ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I like this post a lot, pretty much what I was thinking. Tana isn't stupid and I guess he feels this kid can still come in late and play a big part in our season.

2. NYSackXchange

NYSackXchange Active Member

The FO isnt doing a great job with this situation. Now the great Tangini is getting it from the press. Just watched espn first take and they are wondering why the Jets front office is trying to force revis into a 6 year deal when most others got 5. Also, they said that Revis could be dug in for the long haul. Just sign the guy already!

3. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

It has been 20 minutes since the last post and Revis still hasn't been signed.

4. capitan jet

capitan jet New Member

i hope they sign him quickly , i am starting to get a little nervous. even if he is a great talent he still must practice.

5. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

[​IMG]

6. capitan jet

capitan jet New Member

hahah i knew someone would post that. lets hope he doesnt turn out like that.

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I'm going to hold my breath until the FO comes to their senses and signs Revis!!! :breakdance:

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The Jets remain steadfast that their policy is not to issue 6-year contracts with a clause that makes the final year voidable. As I understand it, other teams are doing that but establishing "incentives" (or requirements) that trigger this clause, which in essence then makes it a 5-year deal should the incentives be achieved.

Of course, the Jets could do the same and relax their rules or "policies," and offer Revis the same kind of contract with some very difficult incentives for him to achieve. If he's so damned good, he won't have any qualms about signing because he should be confident he can make the incentives and thereby convert his 6-year into a 5-year deal.

But the problem with this (and I'm sure this is the way the Jets see it) is that it opens the door to every future pick to want the same. And once the floodgates are open, then what surely will follow is that agents will then start negotiating down the incentives on 6-year deals to the point where they're extremely easy to achieve (i.e., don't fall asleep at meetings and you've satisfied the threshold).

I don't know. I see both sides. This is a tough deal, but it's really starting to piss me off, because both sides are jeopardizing any chances of Revis starting and being productive, IMO. If it goes on any longer, you'll see the guy basically standing on the sidelines and pissing away most of the year anyway.

9. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

However, a 6 yr deal with a voidable last yr means his signing bonus would have to count over 5, which is why they are being hard-ass about the 6th year. My opinion is the jets want it to be 6 for cap reasons.

10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

At this Point Id rather the Front Office give him an Ultimatum and deadline , if he doesnt sign - let him sit out the year , reenter the draft , get picked lower next year , get a five year deal for less money (which would end the same as a six year deal would now).
    Right Now its a game of Chicken and as long as the Jets dont pay attention to the media and the whining fans they can win it.

We gave up alot to move up for this guy and we should lock him up for 6.

#310 Section 336, Aug 7, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  11. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

If he is not in camp this week I don;t think he will start for the first few games....and if he doesn;t get a lot of training camp and preseason reps then eh will have to get caught up when it counts, and that could be bad,.

12. Section 227. Row 5

Yes, good point, which makes us see the Jets' position even more clearly. If a team loosens its bargaining position to the point where they've got many of these contracts out there with easily voidable final years, it puts a huge unknown out there as to their future cap. A team could get itself in real trouble by giving enough guys easily achievable incentives, which is probably going to happen once you've made it known to the world of agents out there that you can be shoved around.

Yes, it makes it easier today to sign these guys and all is well today, but the nightmares commence 4, 5, 6 years down the road as they all hit their incentives and naturally elect to void the final year. And just because some teams are willing to do this and turn themselves into a 2005 Washington Redskins doesn't mean Tanny has to join the crowd.

So yeah, it's a PITA right now, but I do see Tannenbaum's point. He doesn't want agents to feel he's an easy target, otherwise 5 years from now we're sucking wind.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He was never expected to start until at least game four or five even if he was in camp from day one.

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

No, but it would have been nice to have him ready for the Week 1 game against the Pats.

15. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah... even if he wasn't starting. Just to have him ready (conditioned) and have him get some playing time in preseason (our first game is Friday night already, which he's almost certain to miss) would have been good, just in case, God Forbid, somebody goes down or Moss is burning our ass royally.

That first Pats game is SOOOOOOO important. It'll set the tone in the division right from the start. For them to come into our house and beat us in Game One is unacceptable. I don't even want to think about it...

16. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

i assume he is still working out and doing drills just not at camp?

this sucks

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No matter what he is doing on his own it probably won't have him in the same shape as the rest of the team will be by the end of this week and that's when the threat of an injury comes up.

18. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

He's playing Madden- seeing how good he would be had he shown up on time for TC.

19. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

I don't think it matters if he was expected to start or not. The question remains, however, will Revis be ready to play Week 1?

He could be on the sideline when 1st string runs out; but that doesn't mean he won't be on the field until Week 4. We need Revis on the field in the home opener, starting or not.

20. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

What is his Madden rating? Is it close to friggin' Ty Law's 98????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.