Vilma trade ideas - merged 3X

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsIn2004, Aug 27, 2007.

1. rillo

rillo New Member

Enough wit this trading Vilma crap...he's not goin anywhere this year. Have some faith pple.

2. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

we wouldn?t have this conversation, if we would still play the 43.

I still belive, that Vilma is the best Footballplayer no this team, with Rhodes slightly behind him. But there?s a good chance, that i agree with you in 2-3 months.

3. MAJORPAYNE

MAJORPAYNE New Member

Was this a mergered file?

4. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

yep, this was the first post of the merged thread:

5. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Is now the time to move Vilma?

The old adage "buy low sell high" should come in to play when we look at the possibility of trading Vilma.Vilma is a classic 4-3 LB ,we all know that. It's the 3-4 scheme that's not working. The man is undersized to take on the OL. I for one was nuts about the guy seeing him play his rookie year. I saw a Probowl plyer on our defense for the next 10 years. After last year and seeing him struggle in the 3-4 and this pre season I've come to the conclusion it's time to move him. Another sub par year will only hurt us in terms of his value. Mangini for better or worse is married to the 3-4. We already have a undersized nose tackle (who should also hit the bricks). I still question installing a defensive scheme despite having the wrong personnel. Vilma is still a marketable player and should bring us a 1 or possibly a big body for the DL.

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I'm with you on the "if we would still play the 43"

It just sucks seeing Vilma's skilled so diminished in this scheme...But at the same time, it is nice seeing Thomas and Hobson do well in the defense...But Vilma is more important than Thomas and Hobson combined...

What can you do? Mangini is not changing his base after going through a season of growing pains to learn it...

7. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

This is now the 3rd thread on this...Read the board bro.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Lets trade the offensive and defensive leaders of our team. That is what you fans have been saying lately. Good call.

9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Tear it all down and rebuild again. Works every time.

10. MAJORPAYNE

MAJORPAYNE New Member

Vilma to the Texans for Andre Johnson?

11. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Can't we throw in Amobi Okoye as well?

12. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

13. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

These threads about trading Vilma is now just getting repetitive so all will be merged here

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In a year teams will be waiting for the Jets to release Vilma at the rate things have gone in the last season and 2 camps. Once you get a player who clearly is not working out his value declines rapidly as teams realize they can get him for just money instead of money and picks or players.

There are probably a half dozen teams that would give up real value for a good 4-3 MLB with star potential. The price the Jets would pay for considering a trade is the circus that would develop around the process. That's a serious consideration, however having Vilma stay in the middle of a defense he is not suited for and decline in value is also a factor.

15. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i'm not against the Jets trading Vilma. i just don't buy the whole undersized reasoning as to why his performance has dropped in the 3-4.

Harris, who's beginning to excel, is about 12 lbs. heavier than Vilma. so is it worth trading Vilma now, or waiting until he gains 12 lbs. and then he's not so undersized anymore?

or maybe it's not that he's undersized, but he isn't grasping the scheme. i really don't know which it is.

16. genom

genom Active Member

Vilma will not get moved this season. I think harris is going to be outstanding, but let's see how he does in the regular season first. Vilma's trade value will be higher going into next years draft anyway. I would think we could yield a high first or a low second for him before next years draft.

17. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Actually...Its' not so much that the 3-4 isn't a good fit for undersized Vilma, it's more that Vilma can't get off his blocks & is exposed because the Jets' have no real NT. That's the real reason. Put a space-eatting NT upfront & we will all be signing the Vilma praises again. Until then, we'll just keep saying Vilma doesn't fit.....but its' actually the fact the D-Rob is ineffective at NT & the DE's are to light in weight.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not problematic. If you send in a 4-3 front 5 or 6 times a game, and let Vilma play Lawrence Taylor, and just go at the QB, he'll get about 10 sacks, and everyone will look past the 3-4 aspect.

19. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

We have a Bingo

:beer:

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Denzel Washington can't even play Lawrence Taylor.