Thomas Jones injured - strained calf - hopes to be back for opener

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Aug 12, 2007.

1. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

WOW!!!!! throw a little sarcasm around and all of a sudden my national pride comes into question. must be bush-cheney guys huh? i didnt realize i was pissing on the flag by saying something like "whats more american than bombing brown people".....

just so you know, and maybe this will clear up my thought without offending your sense of nationalism, i think we should have gone into afghanistan, and taken those guys out. i dont think that 3000+ dead, and countless more AMERICANS wounded in a war over oil is exactly what should have happened.

i dont want to get modded, or into an arguement over something i said kidding around...but seriously you guys should relax. because me and you dont think exactly the same, it doesnt mean im the enemy.

#41 KOWIE, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  2. GreenMachine

Guys, stay on topic. If you want to talk politics, take it to the BS forum.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Seemed like more than a little sarcasm, but whatever. I for one did not appreciate it. Not a Republican, either, but I don't consider myself a racist or against "brown people" because I support our country fighting back against thugs, whatever color they are.

4. Italian Seafood

Sorry. I'm done now.

5. Uhm a Jets Fan

Uhm a Jets Fan New Member

I like cheesteaks......yeah!!!

6. Sean_in_titletown

Jets fans unite. Don't fight. Here, just pick on me, a Patriots fan. Have at it. It'll make you feel better. I'll give you some fodder. I'm predicting a 12-14 point victory on the 9th. (virtually ducking as chairs and beer bottles are slung in my direction)

7. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

At least you're a Patriot! ;)

8. Italian Seafood

Maybe time to change that username, huh?

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They say it appears Jones injury is to his calf. Of course the Jets aren't saying anything, this just comes from the media that saw him this morning. Can't imagine what he could have done to his calf just planting his foot and without being touched unless it's nothing more then a bad muscle spasm.

10. Italian Seafood

I read he was stretching and putting weight on it after he did it, so it shouldn't be anything catastrophic.

11. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

more important than your silly soccer/football chat - is there any update today on Jones' injury/condition?

12. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Maybe Pete "Tonya Harding" Kendall kicked him in his sleep.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

If it means anything to you Seafood, I agree... didn't see any "sarcasm" or "humor" in any part of that remark. Kowie must be borrowing his "humor" from Bill Moyer or paying too much attention to Alec Baldwin's remarks lately, but whatever...

Back to the RB position. Fellas, let's not forget we've got rookie free agents Alvin Banks and Danny Ware. Ware has looked very good in TC... T-Bird and Kurt and I saw a few glimpses of him and he handled himself really well the day we were there. He's 6'0" and 234 and a nice pounder. The Star Ledger reports today that he has "passed Banks on the depth chart and is the thrid running back." He carried the rock the other night for 12 carries, 48 yards, exactly 4 ypc.

I'm not saying we've got great depth after Jones and Washington, but let's hope Jones can rest up and be near 100% for September 9th. I don't see Leon as an every down back... no way.

14. jc10

jc10 New Member

On ESPN.com...missed today's practice...other than that nothing new

Jets running back remains sidelined by leg injury
    Associated Press

Updated: August 13, 2007, 2:58 PM ET

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- New York Jets running back Thomas Jones remained sidelined Monday, a day after injuring his lower right leg in practice.

What's The Story?

The Jets aren't saying how bad Thomas Jones' leg injury is, but the running back might have the dreaded high ankle sprain, John Clayton writes in Quick Hits. Blog

Jones walked with a slight limp and spent most of the morning session working on a hand bike and doing calisthenics. Jones' leg had a smaller wrap -- from the top of the ankle to the top of the calf -- around it than the one he had on it after he was injured Sunday.

Per team policy, the Jets did not reveal the nature or severity of the injury, but it appears to be the calf. Jones wasn't made available to the media Sunday or Monday.

"I can tell you that he is working extremely hard, and he'll be back as quickly as he can," coach Eric Mangini said. "Thomas has a pretty strong track record. He's been pretty durable."

Mangini would not say whether Jones would play in the team's next preseason game at home against Minnesota on Friday night.

