QB controversy brewing? or the media overracting

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rod_2, Aug 26, 2007.

1. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I didn't read the entire thread because I am sure it is just either bashing or praising. Here is my take on the preseason. Chad is a quarterback that thrives from preparation and gameplanning. He is not an improvising QB, period. He is successful when they game plan and open the entire playbook. This is why he stinks in the preseason, but does well in the regular season.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Damon Hurd took a mediocre Chiefs team to the playoffs last year just like Chad took a mediocre team to the playoffs last year. Damon Hurd is a hold the fort QB he is not a decent NFL QB. The way Chad played last year and since his first shoulder surgery that is exactly what he is.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets in 1999 after Vinny went down had only bad QB's on the roster. A decent QB (as Ray Lucas developed into with more intensive coaching than any QB has ever had in 8 weeks) that was able to hit the field game 1 when Vinny went down would probably have taken the Jets to 10 or 11 wins and quite possibly the playoffs.

There's a difference between not having a good QB and only having bad QB's. Chad would have taken that team to 10 or 11 wins and quite possibly the playoffs. Vinny would have taken them to 12 or 13 and quite possibly the super bowl.

In the grand scheme of things - Vinny in 1999 > Chad now > Ray Lucas ever > Rick Mirer in 1999.

I do believe that a decent but not good NFL QB can take a great team to the playoffs and even a super bowl, witness Trent Dilfer in TB in 1999 and Baltimore in 2000. I do not believe that a good but not great QB can ever take a decent team to the super bowl regardless of how effective he is at engineering just enough points to beat the weaker teams they play.

Ray Lucas had a better chance to take the great Jets team of 1999 to the super bowl than Chad has had to take any Jets team since. Chad of course would have had a better chance to take the 1999 Jets to the super bowl than any team since also. Neither of them had the chance that Vinny had though.

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That's your opinion. Did Huard get them to the playoffs three times? Did they score a point when they got there?

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Hurd didn't play in that playoff game. Herm went with Green after Hurd took them to the playoffs. Green who took them to the playoffs twice and once with a home field bye on a 13 and 3 season who was traded after the season.

6. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I'd like to introduce you to Curtis Martin

[​IMG]

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

What about him? We had Curtis in top form in 1999, he was also on our 2003 team. How'd we do?

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

my point is chad pennington is vinny testaverde except penny is a game short of saying he could lead the team as far as vinterception.

also now that the core talent group from both of their best playoff campaigns (99 and 02) is gone its slowly becoming appearant where most of the talent from those teams lied.

probably not behind center.

9. Br4d

I don't write-off Chad getting us to the playoffs three times, I factor in the other relevant facts in evaluating what that meant.

2002 - Chad goes 8-4 after taking over from Vinny and really rescues the season. The Jets make the playoffs because a great team in New England that inexplicably lost itself in 2002 found itself again and scored 11 points in the last 5 minutes to beat Miami and give the Jets the opportunity to win and in. In the playoffs Chad looks great against a weak Colts defense that had allowed more than 25 pts a game for a month and then he looks terrible against a strong Raiders defense that had allowed 14 pts a game for the last month.

2004 - Chad goes 8-5 against a middling schedule and we all have the feeling that something is not right with his shoulder as there's no pop in his arm at all after midseason. Curtis Martin has the greatest season a Jets runningback has ever had and the Jets defense is as good as any Jets defense since the early 80's. The Jets backed in to the playoffs despite losing their last 2 games and then played two uninspired games against the Chargers and Steelers, both better teams and both begging the Jets to knock em off but the Jets did not have it in them. Obviously the injury loomed large here but that's not the point, the point is that at no point in the 2004 season was Chad a dominant QB capable of taking the Jets to the superbowl.

2006 - Chad goes 10-6 against a very weak schedule and his team gets dominated by several good teams and a few not so great teams. Chad looks completely ineffectual against Jacksonville, Cleveland, Chicago and Buffalo. That's a quarter of the schedule against which the Jets had virtually no chance to win because Chad basically had trouble tying his shoes that day. In the playoffs the Patriots toy with the Jets until Chad makes an unrecoverable error and then they run away from them.

I look at the 3 seasons that Chad "took" the Jets to the playoffs and I see 3 seasons where Ray Lucas could have done the same thing with the same breaks.

10. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I don't know why this is even an argument. Pennington can't throw. A QB who can't throw is like a rightfielder who can't hit. Jets bank on, faking one way, and having Pennington dump it off the other way where the guy is wide open and the guy runs for 15 yards. You can't win in the long run doing that.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If any Qb could have done the same thing then explain to me how in 03 and 05, Chad is injured the Jets don't make the playoffs?

12. Coach K

Coach K New Member

03'-isnt that when a qb with a cocaine problem took over?

05-blah blah blah we did go over the numerous OL injuries, eric bartons absence. and when we had the amazing "forget gap containment im going to rush one gap" James Reed at DT next to Robertson.

13. Br4d

Because the Jets had no effective plan B at QB in either season.

Vinny was past it as he had demonstrated in 2002 and Fiedler was an injury-prone QB backing up an injury-prone QB.

Now on top of that throw in the offensive line issues in 2005 and the shoulda-been retired LB's in 2003 and it's pretty obvious why the Jets had no chance either season.

14. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I love how you called the 2004 Charger game an uninspired performance. You do know that Chad had a really good game, and we beat a 12-4 team on the road, right?

And before you say it was only because of a missed field goal, only reason we needed to be in OT in the first place is because Eric Barton decided to hit Drew Brees in the head.