Peter King > MONDAY MORNING QB - " Jet fuel " ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Aug 14, 2007.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Jet fuel
    Controversy in New York; Vick, Samuel, NFL notes
    Posted: Tuesday August 14, 2007 1:13PM; Updated: Tuesday August 14, 2007 3:27PM

Jets running back Thomas Jones injured his calf in practice, but should be ready by Week 1.

I saw the Jets on Monday in Hempstead, N.Y. A few thoughts:

? I wouldn't be too worried about Thomas Jones and his strained calf muscle, even though he looked like Walter Brennan gimping around the practice field. You know why? First, he's always been a tough guy who plays through injuries. And second, anything that gets Leon Washington on the field more is a very good thing. He's a poor man's Reggie Bush. Don't laugh. Just watch this guy the next couple of years.

? The continuing furor around Pete Kendall and his contract is madness. The guy is a good player -- a valuable guard the Jets need to max out their offensive plans this year. He signed a four-year contract before the 2006 season and, after one year, said he wanted to renegotiate the deal. The Jets are refusing to do so. Silly. Who renegotiates after one year of a four-year contract ?
    After practice on Monday, Kendall appeared to speak to the media, and you'd have thought Joe Namath had walked back into camp. He was mobbed. Writing the story of a guard who is unhappy with his contract might be a one-day story. Might be. It's not a soap opera.

? Kellen Clemens knows what's he doing. At some point, if Chad Pennington slips up, Eric Mangini is going to be very tempted to give the second-rounder from Oregon a chance.

? Fantasy late-round alert: I might take Brad Smith if I were you. He's a receiver, quarterback, running back and all-around interesting candidate for a flex spot one of these weeks. I can tell you the coaches are going to get the ball in his hands.

? D'Brickashaw Ferguson looks a tad more bulked-up than the remarkably skinny kid who played left tackle for the Jets last fall.

? Jerricho Cotchery: Impressive kid, both in work ethic and performance. Pennington is building a strong bond with the kid, and my guess is he'll catch more balls for more yards than Laveranues Coles this year. Nice 1-2 punch at wideout.

> http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/14/mmqbte/index.html

2. MondayNightMiracles

nice read....thanks
    good to know someone sees how ridiculous Kendall's soap opera is.

and i think pennington would have to suck horribly for 4 weeks straight before mangini would bench him. Penningtons earned his faith.....

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this.

As painful as King can be to read, I have no qualms with anything in this article.

Its a Strange feeling though, agreeing with Him. I hope i don't have to get used to it.

4. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

Wow! Never expected THAT!!!! Are we SURE that Peter King wrote that?

5. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

PETA King...

6. TheFactor

TheFactor New Member

overall good stuff except the Brad Smith fantasy plug...

does this guy know the basic concepts of fantasy football? has he ever played in a league?

brad smith will never start on someone's fantasy team. he is a nice gadget type player who could potentially be a very, very solid number 3 wr.

7. lamont_jordan_rules

... agreed with above - the 2 things that jump right out at me ...

1. clemens doesn't get in unless C-P is hurt

2. brad smith doesn't sniff a fantasy football selection

l_j_r

8. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

Finally somebody in the media is pointing out the kendall situation for what it actaully is- moronic...

Trying to renegoitiate a 4 year deal after 1 year? And Kendal has the nerve to call our front office classless! you signed the contract guy...

9. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

Exactly! And not just someone from the media, but one of the most respected names in Sports Reporting... so, this is a message for Pete Kendall. He has to remember that he's got a 4 year deal and he's on the wrong side of 30 and that next year's draft is only about 9 months away and we can draft a guy thats 15 years younger, stronger, faster and won't give us crap about a contract. The best he'll get anywhere else is a one-year deal and he'll be a journeyman.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

tidbit: King was talking about the Steelers on some radio show and he predicted the Steelers would lose to both the Jets and NE

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The one year deal he'd get in Miami would probably be worth twice what he's making here.

If he sees himself as cut by the Jets in a year anyway he'd be foolish not to try to get the last big payday. All of that said he signed a contract and he's probably going to have to live with it.

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

That's weird to read coming from Peter King. I like it better when the media gives us no chance at all...So much for the whole Clemens isn't progressing crap we were hearing before camp started.

13. Scottso

Scottso Member

I agree, I think it is looking more and more like he is going to have to live with this contract. I do'nt think the Jets are going to trade him or release him. I think they are making an example out of him saying that if you sign a contract wtih us, you better be happy with what you are signing cause we are going to hold you to it. Kendall brings up the fact that he signed the contract to help the Jets, but usually when players do that they don't sign for subpar salaries in future years.

14. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Kendall provided a lot of the beat writer's with classic quotes, and was always a go to guy for them when they needed some juice. So... now that he has a problem, the beat writers immediately think "oh, this guy always gave me gold... so I'm going to go hear him out and I'll get a good story". That's really what's fueling this whole thing. He's just bitching though, he'll be here when the season starts and if he knows what's good for him, he'll play and play well because next year when he's 35 nobody is going to match the 2.x million that the Jets have him signed up for.

15. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

funny article... brad smith in fantasy?

i agree with everything else.

16. kelly

kelly Banned