"Really, I expect him as soon as he can go," Mangini said.

Jones hadn't been touched during running back/linebacker drills Sunday when he went to plant his right foot in front of Brad Kassell and fell. He immediately took off his helmet and untied his shoe before he was examined by a trainer, who wrapped the leg. Jones then limped to the sideline and had a more substantial wrap applied.

Leon Washington worked with the first team offense for the second straight day in Jones' absence.

Losing Jones, who rushed for 1,210 yards and six touchdowns while leading the Bears to the Super Bowl last season, for any significant amount of time would be a blow. The Jets acquired him from Chicago in the offseason to give them a bona fide No. 1 running back after going with a four-man rotation last season.

"Thomas has to focus on himself and get back as quickly as possible," quarterback Chad Pennington said.

If Jones doesn't play Friday, Washington will likely get the reps with the first team, while veteran Tony Hollings and undrafted rookies Danny Ware and Alvin Banks will split the rest of the carries.

"The other guys have opportunities now to make their case and show what they can do for our football team," Pennington said. "That's the beauty of football; it's a team game and we're all in this together. And when an injury happens, you have to make sure everybody else steps up and we're all accountable to each other and do what's necessary to keep on going."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

15. Section 227. Row 5

Maybe this will put some of you at ease somewhat...

I can tell you that with my sprain, which was about as bad a high ankle sprain as you can get, if he was even able to untie his own shoe by himself, he's either got a milder sprain or his pain threshold is through the ionosphere.

I kid you not when I tell you there was NO FREAKIN' WAY I could put ANY weight on my right foot AT ALL, much less ride a bike or step on it without somebody carting me off and me holding onto their shoulders. And it blew up immediately... the ankle gets twice as big as normal.

So if he was even stepping on it and riding a bike, here's hoping this thing is not at all as bad as we're imagining (if it really is an ankle sprain).

16. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Yeah ? you?re right. I broke my ankle really bad when I was around 17 (needed to have it screwed and plated back together). After that ? I used to laugh at people who would bitch about an ankle sprain?until I sprained one bad.

I swear that hurt worse than shattering it?and it lingered for ever. When they x-rayed it and said it wasn?t broken?I told them they were fkin? nuts?to check it again!

17. Section 227. Row 5

Oh yeah, tell me about it. Even sticking my foot in the ice bucket, I damn-near passed out. And it still blew up like a freakin' balloon. Then you can't even begin to treat it until AFTER the swelling is gone, which took about 10 days or so. Only then can you start soaking it in WARM water then, to increase the blood flow to the ankle, which in turn helps it heal.

I probably was back playing tennis after about 6-8 weeks, can't remember for sure. But I swear, even then and up until 6 months to a year, it was still noticable. All your ligaments etc., get so freakin' stretched out, the whole thing is a major time consumer as far as back to 100%.

But that's why I say, Jones DEFINITELY does not have a major sprain, or you would have seen him being helped off and into the locker room immediately. I guarantee you he probably rolled it over slightly. With treatment and taping it up good and tight right before the game, he'll suck it up and be on the field for the Patriots game, no question.

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

excerpt from a artucke

"Jones hadn't been touched during running back-linebacker drills Auga. 12 when he went to plant his right foot in front of Brad Kassell and fell. He immediately took off his helmet and untied his shoe before he was examined by a trainer, who wrapped the leg. Jones then limped to the sideline and had a more substantial wrap applied. "

its obvious he was afraid of Kassell. I mean him and Chatham are awesome.

19. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

20. zeike

zeike New Member

Update

Per CBS today:

"Jones walked with a slight limp and spent most of the morning session working on a hand bike and doing calisthenics. Jones' leg had a smaller wrap -- from the top of the ankle to the top of the calf -- around it than the one he had on it after he was injured Sunday."

If the wrap was from the top of the ankle to the lower calf at least we can most likely rule out achilles which would have ended his season and possibly worse. Sounds like a high ankle sprain and that can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks. Does sund like he'll be ready for the season opener though - which is the only thing that really matters.