ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Too bad you're past the Adult Swim generational cutoff, this is the best night of TV for me.

2. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

That would be quite the middle ground from the two sides, but I believe that Tannenbaum already stated (mentioned somewhere in this thread if I'm not mistaken) that he wants a true 6 year deal, not a 5 year with a voidable 6th. So while it makes sense to us, and probably to Revis, it's not something that the Jets appear to be willing to agree on. Again, could be wrong, but with each passing day it seems to me the Jets are hurting themselves more and more, both in this situation as well as the public eye.

As for resolving your disagreement with Daballhawk, it is officially/legally a 6 year deal, but technically will be judged as a 5 year contract. If I remember correctly, NFL contracts are viewed by the salary cap by likely incentives met, so in this case, with the 6th year being in all likelihood voided in both the cases of Lynch and Harrell, they are seen by most as 5 year deals. If that made sense.

3. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Good to see you, GH. As always, I perk up and pay attention when you're posting. :up:

4. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

yup. well right now it sounds more like "either sign the 6yr deal or keep holding out". here's an update from tony pauline (SI):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/08/05/holdouts/index.html?section=si_latest

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They say Justin Miller pulled or strained a hamstring yesterday. Wonder if that will get Revis in any quicker now.

6. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Man, if Revis agreed to voidable sixth year contract, then Tanny really is f@cking up.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

And therein is your answer. The Jets are not being unreasonable. They have the option of time on their side. They traded up for the guy, and they have a clear plan to get the deal done their way.

Here's an idea. Somehow I doubt most of the people on his side are "happy" with their current salaries. Go into your boss' office, and demand that you get a raise, and threaten to stay home until you get it. Let me know what happened when you get home from the unemployment office.

The employer ALWAYS has the advantage over the employee. If you believe any differently, you're going to be severely disappointed in life.

BTW: The longer Revis holds out, the more important it will be for the Jets to require a 6 year committment. If it turns out he misses significant time this year, it will result in a 5 year deal anyway.

8. akibud

akibud Active Member

I think the situation is a lot different for those of us who already have an agreed to salary with our employer. I would be the first one to say Revis is wrong if he had a contract he was trying to get out of. But as it is, he is smart enough, or being represented by people smart enough to know this. So, at the present, both parties need to come up with a compromise.

For the Jets to say they didn't draft him to be an immediate starter is a little puzzling.... to me. If that was the case, I felt they would have been better off getting more picks to shore up their depth at a lot of positions instead of giving up that depth to get their future corner. Next yrs draft position might have given them that future star easily...

I don't buy it... But then again, what does that matter, I AM UNHAPPY WITH MY SALARY... where's that boss of mine???

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Haha..now that Carolina won their deal with Beason, Revis better hope they now don't tell him it will be a six year deal and no second year bonus money to boot. You can bet you will see a lot more contracts without second year bonus money next year now that there is precedent.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Of course they need to compromise. Hell, I'd give the guy the 5 years if it were me, but I'm not in charge.

It's just driving me insane that people are acting like the Jets are some evil organization, hell-bent on forcing this kid into slavery.

My only point is that the Jets obviously have a clear plan in place for the future, and a 6 year deal is right in line with those plans. They aren't being "unfair," they're simply running a business.

11. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I have the complete opposite take on this. IMO Revis's agent is using this contract a bargining chip for Kendall situation. He represents them both and has no leverage with kendall. So he probably is making this contract negociation really difficult to soften the Jets on their Kendall stance.

Either way, weather this holdout is because of the agent or the Jets FO. Revis is the one missing out, he is the one who needs to learn the system. So because of his holdout his first year is washed out. Why not sign a 6 year contract now it will only be 5 years by time he gets on the field.

12. freestater

freestater New Member

Unless Tanny caves after all his blowhard talk. Then we only get the kid locked up for 4.

13. akibud

akibud Active Member

and thats why I think Revis is in the position that he is and going forward the jets, unless they start winning regular season games and SBs, they will have a problem with players and contracts. They are making clear that they are running a business and the players are their commodities. Players like to feel that they are a part of the process. They count, more than just as employees.

