Kendall: Looks like he will be here- Hutchinson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetcane, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Jets have no intention of dumping Kendall

Thursday, August 16, 2007 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Despite his best efforts to force his way out of town, the Jets plan on keeping disgruntled left guard Pete Kendall -- at his current base salary of $1.7 million, according to a team official.

Kendall, who wants a $1 million raise as he enters his 12th NFL season, has demanded to be traded or released. He is in the second year of a four-year deal that paid him $5.2 million last year in salary and bonuses, including $1.9 million owed him from his original contract with the Jets. Kendall has expressed his unhappiness at daily post-practice news conferences and leveled some stinging criticism at the organization.

His strategy, however, hasn't worked, and he appears to be going nowhere. Kendall is playing behind third-year pro Adrien Clarke and has been taking reps at center this week, though his poor play there in 2005 led to him taking a paycut. He'll likely play guard and center in tomorrow night's preseason game against the Vikings at Giants Stadium.

"He's going to be here," said the team official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak to the media. "He's a good player. I don't see why we would give him away to somebody else."

The Jets are pleased with Clarke. But if they were to get rid of Kendall, their third guard behind starters Brandon Moore and Clarke would be rookie free agent Dominic Moran.

"I'm really surprised to hear that," Kendall said after practice yesterday. "I'm very surprised, if your sources are correct, that they've made that decision."

Kendall was asked his thoughts on remaining with the club.

"Either the (contract) number will change or the situation (a return to the starting lineup), will change. I don't see them paying that kind of money ($1.7 million) for a backup.
    "I've tried to separate as best I can the business from the emotions of it. I don't know what to say because I never considered that (remaining with the club) a strong possibility."

For all his heated rhetoric, Kendall has remained a professional. He played well in last Friday's preseason game and hasn't been a disruptive force on the team.

"Pete has been very good," said offensive line coach Tony Wise, who along with other assistant coaches was allowed to speak to the media yesterday for the first time. "He's sharp as heck. He knows theory and offensive line play. He's been fine, he really has. ... It (his unhappiness with his contract) really hasn't been an issue. It really hasn't."

Said Kendall: "I don't know that I've accepted the situation. Really, nothing has changed. Every day that goes by still leaves me with the same questions I had when we started."

-------------------------------

I think this is a good read on the situation. With Kendall, Clark, Moore, Moran and Bender playing at OG, the OL looks deeper than it did last year. Plus, Kendall has seemingly become the backup center, and Smith has been playing guard, too.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

What was the raise Kendall got last year over what he would have made if they hadn't renegotiated his contract?

3. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I'm glad to hear this, why can't Tanna build in a sweetner for Kendall and then everyone is happy. I think he's been a good pro and with injuries etc sure to happen it would be folly to have someone with Kendall's experience not on board.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

$300,000 bonus I think. Certainly much less then he gave up. Which is why he is asking for 1 million now. To get him back to where he was now that the Jets have the money.

#4 Don, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

It says it right in the article.

He was due 1.9. I doubt that could have been two years salary, but this whining aobut taking a pay cut?????

He got 5.2 last year which is 3.3 + his remaining contract.

Which is pretty much what the board has been saying, so why does it take till today for the news to write it up that way.

scummy little trolls trying to sell papers.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I thought he got 3.3 last year. The original 3 million plus the extra 300,000 bonus.

7. Hobbes3259

They gave him the 1.9 from his original deal. Then they gave him 3.3 more.

Last year. 5.2 mil. Now he's crying that he's underpaid ? So was he overpaid last year ?

8. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Good... he signed the deal, he'll have to own up to it... his signature is on the contract. What does he want, 5 million a year every year of his contract? He isn't Hutchinson.

9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Sounds to me that the "anyonymous team official" might be a little more than just that- "we aren't going to just give him away."

Needy team, right trade, right price = he walks.

10. Hobbes3259

Starting Left Guard 1.7 mil.

He stays.

Especially since they gave him over 5 mil last year.

In all probability, unless someone is trading us a capable late first, or second round pick with two years left on their deal, Kendall will be here for two more seasons.

Next season is where they will be really getting even with him for this years shenanigans.

11. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I think we should have traded him off first thing he started disrupting the team. The situation we've put ourselves into is shit. It's hard to trade him, impossible to replace, and if we keep him, he's a disturbance.

12. rillo

rillo New Member

Good....hopefully he doesn't half-ass it and get Penny killed all because he's 'unhappy'

13. Hobbes3259

He's 34.

If that happens his career is over.

14. rillo

rillo New Member

Screw his career...i don't my fragile starting QB 2 get hurt and ruin the season...yaknow

15. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

Clarke better not be starting over Kendall once the games matter.

It's not worth risking injuries to play with a guy's head.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Come on guys. Listen to Koz.

Think about it this way: as long as Tangini have been in charge, the media gets ZILCH in the way of information.

Over the past week, at least 3 "incidents" of "information leak" have occurred. Coinkydink? I don't think so.

Kendall had zero trade value for us when he was viewed as eventually being cut in a couple weeks. Teams could just lay back and wait for the cut and grab him. Now, the Jets are "unofficially" saying that he's off the market.

When the right offer comes over the wire to Tannenbaum, Pete Kendall will be packing his bags.

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

At this point, his hands are tied, he is under contract and should honor it. He really has no choice other than walking out and getting fined. Or playing like crap and getting someone hurt. Which is why they are probably hoping to put him on the second team offense.

18. green machine

green machine New Member

I don't really see this as any new info (not that it was presented as such). I see it as the front office and coaching staff putting a positive spin on the situation, possibly to keep his trade value high.

19. Hobbes3259

Here's what a little research reveals about Kendall.

in 2001, he got a UFA Deal from Arizona.

2001 5 years, $18 million, $5 million SB.

He got cut with 4.75 remaining, so he pocketed 13.25, over 3 years.

In 2004, we signed him to a 20 mil, 6 guaranteed, no SB deal.

in 2006, he had 1.9 remaining, which we ROLLED into the extension he signed, so he pocketed the 6 mil, plus 3.3 more for last year which was a signing bonus.

(Remember he sustained an injury, so he missed games. but then we extended him four more years.)

Over the last 5 years, he's made 22 million dollars. And now he's crying over making 1.7 after HE signed the extension.

He will be here for at least two more years.

#19 Hobbes3259, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  20. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

They should give him an official Jets keychain and call it even :)