ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

August 10, 2007
    It's Time to Get Revis Deal Done

Today is the two-week mark of the Darrelle Revis contract dispute. (Pet peeve: Technically, it?s not a ?holdout? because he?s not under contract. It?s a dispute.) How it has lasted this long is mind boggling, considering all but one other player (the Raiders? JaMarcus Russell) has signed. I mean, he?s the 14th pick in the draft, not a top-5 selection.

Frankly, I?m a little surprised the Jets are being so adamant about signing him to a six-year deal, considering the market has clearly established that the going length is five years. Evidently, GM Mike Tannenbaum did a lot of research and preparation, determining that six years is absolutely the way to go for the organization. (You wouldn?t believe some of the research he compiled in advance of this negotiation.) But now it?s time for the GM to borrow a page from his coach?s playbook:

Audible.

Eric Mangini, much like his mentor, Bill Belichick, has demonstrated the ability to adjust on the fly, whether it?s week to week or quarter to quarter. Tannenbaum needs to bend, and so does Revis? agent, Neil Schwartz. It?s all about compromise. If there isn?t a compromise, Revis could end up missing the preseason. The Jets won?t look bad if they cave in because the rest of the league is doing five-year deals. Why are they trying to be different?

Let me throw this out: Maybe Team Revis would do a six-year deal if it includes blockbuster escalator clauses in the middle of the contract. That way, if he becomes a real player, he?ll get paid as one of the best at his position. It?ll make both sides feel good. Look, I?m not an expert, but there has to be room for negotiating.

The Jets are the ones looking bad here. They?re the ones trying to go against the market. They?re the ones that traded up 11 spots to get him. They need him. They should pay him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

2. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Yeah...Massachussetts is by far the worst state ever. Every time I'm driving to Maine and see the Gillette Stadium sign on 95, I'm tempted to rip off to the side and piss on it. Speaking of which, I may do so with a JETS jersey on and have someone take a pictire of it in the middle of the night.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

IS is the key word in your sentence, not hoping. I'm not going to get into a battle of English skills with you but if you meant to say Hopefully he's a shutdown corner then, OK, fair enough.

4. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Fair enough; I can only agree to disagree because it wasn't my intention to say that he's already what he hasn't yet proven. Out of context or not, I can see how you now read that after going back and reading it myself.

If 13A is alive and well come Week 1, make your way over near the front curb that faces the stadium and you have a beer waiting for you.

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

So pumped about tonight , but my guts hurt when I think that our #1 pick will not even be suited up.
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I hope Revis NEVER signs.

7. gustoonarmy

It is starting to stick in the throat a bit. At the end of the day Revis is the one who makes the ultimate decision.

8. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I'm thinking it may get done this weekend. I have no evidence to base this on, just a feeling (although I could say that both sides will be more motivated to get it done after seeing the team actually play a GAME w/o DR, it's just conjecture)

9. akibud

akibud Active Member

especially if something terrible were to happen to one or more of the other corners on the team.

10. gustoonarmy

Sign Revis Already!

Posted on August 10, 2007 by Anthony "Fooch" Fucilli

What a mess Jets GM, Mike Tannenbaum, has made in trying to negotiate a contract with his prized first-round draft pick, Darrelle Revis.

I know some will tell you that the Jets should hold firm with the rookie defensive back out of Pittsburgh, because Revis and his agent, Neil Schwartz, have the nerve to not accept Iron Mike's offer of six years. But I have always felt football shouldn't be compared to brain surgery.

So let's see, the Jets trade up to steal Revis, which they pound their chest about. They tell us how he will compete for a starting job at cornerback. And then they decide they're going to become mavericks in the contract department.

The fact remains that this year's first-round draft picks have signed five-year deals and that Revis is one of only two unsigned first-rounders. The fact also remains that the Jets, thanks to Tannenbaum, have set back Darrelle's first-year development.

It's time for the Jets GM to stop hurting his team and sign the player the organization was so excited about drafting. We have already seen what a mess the Pete Kendall situation has turned into because it wasn't handled the right way back in March.

I know head coach, Eric Mangini, and the veteran guard have to share some blame in that situation, but isn't the GM in charge?

Right now, Iron Mike needs to forget about his ego and do what's best for Gang Green.

11. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

or maybe if the DBs do really well tonight it will add pressure for Revis

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Umm, who says Tanny ISN'T doing what is best for GANG GREEN?

That's the thing that keeps digging at my nerves. The media and fans who support the whole "give the guy what he wants" side are NOT thinking about what is best for Gang Green.

The fact remains, Mike Tannenbaum is a CAP GENIUS. He's not just good at what he does, he's ELITE.

Maybe, just maybe, MT is thinking ahead 5-6 years right now, and determining who will be here, who won't, and who he will need to throw serious cash at to keep.

But people just want to attack him for a perceived hardline stance. Well, then by the same token, Revis is holding a hardline stance, and it doesn't make him any better for it.

Yes, the Jets traded up for him. Big deal. They have a right, and a responsibility to run the business of the team in the best manner possible. Revis will continue to do what is right for Revis, but Tanny has to do what is right for the NY Jets.

I can't figure out what is so hard to understand about that concept.

13. gustoonarmy

The facts are though , Revis isn't signed and not in camp. Adjusting to life in the NFL is difficault, so as the article says , this year MAY in all probability be a right off for him and the team , we all lose , not great management so far.
    Mr T is an elite capoligist...that may have made a mistake.Only time will tell. If this goes even more wrong than it already is Mr T is going to be left with an ostrich sized egg on his face.
    Lets not forget the common factor in both of the Jets major woes , Kendall and Revis' agent. (his name escapes me at the mo)

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yup, as I've said from the beginning, the Kendall situation is affecting this one.

Anyway, it may not even necessarily be a mistake, regardless of how long it takes.

Let's say for argument's sake this lasts until the end of TC. Revis arrives a few days before the Pats game, and doesn't see his first action till, say, week 3. Let's even say he has the ability to start at some point this year, but it's not until December.

We'd still have him for the playoffs this year if we make it.

Beyond that, we wouldn't know if this was a good move or not for another 5 years. In 2012 we'll have to see the overall cap situation, and who needs to be signed, before we can even BEGIN to speculate whether it was worth waiting it out with Revis for a 6 year deal.

So all the media guys, and all the Jets fans who are screaming that Tanny is making a huge mistake will need to wait AT LEAST half a decade before saying "HAH! See!? We TOLD you that you were screwing up!"

Speaking before that just allows the opportunity for Tanny to turn around in 5 years and say "Hah! See?! I KNEW I was doing the best job for the NY Jets!"

But Jets fans never want to look past today. Rather than show some patience for a regime that has yet to even disappoint us, people would rather jump on the media bandwagon of hatred.

You guys do know the media PREFERS these stories to something as simple as "Darelle Revis was signed today to a x-year contract valued at $xxM," right?

15. gustoonarmy

If your scenario of Revis coming in at about say week 3 happens , what then worries me is if/when he makes a gargantuan mistake. How will that affect him and how will the leagues most fickle fans react?
    It could make or break him.
    What a mess.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Okay, so what would be the difference between a mistake in week 3 against the Dolphins, and a mistake in week 1 against the Pats?

Well, except that we probably couldn't recover from a mistake against the Pats.

17. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

All I know is, Tom Brady is reading of the holdout and the injuries and probably licking his chops... less Jets DBs to stand in the way of Brady>Moss.

God, I'm getting apoplectic just thinking about it.

19. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Would you give a day's pay for a Revis deal to get done today?

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Actually, I think I should get a day of Revis' pay for dealing with this BS for so long now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.