Bender to start at LG?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Aug 19, 2007.

1. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

nice :wink:

2. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Has that guy been in any movie where he didn't play a jerk? Must be on his casting resume.

3. Quack

Quack New Member

Isn't that guy a pedophile, anyway?

Back on topic, that seems like a good fit for Bender.

4. Villmatic52

Villmatic52 New Member

I really hope that with his size and his reputation as a solid run blocker in college that Bender can move inside and eventually take over as a mauling guard. He also would have the experience of pass blocking against top tier d ends since he shut down adam carriker last year and also did well against jamaal anderson two weeks ago. He probably will not be the immediate choice at the position due to his inexperience, but next year we could be looking at a solid, young left side of the line, and then we can build up the right side.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

For starters I will never claim to be an O-line know it all but...

After rewatching the second half last night, Bender did not look out of place at LG. Then again this was against the Vikes second/third teamers. I'm not suggesting he'll step in right away, but would like to see if he can continue to progress at this position.

6. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

Mess with the bull, you get the horns

7. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

no that was the principal in Ferris Bueller,Ed Rooney
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Aww man, that sucks. He was great in Howard the Duck.

As for Bender...I think we drafted him as a project, as opposed to Brick and Mangold who everyone knew would be starters by the end of the season. He's done well for what was expected and while I wouldn't call him a gem, he definitely appears to have been a good value. Starting in the next two or three years is a plausible scenario. I'd like to see him get some time with the 1's this weekend though.

9. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I'm pretty sure the reason we got Bender was due to the fact that can play both OT and OG spots, and be another versital backup like Jones. The fact that he's showing enough to possibly start says alot about small school kids getting overlooked in the draft. Kendall can kiss my ass to be honest. We have enough young guys to plug in at OG.

My real concern is OT. Brick looks no heavier than he did at the end of last season. He still looks like a TE, and got shoved around alot more than a 4th overall pick in his second year ever should. I'm not saying he's Robert Gallary level bust potential, but my concern is real. Clement on the other side is just OK. If Brick would play up to his potential, and we had a better option than Clement at RT, we wouldn't even be having a conversation about Kendall.

10. brothermoose

So what exactly does OT have to do with OG? Even Orlando Pace can't be expected to take on an edge rusher and pick up a linebacker at the same time.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

If you have OT's that dominate their respective DE's and your OC is holding his own against the NT, your OG's only have to protect their gap and double a DL if no LB is coming on passing plays, and more importantly, get to the second level and block a LB on running plays.

When your OT's are getting beat, the OG is forced to double the DE's, leaving blitzing/running lanes unprotected. If they don't double the DE, the DE either sacks the QB or stops the running game at the LOS or worse. We've been seeing a whole lot of the latter.

Remember, we plugged in a converted DT at RG when McKenzie was still here playing RT, and we had almost zero problems on the right side. That's pretty much my point in a nutshell.

12. brothermoose

So you're saying that with great OTs, any old mook will do at OG?

13. forge289

forge289 New Member

I was a pretty solid LG last season (my senior season of high school), and I'll tell ya, it's not always an easy position. First of all, getting to LBs to block is not an easy task. They're quicker than you a lot of the time, and unlike the linemen who start out in a mess of big bodies, they're standing all by themselves, so taking an angle to cut off a LB is not an easy thing to do. On passing plays, the guard has to read as to whether or not a linebacker is blitzing his gap, which isn't always easy either. Remember, any one of the LB's could be blitzing that gap from any given time. You could have the OLB from the opposite side blitzing your gap, you have to make that read. The LB's could also be using delayed blitzes, and you have to make that read too. Remembering all that (because the blitzing LB is obviously your biggest responsibility and most direct threat) you have to read a lack of a blitz as well, and be able to move to the DE or NT if nobody's coming. It's a lot to think about, and the only way to get it down is to keep doing it over and over and get all the different possible looks that a D may give. It was hard to pick up a the high school level, i can't even imagine how difficult it must be at the pro level where the game moves 1000x faster. Playing OG and OT there are completely different things to think about, and although some of the same skills are required, it's not always an easy switch to make by any means.

14. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Nicely done. I think many underestimate how mentally--and physically--challenging OL position are, esp. OG.

15. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

bender is a better guard than center, and thats from what i have seen, none on the roster are better than kendall, but he is going to be gone so we have to see what bender and clarke can do in a real game situation before we judge.

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

dont forget he was also the devil in Stay Tuned. a John Ritter gem.

17. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Not any old mook, but a decent mook, yes.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I saw that guy in a bar in Hawaii in 2004. He was wasted.

19. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I'm all for him starting now, lets see what the kid can do.

20. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Darned good post, and right on the button. Bender came from a triple option offense in college, playing LT. He never had to pass block, but as a run blocker, he is already very good even at the NFL level. Problem is, he's on Pennington's blind side, and he has much to learn before he can pass protect adequately. If Bender starts at LG, they better have Chad rolling to the right, or he'll get killed until (and if) Bender improves as a pass protector.