ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

This comment goes to show that the fans and even reports have no idea what is going on. Don hears Russell wants 20% to 30% more while I heard from a Mortensen reports that the Raiders are coming in below the Williams deal.

(not questioning you, Don, just proving a point that no one really knows what is going on with Russell or Revis)

2. LWC611

LWC611 Member

At the end of the day, If Revis thinks it is best for him to sign a 5 year deal that's all that matters. For those that say he is scrweing himself, he is a grown man, he can do that too.

What amazes me, is that we thought so much of him that we traded up about 12 or 14 spots in the draft to get him and we are now qubiling about one year. Revis has every right to fight for the contract he wants. If that means he sits out then he sits. The Jets could have got the second rated corner at their draft position or a decent corner in the second round with the pick they would have held on to) and they would not be dealing with this. Maybe that guy would have signed to contract the jets wanted.

If you want the best corner in college, you have to pay, and the Jets are unwilling to give the guy a 5 year deal even though they moved up to draft him shame on the Jets.

I think Mr. T is being a little to arrogant on this one.

3. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

It's coming to the point where I'm just checking this thread in hopes to see a post that reads "REVIS SIGNED!"

It's ridiculous that it's him and Russell. And Russell's situation is legitimate right now; he at least told the Raiders that unless they give him X amount, he shouldn't draft him. Now they drafted him and trying to negotiate. Revis is a different story and at this point I hope he saw what Keyshawn wrote about continuing to work out and stay in shape.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

arrogant? I don't think so, he simply has a bigger picture in mind of the teams needs over the long haul while Revis only has his interests in mind. and the team has all the power in this situation.

sure, Revis can hold out the entire year and re-enter the draft so he gets that 5 year contract, but where does that leave him? adding on the year he sits, that would expire that 5 year contract at the same time as his 6 year contract would expire, except he would lose a years salary for sitting out, not to mention risks falling in next years draft and costing himself more money. there is no chance he does that unless he is an idiot, which means at the end he will sign the 6 year contract as long as Tanny doesn't budge. so what will Revis do? hold out through training camp, lose valuable practicing time, sign his 6 year contract at the end of training camp, and be a back up come week one. hopefully he is as good as advertised and is a quick learner and can help the team significantly by mid-season. Tannenbaum is probably well aware of this and is willing to risk that because the benfits of the 6th year are more than having him in TC this season. that is hardly arrogant, that is sensible.

5. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I see the panic button has been pushed here... AWESOME!!! should make for some entertaining reading and stuff...

6. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

1) yes, makes sense. all the other GMs are obviously retarded for not forcing their rookies to sign a 6yr deal. big picture my ass...revis will get a new contract in 3-4 years or he will get cut if he doesn't pan out. he will not stay here for 6yrs without getting an extension midway through.

2) do you realize we invested two very high picks in order to get this kid? why would you say the team has all the power in this situation? again: it's an option for revis to re-enter the draft. it's not going to happen, but it's an option. what option do the jets have?

7. illmatic

illmatic New Member

I'm sorry...I don't feel bad for anyone about to make millions to play a game. As for who's right or wrong? I don't care they both have vaild points in their minds and I'm confident they will work out a compromise to make this work. As for those who are blaming tanny - grow up, he obviously has the owners backing on this one otherwise he wouldn't be doing it, and his reasons are for the long term good of the team, not one day or one training camp but long term.

8. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I started out being indifferent to the Revis situation, when he gets to camp he gets to camp, he is a rookie CB. It is not like he is our QB or starting LT. But I am starting to dislike Revis just because of this thread. OMG, Revis hasn't been in camp for 10 days, the sky is falling, Tanny and the FO are arrogant one hit wonders, the defense is going to be in ruins, and because of this holdout my dog who is a HUGE Jets fan went on a drinking binge and ended up on COPS - poor Buster.

For the love of God people relax. I'm going back to the bunker...

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

considering your sarcasm, by your logic, then the GM's who did sign their rookies to 6 year deals were retarded. if that is not the case, than prefering the 6 year to the 5 year deal has nothing to do with mental disabilities and is simply preference of the GM, and our GM prefers the 6 year deal.

I absolutely agree that if he works out he will get a new deal before the contract expires, but the point is that the 6 year deal provides just a smidgen more flexibility of when that contract gets reworked. that is big picture, at least to me.

10. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

the Jets have the option of not signing him and forcing him to re-enter the draft. and you know Revis does not want to do that.

11. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Am I the only one getting really weary of this Kendall/Revis soap opera?

I can't wait for the big headline: Revis signs..Finally

and

Kendall traded to <insert loser team here>

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Yes it's quite annoying but I'm sure everything will work out. No need to panic until we hear something along the lines of "talks have broken down".

Now get back to the bunker and cook us a meal woman.

13. EarlytoRise

EarlytoRise Member

Yeah, every morning when I check the news I try to envision the Revis signs headline. Keeping fingers crossed.

Curtis Martin's line of "dont sacrifice what you really want for what you want today" is interestingly applicable to both sides in this situation. Hopefully we will come out alright with this soon.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The Jets have the option of doing nothing. They are playing that option well. That's the difference between the one signing the checks and the one cashing them.

15. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Nope. I'm officially on the PUP list. You boys will have to fend for yourselves :smile:

I still think (and I'm more than likely wrong) the agent is the one who holds all the cards right now. I totally dislike trouble on a team. I've been screaming for Revis since he declared for the draft but this situation is really trying my patience.

16. Fakterx

Fakterx New Member

So if Revis ends up re-entering the draft, do we get compensation from whatever team picks him up? Or would we basically have just wasted a #1 pick like a bunch of idiots?

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Oh, Bo Jackson did that..lol. Tampa took him with the first overall pick in 1986. In 1987 Oakland drafted him in the 7th round. I guess that's why not too many people do it. You do get one comp pick.

#397 Don, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  18. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

we will actually have wasted two Round 1 picks.

19. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

actually, we would have wasted #25 #59 selection (2nd round) and #164 selection (5th round).

20. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

yeah, that'll show him! :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.