Chad's Job Security This Year and Beyond.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe W. Namath, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

As we all know, Kellen Clemens is coming on strong. I was wondering what everyone thinks about Chad's future here in New York. I was trying to think of some scenarios where Chad stays here next year and when he leaves.

For example, if he has another 17td 16 int season, he is probably going to be replaced with Clemens.

If he has a 25td, 11int season, he probably stays around for another year.

So the question is, do you think Chad's numbers this year will reflect on if he stays or goes? and if he does stay, what do his numbers have to look like?

Like I said, if he throws 25td and 11int, I think he stays.

2. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

Yes, his numbers will certainly reflect upon whether he stays or goes. But the most important number will undoubtedly be the wins vs. loss numbers.

If he has an average season, and we are an average team .500 +/- 1, I wouldn't be surprised to see Clemens in. If he has a great season, and we do great, then obviously he stays. If he has a great season and we are average or lower, then I still think he's gone.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Win 10 games, go to the playoffs, or win the division, and there is no whiff of QB controversy next year.

And pretty much Chads entire career when healthy, has the Jets sniffing playoffs.

So, in order to not have Job security next off season, he would have to ahve the worst Healtthy year of his career.

You have to remember, Clemens is on a rookie deal. If the CS knows he can play, and he continues to play well, its in their interest to keep him off the field until they get him a new deal for low $$$$$$.

4. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

ok, Chad finishes up with 21 tds, 14 int.
    We finish second in the division, win a home WC playoff game and lose to the Pats in NE in the second round.

Is Chad around next year?

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I really don't believe Chad will finish this season as the starter, in fact I'll be very surprised if he does. We should be able to get good value for him in trade from TB (hackett) or KC.

6. rillo

rillo New Member

As much as i support chad i feel the same way.....all these reports about how bad he looks in camp and how he looked on last friday.....give me a uneasy feeling about this season....ahhh the joy's of being a JETS fan.....

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I fully expect Chad to be the starting QB here for at least the next 3 Seasons.

I really do think we have not yet seen his best season.

Depending on what happens with Jones and the OLine is going to be the biggest factor , Chad can be effective throwing downfield off of Play action if we have a running threat.

With no running game its going to be the dink and donk that everyone complains about. However those who complain fail to acknowledge that this is basically done because we cant run so it is in effect our only way of ball control.

8. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

If Chad wins Ten games and takes us to the playoffs like he did last season and we go out in the first round he should still be gone. He will have proven that he is not capable of getting the team to the next level. Anything less than a deep playoff appearance and he should go. He has the talent around him with the coaching staff to match. This year is put up or shut up. No excuses no second chances!

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I beleive the Jets are rebuilding. Chad is due a nice roster bonus next year if the Jets keep him. If Clemens turns out to be the real deal you cut Chad and use the money to build both lines. That's the fast track to rebuild the team unless Chad proves that he is an elite QB in which case you can't unload him.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm sure of only one thing at this point... Clemens is beginning to nip at Chad's heels. This is a good thing. If Chad goes down, we need someone who can at least keep us from major disintegration.

I don't think our record will determine or have anything to do with whether or not Chad has to be concerned about keeping the starting job. Each year brings a new season, a new TC, and a new look at who the starter is (at least that's how I see Mangini looking at things). Clemens wasn't coming on last year as well as he's been doing this year at TC, which prompted Mangini to declare Chad the starter in February. That's no longer the case and things have changed now. If Clemens continues to impress and especially if he has some very commanding and convincing drives in the next two games, all bets are off the table.

The whole thing is fluid, of course. What we think today might be totally irrelevent 5 weeks from now. But then again, that's what preseason posts are for.

11. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

We do!? I'm not sold.

12. Section 336

What Talent are you Talking about , Our O line is Subpar, Our D Line is Subpar, We have no Tight End , are Weak at Linebacker and although we have some potential in the secondary as a unit are young and inexperienced. We have a 2nd Year HC and O Coordinator who still have alot of growing to do.
    I dont think John Elway , Brett Favre , Joe Montana , Terry Bradshaw or Joe Namath in their primes could take this squad DEEP into the Playoffs - but if Chad doesnt it will be all his fault , just plain rubbish..

13. WhiteShoeWillis

hogwash. I never saw bradshaw or namath but Elway, Favre or Montana most certainly could take this team deep into the playoffs or the superbowl IMO.

14. FOURTHANDLONG

We do have a tight end. Our Qb has just not managed to find him in the last few years. According to the majority on the board we have a powerhouse team that is poised to go to the next level because Chad the great took us to a first round playoff berth based on the fact that we played four games against teams over 500 and the stars aligned perfectly. Now if you really believe what you just wrote because I do with the exception of the tight end part then Chad should hit the bench now so the Qb of the future will be ready when the rest of the team is ready to compete. I know we are still rebuilding but the Chad supporters will come back to me with emails telling me he can take this team to the next level in an Afc that has the Colts, Chargers, Patriots, Ravens and Bengals in it. If you believe everything you just wrote is true then why should Chad start at all?

15. Section 336

Sorry but even Peyton Manning needed his defense to finally step up to make any noise in the Playoffs.

The Bears made it to the Big one with Rex Grossman, the Giants with Hostetler and Kerry Collins , Ravens with Trent Dilfer.

Defense is way more important than QB to get far in January.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

Montana, Elway and Favre in their prime were very special QB's that could carry a team on their backs. I generally don't disagree with what you're saying but those guys were amazing.

17. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

I am more of a fan of Chad being replaced than Chad – but it’s just dumb to speculate now. I can remember Chad looking shitty in pre-season in years past…pre-season is bullshit in the first place.

I’d say that an evaluation will be made after around six games; we could very well get off to a rough start based on a pretty tough (on paper) schedule…if we’re out of contention it could be something to look at. If we’re 5 – 1 after six, it’s not even a remote consideration.

The Job is Chad’s to lose – and that’s not going to happen in pre-season.

18. Section 336

Because we dont have to win the Superbowl to have a Successful Season - 11 of 12 playoff teams end with a loss. Because more often than not successful NFL QBs have spent 2 -3 seasons on the bench before becoming starters and more often than not the ones rushed into starting roles never reach thre "potential". Because I dont think Clemens is ready to take over and I dont even think he will be a successful Starter in the NFL ( This is my Personal Opinion , I have seen him play live for Oregon).

I am a Chad supporter but I really did want us to go for Leinart last Year. I do believe what I wrote. For me if this team goes 10-6 and makes the playoffs it has fulfilled its potential and is a successful season , I am not accepting mediocrity but I do like watching games in November and December that actually mean something.

Bottom Line is this Team , this Year would loose more games with Clemens in than Chad.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

We have nothing on Defense that resembles what the Ravens or Bears had. Do you realize that we play in an Afc with where Mediocre Qb play will not get it done anymore? Last year Peyton Manning sent his defense down off the field on 4th down and willed the Colts to the S/B! Tom Brady was a half away from making it to the Sb with Wr's off the street! At some point Chad will have to lead a drive to win a game in Jan.

20. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Im an big Chad fan but i cant see him being here for to many years to come. Clemens is hot on his heels and with all this controversy regarding the QB situation becoming a yearly debate, being it was in question last year, there are people asking for Clemens this year and the same will happen offseason if we keep him.

He will have to have a above average year to be secure for next season.