Bender to start at LG?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Aug 19, 2007.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

August 19, 2007
    Another twist in Kendall soap opera

There's another twist in the Pete Kendall/left guard soap opera. There are rumblings coming out of Weeb Ewbank Hall this morning that Adrien Clarke, who has been working with the first team since the spring, has been demoted to second team. Clarke, as we reported yesterday, didn't play well Friday night against the Vikings.

We hear that rookie Jacob Bender has been promoted and will split the first-team reps with Kendall. We also hear that Kendall, despite his disastrous performance, will remain the backup center. Does that make any sense? The man, by his own admission, isn't a good center. Plus, he doesn't like to play it, but Eric Mangini is keeping him there.

Bender was drafted as a tackle, but it's clear he doesn't have the athleticism to play there. Now, in a move that reeks of desperation, they're going to try him at guard. Hello? When will they realize that Kendall is their best left guard?

Stay tuned.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

good news. the kid looked great against the vikings

2. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Hopefully Bender can step up here for us. Although I still like Revis and Harris, not going for Blalock, Grubbs, or another guard in the first few rounds is going to look mighty stupid.

3. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

this is benders big opportunity...hopefully he jumps all over it
    i know its been talked about b4, but any chance the 49ers are our patch job again this year with justin smiley possibly losing the starting job in SF?
    the kendall situation needs to end

4. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

well...combined with the fact that they didnt shop in FA for one
    which would have been the easier fix

5. Ten

Ten Active Member

Looked poor against the falcons.He might work out as a guard though seeing as won't have to defend an edge.

6. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I've thought all along that Bender would be a guard. Has good size for it, I didn't think he would start this year but I like the idea.

7. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

My prediction? We use McCareins to get a guard. I know he's playing well and will be tough to give up, but he can be good bait right now for a guard.

8. JIMsection323

JIMsection323 New Member

when will the front office just accept the fact that we need kendall and we need to make him happy. pay him the damn money!. im glad that clarke was pushed down the depth chart. maybe mangini is starting to understand why kendall wants more money.

9. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

In my opinion we just need to cough up and put Kendall back at LG, lets get him happy and playing where he is good. The inexperience of the O-line needs his leadership. I like Bender and he will be a much better Guard than a Tackle but i still think we need to just get Kendall practising the majority of the snaps with the first team.

10. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

The price for FA guards was retarded this year, I don't blame them for not wanting to pay top dollar for average guards.

11. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

the jet's were shopping mac around before, during and after the draft and there were no takers. not likely going to happen now.

when all is said and done and the first game starts, i'll be shocked if kendall isn't the starting left guard. there just aren't any better options for mangini, and i'll bet right now he knows this. just getting other players some time at the position in case of an injury. it is apparent kendall isn't going anywhere after all. whether he likes it or not, he's jet's property, under contract!!!!!

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

There were no takers because everyone in the NFL were 100% convinced we were going to release him - so why trade for him. Now that he's been getting such great publicity over his training camp it is a possiblity we could trade him away and maybe even get a 3rd round pick for him. Also, the fact that the team LOVES Brad Smith, it actually makes it more likely that they could trade McCaerins.

13. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

I haven't watched Bender at LG much, but keep Clarke outta that spot. I think he's better off working out at the RG spot.

14. hazmat

hazmat New Member

There were no takers because players like Eric Moulds were free agents and you didn't have to give up anything to sign them. Why would anyone give up draft picks for J-mac when they can sign someone like moulds instead?

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm starting to see that Mangini is just going to keep Kendall there all camp, and preseason, and release him or trade him right before the season starts just because he had to be a bitch this offseason about his contract. A good player, but it was known that he even made waves in Arizona about stuff like this. You understand that the man wants to make more money, but if you aren't going to be thorough about it and hold out and really demand money, then give it up.

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

We won't release him right before camp starts. I don't think Mangini is that type of person, and it's never good to burn bridges like that in the NFL.

17. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

just give Kendell an extra $1.0M and admit it was a mistake.

That's what Tanny should do unless they know of another starting G that is about to be cut and feel they can sign him. Clarke is a backup at best.

18. MAJORPAYNE

MAJORPAYNE New Member

Clarke > Moore

19. Ten

Ten Active Member

Just finished watching the game and Bender did look pretty good at left guard.He got past the d-line and into the second level a lot and puts his hat on someone.But his pass protection slipped a bit late on,getting beat a few times including the last play where Tui was sacked.To be fair though,Tui held onto the ball too long.The plays he struggled on were plays with deep drops form the quarterbacks,which requires the o-line to spread out leaving him with a bigger edge to defend.

He looked better at guard than right tackle.I think their is a possibility that he could take over form Kendall in 2008.

20. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

[​IMG]
    i got your ass for 2 weeks Bender