Thomas Jones injured - strained calf - hopes to be back for opener

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Aug 12, 2007.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Even if he says he can walk on it, I rather him just take off until he is back to 100%.

I'm not worried though.

2. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

I like the overall confidence we have in Thomas Jones; it shows we're aware of his work ethic and overall physical condition to bounce back for Game 1 against New England. If he was a pussy on the other hand, i.e. John Abraham, after an injuury, then I would say we have some worrying to do.

I'm hoping the only difference now is Thomas Jones won't be taking 8 out of 10 hand offs in the first 2 series of the pre season games.

3. CuseMO57

CuseMO57 New Member

his injury does make me worry about the lack of running back depth...besides Leon, who is there really? just two knew guys and hollings, that does not seem good enough...o where, o where did you go cedric???

4. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Depth wise, it's a valid point of who we have as an every down back. Like someone else mentioned earlier, Leon may not be our Thomas Jones replacement but rather a great combination to Jones' between the tackle running. Going by committee with Washington and Ware would not be ideal.

We need Jones back and healthy by 9/9

5. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

bring corey dillon in and pick his brain

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

-Pro Football Talk

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Jones out with strained calf muscle, hopes to return for opener

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- New York Jets running back Thomas Jones has a strained right calf muscle and hopes to return in time for the team's season opener, his agent said Monday.

[​IMG]
    Losing Thomas Jones for any significant length of time would be a blow to the Jets' ground game.

Drew Rosenhaus, Jones' agent, told The Associated Press that he spoke Monday to the star running back, who updated him on the severity of the injury.

"He had an MRI on the right calf and it was determined that he has what is essentially a strain of the calf muscle," Rosenhaus said. "He said the doctor was vague in terms of how much time he would miss, but it would probably be a week-to-week injury."

Rosenhaus added that Jones told him he was "confident he would be ready" for the Jets' season opener at home against New England on Sept. 9.

Jones walked with a slight limp Monday, a day after injuring the leg, and spent most of the morning session working on a hand bike and doing calisthenics. Jones' leg had a smaller wrap -- from the top of the ankle to the top of the calf -- around it than the one he had on after he was injured.

Per team policy, the Jets didn't reveal the nature or severity of the injury, which was first speculated by some to be a high ankle sprain. Jones wasn't made available to the media Sunday or Monday.

"I can tell you that he is working extremely hard, and he'll be back as quickly as he can," coach Eric Mangini said. "Thomas has a pretty strong track record. He's been pretty durable."

Mangini would not say whether Jones would play in the team's next preseason game at home against Minnesota on Friday night.

"Really, I expect him as soon as he can go," Mangini said.

Jones hadn't been touched during running back-linebacker drills Sunday when he went to plant his right foot in front of Brad Kassell and fell. He immediately took off his helmet and untied his shoe before he was examined by a trainer, who wrapped the leg. Jones then limped to the sideline and had a more substantial wrap applied.

Leon Washington worked with the first team offense for the second straight day in Jones' absence.

Losing Jones, who rushed for 1,210 yards and six touchdowns while leading the Bears to the Super Bowl last season, for any significant amount of time would be a blow. The Jets acquired him from Chicago in the offseason to give them a bona fide No. 1 running back after going with a four-man rotation last season.

"Thomas has to focus on himself and get back as quickly as possible," quarterback Chad Pennington said.

In Jones' absence, Washington will likely get the reps with the first team, while veteran Tony Hollings and undrafted rookies Danny Ware and Alvin Banks will split the rest of the carries.

"The other guys have opportunities now to make their case and show what they can do for our football team," Pennington said. "That's the beauty of football: It's a team game and we're all in this together. And when an injury happens, you have to make sure everybody else steps up and we're all accountable to each other and do what's necessary to keep on going."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

8. wmoore29

wmoore29 New Member

They know what he can do, nows the time to really find out who will behind Leon:martin:

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

A strained (calf) muscle is a whole other thing, fellas! No wonder they never iced his ankle! If this is the case, he's gonna be fine in no time. This would also explain why there was no ice on it immediately.

We'll be fine for September 9th.

10. wmoore29

wmoore29 New Member

i guess we will see early how he plays through an injury

11. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

This not releasing any information about injuries is a little annoying – who knows what is going on for real…

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Yeah, but think how annoying it is to Bill Belichick!

September 9th is 3 weeks away.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What a waste of a trade. I wish we had our 2nd rounder back instead of the Bears' second rounder and Injury Jones.

14. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

sorry guys i jinx us again
    i have my own madden curse.
    i played madden on sega growing up
    99 i bought ps2 and madden testaverde goes down i never touch it again
    03 jets and pennington have a great 02 season start of something big i buy madden 03,pennenington breaks wrist against giants.i never played it again
    05 i am vacationing upstate at the lake house,madden comes out,im in a upstate wal mart,say nah it cant be me........pennington and fielder hurt 6 plays apart
    07 i try and i try not to get excited,i see madden 08 on sale early in brooklyn on saturday,i folded and bought it.my boy in work(49ers fan) tells me someone is getting hurt.
    sunday THE NEXT FREAKING DAY!!!!!!! Tjones injured..

i will never play a football video game again if he is seriously injured

15. In Mangini We Trust

In Mangini We Trust New Member

thomas jones is week to week with this injury

saw it on the bottom line of espn

16. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

It sounds like Jones will be back in time for the opener against the Patriots and that is all that matters. As long as he keeps up his conditioning and weight lifting on the side I don't think we need him to be running through any more preseason games right now. We can just give Leon the majority of the carries and let him gel some more with the first team offense. With Jones in he would have gotten the majority of the carries with the first team. Hopefully this can serve to further Leon's development this year.

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It's a calf strain. Calm down a little bit. He's not injury prone (no matter what some people have said on here)

18. JerseyJet27

JerseyJet27 Member

Jones keeps himself in good shape so I am not to worried if he misses the rest of the pre season. He will be ready for opening day. The minor concern would be him not getting reps with the offense in order to get used to running behind a new offensive line.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

20. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Hey what do you guys think of signing a little insurance back. some one like Stephen Davis of the St. Louis Rams......what's the take on him, is he servicable?