2007 Countdown to NFL Opening Kickoff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

How could you not like Vinny? That 1998 season was a once in a lifetime thing--so far, at least, and my life is getting pretty long.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He was good for one year with the Jets and I think Bill Parcells deserves to get a ton of credit for Testaverde's play that season. After that season, Testaverde only hurt the Jets.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I remember that, as a kid I had a pic of kenny in his #16 on my wall. i have a pic of him in #16 saved in my photobucket but it's down right now so I can't post it.

[​IMG]

Babe Parilli
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I couldn't find Kyle Makey.

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Vito Babe Parilli #15

[​IMG]

Bob Davis #15

[​IMG]

5. Italian Seafood

In 2001 we went 10-6 and made the playoffs with Vinny, 2000 we had a winning year and the MNF miracle. Compared to just about every other Jet QB in history except Namath, I would gladly relive the Vinny experience.

6. nyjunc

In 2000 he hurt us but alot of that had to do w/ the playalling. we had no WRs and we threw it 637 times that year to 418 runs and it allowed vinny and his INts to kill us that year. The following year those #s almost reversed and Vinny wasn't allowed to kill us and we made the postseason. Vinny still guided us to the postseason 2 of 3 years and his '98 season was the best ever by a jets QB. I will always have fond memories of vinny.

Richard Todd
    [​IMG]

Glenn Foley

Neil O'Donnell
    [​IMG]

I couldn't find a Glenn Foley pic w/ him wearing #14.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Well, the 2000 season I can live with, if for no other reason than there was not an option to replace him. He could have and should have been replaced in 2001. His interception to Terrell Buckley in the second half of the 12/2 game was about as horrendous a play as any in Jets history. That play essentially gave the Patriots the division.
    I think Namath's 1967 and 1968 seasons and Ken O'Brien's 1985 season were better than Testaverde's 1998 season.

8. nyjunc

Chad wasn't ready to replace him in 2001 and Vinny played decently that year. he was shattered after the CS destroyed him in 2000 so he bounced back nicely. i do agree about that INT in 2001, I don't think I was ever more pissed walking out of that Stadium after a loss than i was that day. I disagree on namath's '67 and '68 and O'B's '85 nbeing better than vinny in 1998. Joe did win the SB but he had alot of help where Vinny's team let him down in the '98 title game.

Joe:

'67 26 TDs, 28 INTs, led us to 8-5-1 record
    '68 15 TDs, 17 INTs, led us to 11-3 record, SB

O'Brien:

'85 25 Tds 8 INTs, led us to 11-5 record, WC loss at home

Vinny:

'98 29 TDs, 7 INTs, ld us to 12-1 record in reg season, AFC title Game

I know INts were higher in Joe's era but to have more INts than TDs and 28 in one of those years? Vinny has had by far the best season of any Jets QB. 29 TDs, 7 INts, 12-1 reg season mark and he played great against denver but guys couldn't hold onto the football.

9. nyjunc

Don Maynard
    [​IMG]

Dave Jennings
    [​IMG]

10. Italian Seafood

Maynard and Jennings, that about covers it. Jennings changed to #4 when they retired Maynard's number.

Lately my # in my hoops league has been #13. :up: The refs know it now when I foul, they don't even have to ask me anymore. :grin:

11. nyjunc

my # is always 4.:grin: We should get a ganggreen basketball game together.

A little trivia question that I think I've asked before but i'll ask again- why did Jennings choose #4 after having to change from 13?

12. Italian Seafood

I'd say 1 + 3 but that's too obvious.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I say Pennington was ready to play that year. QBs picked in the 1st round in the salary cap era have to play before their third year unless the incumbent QB is phenomenal. Testaverde wasn't anywhere close to phenomenal.
    Testaverde's 2001 numbers were terribly mediocre.
    6.2 average yards per pass (awful number)
    15 TDs/14 INTs (bad ratio in this era)
    75.3 passer rating (not good)

14. Italian Seafood

But you don't just change your QB when you're on your way to 10-6, you just don't do it. Like last year when all these morons wanted Chad pulled, it doesn't normally happen unless you're losing.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

And that's why the Patriots-and not the Jets- hosted the Raiders on a snowy January Saturday night.

16. Italian Seafood

Bledsoe got the shit knocked out of him, that's the only reason New England changed QBs. And the Patriots were 0-2, probably still wouldn't have made the move without the injury.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They'd have made the move in a few games if the trend continued, just as Herm replaced Vinny at the first quarter turn.

A good team does not hesitate to make a change at QB if the team is not performing well because the worst thing you can do in that situation is just keep plugging ahead rudderless into a gathering storm.

There was no point last year after training camp in which it made sense to replace Chad with Kellen Clemens. There is no point this year in which Chad should not be replaced if the Jets want to build a great team. He's not going to be part of a great Jets team ever and every down they give to him is marking time at best and stepping backwards at worst.

The reason I say it made no sense to replace him last year was that Kellen Clemens was clearly not ready to go. That's not the case this season. Clemens may not be a great QB but he's clearly ready to take a shot at QBing in the NFL.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You missed what I was referencing.

The Patriots won the division in LARGE part due to the Edwards/Hackett Special on 12/2 and the Testaverde to Buckley interception in the same game. Testaverde should not have been playing in that game. He should have been benched weeks earlier. I realize some people here are happy with 10-6 and 2nd place. I'm not. Testaverde was a major, major problem in 2001.

In other words, I was not thinking at all about Bledsoe-Brady. My post was all about Edwards' lack of balls. His sticking with Testaverde was the 2001 Jets' downfall.

19. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

20. nyjunc

Obvious yet correct.

Chad wasn't ready to play, he was in his 2nd NFL season on his 2nd system and was hurt most of '00 so he was still battling back from a knee injury suffered against Bal in preeason '00. Vinny was mdiocre but he did a good enough job not killing us.

The pats had no choice, how do we know Chad doens't coe in and turn it over and cost us other games? We lost that '01 Pats game more b/c we got too conservativ every time we got in the red zone. It was 13-0 at the half but at minimum it should have been 17-0 and probably more.

back to the countdown, No need for another #12 to be posted