less than .5) is when the opposition has a winning percentage of .570, or about 9 wins in a 16-game season. All of this points to the same thing - since he first got hurt, the Jets are on average at the level of about a 9-7 team with Chad (and about 5-11 without him).

It seems to me that the only question is whether the rest of the team has held him back from being better than a 9-7 QB, or that he has held the team back from being better than a 9-7 team, and that's obviously a matter of opinion.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Ah be sure to get back to me after the 09 season is over for us when there still is no NYJ CHAMPIONSHIP FLAG flying from the stadium or at our HQs in Florham Park please. Thanks

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You're out of your element, Donny.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thank you ganggreen04 for putting things in perpective. I agree with your post 100%. I find the comparisons to Brady meaningless, and the constant noodle arm stories a dumb assessment of Chad's performance. No one disagrees with the fact that Brady is a great QB and by all accounts superior to Chad. But that does not negate that Chad with the right supporting cast and great coaching (previously missing) can be extremely effective and we can win with him. Let's stop talking about Chad and put more energy in shoring up the offensive and defensive lines. THAT IS THE MISSING LINK. For those who like comarisons here is one: If we can play like Baltimore in both sides of the ball Chad can win the SB hands down. If fact, put Chad with the Ravens now and he will win the SB. Lets be thankful for the many improvements over the last two years and happy for last year winning season that was totally unexpected. Where are all the fans that professed to understand that under Mangini we needed a good five year plan to re tool this team and make it to the SB? We are ahead of our plan by a bunch. Let's be hankful for that.

6. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

i hear you. just for the record, i've never been a penny fan and have gotten bashed heavily for it in the past. i too bought into the hype after his remarkable 2002 season. since then, i have seen him for what he is, a qb thats solid throwing the ball inside of 20 yards. after that, he's duck city and not nfl worthy.

i don't think i'm asking for too much when i say that i want a qb that can utilize the whole damn football field and not just a 15-20 yard radious.. so we'll agree to disagree on the noodle arm...

and i will get back to you this year when kellen has replaced the noodle arm. we know what chad has, now it is time to find out if clemens is the future...

#46 joesmoe39, Aug 28, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  7. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Why keep posting the same thing over and over in different threads? We get it already. The Jets will never ever win a super bowl with <insert latest complaint here>.

Add to the discussion or find a better use for your fingers. Sheesh.

8. championjets69

Ah always nice to her from Herm loving Tony. I always look so forward to ypour posts to me. Since new posters come in every day & who knows what they read going backward a gentle reminder is always worthwhile at least IMHO

9. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Okay Joe. You know I'm going to call you out If Chad drops a laser spiral of Namathian proportions into Coles hands on opening day against the Pats!

10. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Winner winner chicken dinner

11. Italian Seafood

Yeah, because without you around all the new posters would be under the illusion that we win the Super Bowl every year. Thanks for clearing it up.

12. championjets69

Your welcome & if you have you also have issues with my signature bring them forward or forever hold your piece

13. Italian Seafood

Nah, I think it was nice of you to include CT in the metro area though, I'm sure they appreciate it.

Did you renew your Dolphin season tickets again this year?

14. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

You have a better chance of finding Bigfoot than that happening.

15. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

No problem with your signature, it’s the foul smell of defeat in every word you type! I can’t imagine what you would say if we did win a super bowl. I can guarantee that you would down play any success we experience this year and if god forbid we made it to an AFC Championship you probably would say we were going to loose. Once again you have proven to be a major troll!

16. jetbugga

jetbugga Member

maybe another bomb to cotchery would be nice also. chad is the nfl comeback player of the year and its amazing how the roof just falls in a couple of months.

17. Italian Seafood

Had long TDs to Coles and Cotchery in the home opener vs New England last year. Let's hope for that again with a win this time.

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i know your scottish but do you have to drink so much, or at least not while your posting :beer:

19. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Amen to that Bro

20. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Coach you should know me better, I posted that at work........now I'm back home- here is to your good health!?