Kendall: Looks like he will be here- Hutchinson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetcane, Aug 16, 2007.

1. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I don't see Kendall playing half ass and letting Pennington get hurt no matter what his contract situation is. First, If he goes out there with that attitude there is a good chance he will get hurt. Unless you are giving your best in the NFL you are going to get pushed around. Second, I don't think Pete Kendall is a bad guy. He won't let people by him and watch his QB get drilled. As unhappy as he is he has also been a lineman for a long time. When he sets foot on the field on gameday the only goal on his mind will be to protect his QB. After doing the same thing for so many years it will be instinctive and I don't think he could just let defenders just run by him

2. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Kendall has no leverage.
    1) He's only one year into his extension.
    2)At 34, he can't threaten to hold out over $1mil, because he'd give up $1.7mil he'd never see again. This isn't Larry Johnson who is enterring his prime and making way below market value, and would be royally screwed if he gets hurt. This is a guy that is in the final couple of years of his career.

Tangini will let him cry all he wants, but they won't release him or give a penny more. It's $1.7mil or nothing for little Petey.

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Mike Tannenbaum needs to be given extraordinary credit for this situation and for the Revis deal. These are both two situations in which he didn't cave and basically let it be known to agents everywhere that he's not a whipping boy and the Jets won't be pushed around.

With all the whining Kendall could bring to bear, we haven't folded. And after telling Revis' agent, Schwartz, that we wanted a 6-year deal, that's what we got.

Kudos to Tannenbaum for having the guts to put the best interests of the Jets organization ahead of the temptation to get the critics off his back. It's important that the rest of the NFL know that we say what we mean and mean what we say, and that we won't cave or waffle even under immense pressure.

4. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

@Section 227

I couldn't have said it better myself.

5. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

exactly my thinking.

they wont get nothing if released, so they keep him as a backup and if a team needs him they trade for him.. its a win win.

6. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

well said.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware of all those details. Thanks for the info and looking it over, he has no room to complain.

8. Section 227. Row 5

I was pretty much aware of the numbers, which is why I've been against giving him a dime more from Day One. But seeing it spelled out in all its glory this way is awesome. Anyone siding with Kendall at this point just doesn't get it.

Play, bitch. And I want to see you smile as you play.

9. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

You got me to thinking. Did we still pay Revis his "slot" money or did we over pay to keep him for 6 years?

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Wow, Great info. Seeing it like this makes me even more happy that the Jets front office held thier gound.

I really expect to see Pete in a Jets uni on week 1 at this point.

11. baamf

baamf Active Member

Kendall is clearly no pauper, and I don't agree with him, but I don't believe your facts are correct. My understanding was his original deal with the Jets was for 5 years, 20 million, with only 6 million guaranteed. When we restructured him we still owed him the 1.9 million to reach the 6 million guarantee. He did not receive the entire 20 million from the first contract, just the guaranteed 6...

#31 baamf, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  12. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Hobbes and 227 - great posts! I concur...

Kendall is being a jerk, and the Jets are not going to let him get away with it. Kendall also knows he's got to play to get paid, and he has to play his best with his career on the line.

I applaud Tan-Gini for holding firm once again, and not letting one guy rule the roost. This is a TEAM game and they want team guys. As much as he's being a little bitch, Kendall will be a team guy when the season starts.

13. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Once training camp and all this is over and the season starts, if Kendall is indeed still here, I imagine this will work itself out. Once its clear that hes going to be on the team, and he has the choice of either getting involved, having a positive attitude, being a starter, and being a part of this teams success, or continuing to mope and keeping himself on the bench, I think the only logical thing is to cut your losses and become a part of the team.

That only holds up if the team is playing well though. This situation will get a lot uglier if and when it starts to look like the Jets won't make the playoffs. Personally Im hoping he just puts it behind him and plays football, because Kendall is arguably this teams best lineman right now.

14. Section 227. Row 5

I agree. And just yesterday one of the coaches (O-line coach?) praised him for giving 100% in practice despite the situation.

But even if he wanted to intentionally slack off, he wouldn't get away with it. The rest of the guys on the O-line would spot it and wouldn't put up with it and there'd be hell to pay in the locker room. Nobody wants to see Penny go down again.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

You are correct. I couldnt find the Salary originally, but your post made me go back and look at the cap charges.

660,000 in 04
    2.6 05
    5.2 06

Which puts Kendall in a substantially better light.

Thanx for the info!

16. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

wish i had $300,000....:sad:

17. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

$8.46m plus $1.7m this year averages to more than $2.5m per during his time as a Jet. That's not short changing anyone.

18. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

Throw in a pair of Jets Crocs and you got a deal

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Does that mean it WAS or WASN'T "right in the article"

20. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

OH HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!