This works great for the Patriots because they are proven winners. Players will take less money for the chance to win. This organization is asking for the sacrifices and offers hopes of a winning team. But if it does not work out, the players loose out. Its a tough situation to be in for both sides. But I can't fault anyone for trying to get a favorable deal when their is precedence.

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Two more first rounders signed for five years. If that's the only holdup, I'm starting to wonder why they don't just get him into camp after trading up to get him. I guess he can return kicks even if he knows nothing about the defense.

15. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I agree with you 100%. This really bothers me because Kerry Rhodes is definitely watching this situation closely and he has to be resigned asap. If I was a opposing player I would think twice before I came to a team that played this kind of hardball and has won nothing. Revis is not asking for anything that is not fair. He wants what the people that were drafted close to him are getting. At the end of the day the Jets are doing what they think is best for their team and Revis should do what is best for himself from a financial standpoint. This is not the game it was 20 years ago and Revis has to make his money while he can. I think sometimes people forget that athletes are have extraordinary circumstances and how they negotiate their salaries are not like the regular person. Life is not fair and they have the ability to negotiate a better life than the regular guy and should take advantage of it while they can.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Here's the thing. Let's, for argument's sake, say the Jets DON'T give the players the opportunity to win. Let's assume they lose, and lose, and lose, and these guys get nothing for the "abuse" they're getting in contract negotiations.

Both Mangini and Tannenbaum, will be fired. End of story.

After that, a new regime will be here, and they can write whatever rules about deal making that they like. Free agents won't be afraid to sign here.

On the other hand, if we win, then Tanny looks like a genius. Moreso if Revis pans out and they get the 6 year deal done.

It's a no-lose situation for the Jets. Regardless of the outcome, the organization comes out on top. This is quite the difference from the previous regime.

Not to mention, except for Kendall, I don't hear many complaints coming out of camp this year. (There was the Moore situation, but he shut up as soon as the Jets asked him to just give them a little time.) I'd say guys are happy enough to be with this team.

17. illmatic

illmatic New Member

As far as Tanny's reasoning for wanting a 6 year deal - I think it has more to do with cap saftey of the future than anything else. I saw in an article that Penny, & Brick among others have deals that will come up in 5 years and Tanny is trying to avoid having so many players be up for deals at the same time

18. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

If brick and mangold got 5 year contracts last year, then a six year deal this year would make them all come up the same year, so that can't be the reason.

19. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

This is a point being sorely missed on this board, but it's an easy one to miss, because it wasn't this way 10 days ago or even noticable 5 days ago. But with every passing day comes a huge multiplier effect concerning this point, IMO (and apparently Alio's as well).

If this deal does not get done very soon and Revis does not report to camp quickly, chances of him being a starter or even somewhat useful diminish greatly... he's missing out on some VERY important time, both on and off the field.

For one, I'm not in the camp that says Revis "was never going to be a starter anyway." What GM would move up the way we did and not hope that some possibility exists for that? So this is a foolish assumption, IMO.

But what's happening now for Revis is, his hopes of a true 5-year deal are tangling with the law diminishing returns. The more he holds out, the more his 5-year deal becomes, in essence, a 4-year deal for the Jets, necessitating an even harder stance on the Jets' part to drive home a true 6-year deal (because, for all pratical purposes, it's becoming a 5-year deal due to the holdout). I hope this makes sense to some, because it sort of does to me.

It's kind of like that old Chinese finger-torture thing... the more he struggles and holds out each day for the true 5 year deal, the more resistance the Jets will have to one because of a diminishing value for the 1st year.

This is exactly why this is becoming most exasperating. I've been to camp a couple of times now and believe me, Mangini isn't bullshitting when he says he's missing out on a lot. He really is, fellas. And Revis' agent is orchestrating a self-fulfilling prophesy for his client because the need for a 6-year deal increases drastically for the Jets with every passing day.

Tanny and Revis: Dudes, get this done, NOW!

20. Bear66

Bear66 New Member

Guess New Jersey math is a little off. Magold 5 year deal is up in 2011, Revis 6 year deal wouyd be up in 2013. They are probably concerned about 2012 so they can spread out some of those contracts into that year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.