ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MondayNightMiracles

thats great!

I hope we get to see him out there friday....

Do you think Revis won the hold out or the front office?
    I guess the length of the contract will divulge that information to us.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

No one knows for sure tonight, but I know Tannenbaum acknowledged Schwartz's presence at Hofstra during Tanny's interview with Mike Francessa at around 5:30PM. In fact, Francessa was busting Tannenbaum to take him out to a certain Italian restaurant in the area (can't remember the name) and said "a little calimari, a glass of wine, make him feel comfortable and the deal gets done. You lock the doors and you're done by 11." I got the feeling the two were familiar with the place and both enjoyed the dining experience.

So, it sounds like it's going to get done tonite. By the sound of it, I'd be surprised if I didn't see the announcement on SNY by tomorrow morning.

3. nyj55

nyj55 Member

tanny should take him and Mangini to Artie Bucco's restaurant, and then maybe "make him an offer he can't refuse"

4. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Good, its about damn time.

I wonder who gave in, I have a feeling it was the Revis side. We'll see, I just want him in camp at this point.

5. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Now the lasting question will remain: Once Revis is signed and in uniform - what will DaBallHawk do with all his free time?

6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I think they finally agreed to 6 years, but the Jets sweetened the deal at the back end to make it more attractive for him to postpone free agency by a year.

7. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Go into hibernation with Champ

8. KSJets

KSJets New Member

champ's hibernation will end coincidentally around the same time as our first loss. It will be like clockwork.

9. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Of course, but we can enjoy it for now

10. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Glad to hear he is finally almost signed.

11. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I'm almost glad to say we are about to nearly close the book on this chapter of professional, non-aggravating, business, but not personal, holdout

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

NFL.COM Article

Posted: 37 minutes ago
    Jets closing in on deal with first-round pick Revis

Associated Press

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The New York Jets and first-round draft pick Darrelle Revis were closing in on a deal Tuesday night that could end the rookie cornerback's lengthy training camp holdout.

"We've made major, substantial progress," Revis' agent, Neil Schwartz, told The Associated Press. "We're working on it right now."
    New York Jets

Schwartz and Revis were at the Jets' headquarters at Hofstra University discussing a deal with general manager Mike Tannenbaum. Schwartz was uncertain if an agreement would be struck sometime Tuesday night or early Wednesday.

"That, I don't know," Schwartz said. "I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but we're working. We're making progress."

Tannenbaum also told ESPN Radio that talks were moving along.

"We've made very substantial progress and we're going to keep working through the night," Tannenbaum said. "We think we've found a solution."

When asked if the sides had agreed on the length of the contract, Tannenbaum said: "We've reached agreement on where we're ordering dinner from."

Revis, taken 14th overall after New York traded up to select him, became the Jets' first unsigned pick at the start of training camp since linebacker James Farrior in 1997. He has missed 18 practices and the team's preseason opener last Friday against Atlanta since camp opened on July 27.

The holdup in the negotiations reportedly stemmed from the length of the contract. The Jets are looking to sign Revis to a six-year deal, while the cornerback wants a five-year contract.

Once he signs, the Jets expect Revis to compete for the starting job at right cornerback, a position Justin Miller, David Barrett, Hank Poteat and Drew Coleman all took turns at last season. He could also serve as the team's punt returner.

Revis was considered one of the best overall cornerbacks in the draft, and had an outstanding college career at the University of Pittsburgh, finishing with 129 tackles and eight interceptions.

If he signs soon, the only first-round holdout would be top overall pick JaMarcus Russell, the LSU quarterback selected by Oakland.

The New York Jets and first-round draft pick Darrelle Revis were closing in on a deal Tuesday night that would end the touted cornerback's lengthy training camp holdout.

"We've made major, substantial progress," Revis' agent, Neil Schwartz, told The Associated Press. "We're working on it right now."

Schwartz was at the Jets' headquarters at Hofstra University late Tuesday night discussing a deal with general manager Mike Tannenbaum. Schwartz was uncertain if an agreement would be struck sometime Tuesday night or early Wednesday.

"That, I don't know," Schwartz said. "I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but we're working. We're making progress."

About an hour after Tannenbaum, Schwartz and his partner, Jonathan Feinsod, released a joint statement that said talks were moving along, the Jets general manager met briefly with the media.

"We have some more work to do, but I'm optimistic," Tannenbaum said. "Neil's here and we're committed to seeing this thing through. So, barring something unforeseen, hopefully we'll have a resolution here soon."

Tannenbaum said Revis was not present during the negotiations, and wouldn't speculate whether the cornerback would be signed in time to practice Wednesday afternoon.

"It could happen," Tannenbaum said. "It's certainly a possibility, but I don't want to mislead you and say that's certainly going to happen."

Revis, taken 14th overall after New York traded up to select him, became the Jets' first unsigned pick at the start of training camp since linebacker James Farrior in 1997. He has missed 21 practices and the team's preseason opener last Friday against Atlanta since camp opened July 27.

The holdup in the negotiations reportedly stemmed from the length of the contract. The Jets are looking to sign Revis to a six-year deal, while the cornerback wants a five-year contract.

"I wouldn't comment on that," Tannenbaum said when asked if the sides came up with an agreement on the length of the deal.

Once he signs, the Jets expect Revis to compete for the starting job at right cornerback, a position Justin Miller, David Barrett, Hank Poteat and Drew Coleman all took turns at last season. He could also serve as the team's punt returner.

Revis was considered one of the best overall cornerbacks in the draft, and had an outstanding college career at Pittsburgh, finishing with 129 tackles and eight interceptions.

"Neil's been great," Tannenbaum said. "We've had a lot of dialogue, a lot of meetings, a lot of communication and it's just been both sides committed to trying to do something that's good for both sides."

If Revis signs soon, the only first-round holdout would be top overall pick JaMarcus Russell, the LSU quarterback selected by Oakland.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

13. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

According to Rotoworld...

Darrelle Revis' contract with the Jets is expected to be completed later tonight or by Wednesday at the latest. GM Mike Tannenbaum says "it's certainly a possibility" that Revis could be at practice on Wednesday. Good news for a secondary that is currently in shambles due to safety Erik Coleman and cornerback Justin Miller's injuries.

Source: Newsday

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

... did he know something?

15. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

16. Force

Force New Member

That's what I was thinking as well. It will most likley be a 6 year deal with some extra incentives thrown in.

17. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Whatever. It's about friggin time. He's definitely not starting until at least week 3.

18. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Since when was Erik Coleman injured? I know Eric Smith is out, but losing two backups doesn't leave the secondary "in shambles", IMO.

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

hmmm....very interesting....possibly a good call by jets124687496432135464321656513

20. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

First the deal has to get signed; then we will see what we have. While I do agree that he will probably slowly but steadily get phased in during September or even into early October, we will likely see alot of him as punt returner.

He will take a bit of time to learn the defensive schemes and where to be positioned. That will take some time. Even if he has great ability, he still has to learn the system.

Let's get him into good football shape before we saddle him up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.