Brad Smith Is Our Vince Young

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Aug 20, 2007.

1. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

and minus the BCS championship trophy...He still throws a better pass than Penny thats for sure....as evident in that one play...:)

2. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

3. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

4. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Funny stuff...knew I would be killed on this post.

I'm not advocating Smith over Pennington right now, obviously, he doesn't have the experience and isn't getting the reps, but I think I will be proven right at some point. We'll see.

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Playmaking skills, I can see that somewhat comparable to that of Vince Young's skills. However, I don't know about starting QB for Brad Smith in the NFL, unless he strictly begins to only work behind the center, and nothing else.

I personally like him in a role that he was in last year. It won't hurt to have him be QB for a bit in a game, but I just don't see the team making him the starting QB for the future.

6. GreenMachine

Actually, Brad Smith is more valuable then Young. He can play WR, QB, ST, KR, PR, RB, and I am sure he can hunt wild boar.

7. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Hey dude, I'm probably not the first one to mention this to you, but you spelled Sauer wrong.

:shit:

8. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Obviously, when you talk about the QB of the future, the Jets drafted Clemens for that role. Still, Mangini is not afraid of changing his mind when a player makes him change his mind.

Last year, Smith was not a QB, and they took great pains to explain to the kid that he would not be a QB when they drafted him.

This year, he's a QB.

There's a traditional bias against these slash/QBs because of the failure of guys like Kordell Stewart.

But I agree, you can't even contemplate Smith as a starter until the Jets elevate him to #2 and he's getting regular reps.

9. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a league that rewards athletic talents. And those athletic (scrambling) type QB's have rewarded their teams with soooo many titles. In fact, the next team to win a championship with a scarmbling QB will be the first.

Peyton Manning, Big Ben, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, John Elway (not a scrambler late in his career), Troy Aikman....such great athletic QB's......

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Smith is a big project at QB but you have to like the fact that he actually went from a guy with his head down ready to run to having his head up and scanning the field last week. He is clearly one of the brighter guys on the team and has a great feel for the game, he has good size and can probably throw down field while being banged around which against good defenses is a must.

The coaches clearly think he is worth working with. I wouldn't write this kid off as being a quality NFL QB down the road as long as the coaching staff is willing to maintain it's commitment to working with him at QB.

11. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

At first, I thought Mangini let him play QB as a reward for being such a good sport about all the crap they made him do last year. But, after actually seeing him play, I agree with you.

While it's obviously not good practice to predict a 3rd/4th stringer as a future "consistent starter" based off one preseason game, he did show some that he's worth the chance. It's already clear he has the athletic goods, and the way he settled his feet and made the perfect throw right in the face of 2 defenders about to pounce him has made me at least hopeful. It at least suggests he has some steady nerves and maturity. I think most other "running" QBs would've had their eyes on the d-lineman instead of the WRs, and woulda tried scrambling out of trouble.

12. Quack

Quack New Member

Lorenzen is 1.25x the QB Eli is or ever will be.

285 \ 225 . . .
    Okay he just weighs that much. He's still better than Eli.

13. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Smart move. The closest to a running QB winning a Super Bowl was Steve Young 12 years ago and even he wasn't the type of QB a Vince Young is or Brad Smith would be. McNabb is the only other to even make a Super Bowl in the last decade and he's toned down the running to a bare minimum.

If Brad Smith was a legit NFL caliber quarterback don't you think he would've been drafted higher than the 4th round as a QB? He has a chance to be a very good wide receiver and an excellent gadget type player who should touch the ball often. But lets put to rest the idea of him being a starting caliber QB, let alone a championship one.

14. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

I refuse to anoint Smith as our future QB until someone tells me his rating on Madden '08!!

15. winstonbiggs

I think Fran Tarkenton may have gotten to a SB or three and Staubach won a couple.

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

83 throwing power, 75 accuracy.

17. CP to LC =TD

CP to LC =TD New Member

I think Brad can complete 51% of his passes and throw more INTs than TDs, while getting credit for wins he did nothing in. Maybe he can be our Vince Young!!!!!!!!!

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

:rofl: good point

19. winstonbiggs

He had more TD's 12 passing 7 rushing and less INT's 13 than Pennington last year, his ROOKIE YEAR.

20. GreenMachine

Less INTs in less games...