ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, they added a lot of people and I know one pre-season game doesn't mean much but from what I see now all those additions add up to nothing better then what we had last year.

2. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

you would think that now that Revis has watched a preseason game, that he and his agent are going to try and rekindle the negotiations, and that the Jets should be eager to talk to him, after watching our secondary lit up on the Falcons first TD drive, and then watching Poteat play, who i thought was absolutely dreadful

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea, after last nights preformance he walks in with a bit more leverage. DB's looked like garbage last night except for a few. Rhodes play was a disappointment...especially considering he called out Revis just a few days ago.

I know it's only the first preseason game so I won't get to far ahead of myself, but I hope Rhodes keeps the focus he had last year. He, like Mangini at times, seems to like hobnobbing with high society. Really hoping that doesn't become a distraction.

5. wonderboy24

wonderboy24 Member

just give him 5 years and get him in camp

6. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Coleman will be a huge improvement over Kimo at DE. All we really need is one of the OLB's to step up opposite Thomas.

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Was listening to an NFL talk show on sattelite radio last night.
    (dont know which - wifes car , I dont deive it much)

Basically stated the Jets were/are willing to give Revis enough $$ to make it worth his while to sign for the extra year...
    It ended up with that at some point he is going to have to tell his agent to screw himself and do whats best for himself ( not the agent).

This was not a Jets show or a NY show but a national NFL show as the next segment was on the Bears

8. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

If that's true, I believe that this situation is squarely on the agent. After not being able to get Kendall a raise or released, Neil Schwartz, doesn't want to look like the Jets own him if Revis signs a 6-year deal. Add that to the impact on his ability to attract future first-round clients and it is easy to see that the agent is the problem, not the solution.

(However, what would that say about the smarts of Revis.)

9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The Analyst was pretty much concluding as you summed it up that it was a game of Chicken and that Schwartz is more worried about his ability to attract future clients than his current ones best interest.

My personal take is the Jets should say hey we want you for six and will give Money slated as a 11 or 12 pick if you do / if you want to do five than we will pay you $$ for a 16 -- your choice take it or leave it. That way there is give and take on both sides , if you sign the extra year we want we will pay you extra - if we give you the length you want than you compensate us by taking less $$.

#489 Section 336, Aug 12, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  10. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

It says nothing... Revis is just a kid... can't really fault him...

11. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

Gang Green's version of Chris Angel

Revis will be in camp by 8/15 (Wed). Jets will get the 6 year deal with some a bunch of "clauses and incentives". When this happens come here and ask me how I knew.

12. Don

And if he isn't can we come here and ask you WTF were you talking about?

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm writing that on my calendar right now. Maybe I'll even plan a party for Wednesday night. Thank you for the early warning.

14. Ryan

Ryan Banned

Come on now revis.... you might as well sign for six years, at this rate you will be lucky to play five.

15. DaBallhawk

CB Drew Coleman, who had a pretty good game on Friday, was also admitted to the main ward with a left knee injury. He joined fellow patients Jones, Joe Kowalewski, Justin Miller, Stacy Tutt, Eric Smith and Robert Turner.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/

:breakdance:

16. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

You had a magic 8-ball surgically inplanted in your ass??? No, don't tell me, I'll wait 'til Wednesday for the answer.

#496 dabrowsk1, Aug 12, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  17. DaBallhawk

POSTED 8:00 a.m. EDT, August 13, 2007

PRECEDENT DOESN'T FAVOR JETS

Recently, Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News recently explained that the Jets have decided to hold firm in their desire for cornerback Darrelle Revis to sign a six-year contract based on extensive "research and preparation" performed by G.M. Mike Tannenbaum.

But we wonder whether that research includes the precedent that the Jets created over the past eight years, during which time Tannenbaum had key roles within the organization.

It apparently doesn't.

In 2000, for example, the Jets had four first-round draft choices: No. 12 pick Shaun Ellis, No. 13 pick John Abraham, No. 18 pick Chad Pennington, and No. 27 pick Anthony Becht.

All four signed five-year deals.

In 2001, Santana Moss was the No. 16 overall selection with the Jets. He signed a five-year deal.

In 2002, Bryan Thomas was the No. 22 overall pick. He signed a five-year deal.

In 2003, the Jets traded up to make Dewayne Robertson the No. 4 overall selection. Like most players taken at the very top of the draft, Robertson signed a longer-term deal. In Robertson's case, it was a seven-year contract.

In 2004, Jonathan Vilma signed a five-year deal despite being the No. 12 overall pick.

In 2005, the Jets didn't have a first round pick.

Finally, in 2006 the Jets had two first-rounders in the first year of the current caps on contract length. The No. 4 overall pick, tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, signed a six-year deal. The No. 29 overall selection, Nick Mangold, inked a five-year contract.

This year, the Jets are trying to cram a six-year deal down the throat of Revis, the No. 14 pick, even though every other player around him has signed a five-year contract (or a six-year deal that readily voids to five).

What research did Tannenbaum do that would justify a departure from this precedent? And if the response is that the Jets have opted to embark on a new course, this undermines (in our view) the team's refusal to also depart from its precedent of not including voidable years in their rookie deals.

So what's really happening here? We think that Jets coach Eric Mangini has carried from his last employer, the Patriots, the habit of insisting on the maximum possible contract length. But if that's the case, should the team be trying to sell its position as the product of hours and hours of research via apparent leaks to the media? The better approach is to say nothing, and to insist on a six-year term because the CBA gives them the right to do so -- regardless of whether many of the other teams using picks in the top half of round one opted not to make similar demands.

18. Don

Right or wrong, the Jets just don't want to have to deal with Pennington, Ferguson and Revis the same year. Although it seems unlikely Pennington will be here in 5 years anyway.

#498 Don, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  19. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

If Ferguson and Revis are any good, are the Jets really going to wait until BOTH of their deals run out to discuss extensions with them? And Pennington's contract coming off the books will be a benefit to the Jets cap situation. Not to mention because DBrick will be at the end of his rookie contract, the opening of his next deal should be a lot more cap friendly then the tail end of that 6 year pact.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Brick (and Mangold) signed a 5 year deal last year so even if Revis signed a 5 year they wouldn't end up the same year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.